Much better than mexican ones. They are about the same price as a normal american strat and they sound the same so i say get it if you like the looks. For god's sake play one before you buy it though.
I've played a couple at a loocal guitar srore. Not really any different from any new Tele or Strat. I find the road worn Tele more realistic looking. The Teles have that fender home-made look

However, I wouldn't buy one. They don't do as well as Standard models in the resale market. A Standard Strat or Tele holds its value better than any other guitar from Fender or guitars from other makers. The road worns are like signature guitars, etc....hard to find a buyer willing to pay a premium for that particular model.
i prefer them to standard mim guitars. the slightly different production methods, in my mind, result in a guitar that plays just that little bit better than stock.

but, as stated above, try the thing before you buy!!!!
don't understand why anyone would want a guitar that looks like it's had the hell beat out of it without being the one who's actually done the beating
its my dream to have a american strat. Ever since i was a lil nigerian baby i wanted a strat. I got off the boat and i see a man playing this stringed sounding instrument. I say I want one im nigerian bby.... but mama said no way ho say. U need to get a job. But all i can afford is a MiM im so sad by this....
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
No offense but they are utterly pointless...why buy an old beat up looking guitar when you can buy a new one?

Then again,if you really want that beat up look why not go used?you'll sav shit loads of money that way..

The way I see it,you are literally paying some guys in the fender factory to make a few scratches and make it look old for you...WTF?you can buy a brandnew guitar and scratch it yourself
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jul 15, 2010,
I've never played one but to me they wouldn't seem to sound any different or play any different. They are still MIM. You just seem to be paying form something different visually.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Or literally buy a used, real "road worn" guitar at less than half the price.

Quote by archenemyfan
No offense but they are utterly pointless...why buy an old beat up looking guitar when you can buy a new one?

Then again,if you really want that beat up look why not go used?you'll sav shit loads of money that way..

The way I see it,you are literally paying some guys in the fender factory to make a few scratches and make it look old for you...WTF?you can buy a brandnew guitar and scratch it yourself
They're a little bit better build quality than an MiM, so they play pretty well. But for a little bit more money, just get an American Standard and break it in yourself.
Quote by archenemyfan

Because nothing is better then a neck thats been broken in and feels like these. As for the pickups I'm pretty sure they're texas specials so they're better then stock.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by silly6-string
its my dream to have a american strat. Ever since i was a lil nigerian baby i wanted a strat. I got off the boat and i see a man playing this stringed sounding instrument. I say I want one im nigerian bby.... but mama said no way ho say. U need to get a job. But all i can afford is a MiM im so sad by this....

José*

Sorry, but that bothered me!

I think the road worn series runs at about $900 and the fender american series runs at about $1,000 right? If I were you I would just save up the extra money, buy the American series and break it in myself. It's your choice and you only know what is going to satisfy you, but at least try out a road worn and an American series... that way you know for sure if you're doing a justice by buying a road worn
I'll add my 2 cents in as well. I played a road worn 50s and 60s. I prefer the 50s neck profile, but both felt amazing, not lacquer when sliding up and down the board, just feels amazing. But then came the issue of action. Due to the 7.25 radius on the neck, if you like to bend strings, its difficult. You almost feel like you get caught up, and if your going for whole tone bends you will def get some dead notes. You can easily fix this by raising the action, not sure how much higher.
Go American standard, pretty much same price range, higher quality, and a much higher appreciation rate.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by mrbreeze317
don't understand why anyone would want a guitar that looks like it's had the hell beat out of it without being the one who's actually done the beating

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if i wanted the look of a beat up strat i would just start beating mine up
Any improvement in quality over the standard MIM is entirely in the player's mind. Fact is, they use the same parts and are built in exactly the same way as the regular MIM Fenders. The only difference is that after they're finished, they get aged in a very obviously fake and forced fashion. The only actual, objective improvement is a vaguely thinner finish (we're only talking hundredths of an inch difference though).

Buy a standard MIM guitar, take some fine grit wet&dry sandpaper to it and chuck a bunch of keys at it. Congratulations, you now have a Fender Road Worn guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I can't play the damn things. The back of the neck on the two or three that I've tried are too rough for me to play with any efficiency. I like the smooth satin feel that most strats have. If they could make it look aged without compromising the feeling then I might deal with it. I do love the beat up look though, and i've found that fender does a decent job of it in the factory.

As far as tone, they sound better than any mim strat I've played, but I'd pick an american special or an american standard over it in a heart beat.

Don't buy into that thinner finish crap either. Any slightly barely noticeable difference that could possibly make could be easily replicated with a little EQ tweaking on your amp.

EDIT: another good option, buy an MIM strat, sand it and nick it as suggested, throw in some locking tuners, upgrade pickups, lock the trem in place or upgrade it, you probably will have a guitar that plays better than the road worn strat.
Last edited by RoughDraft274 at Jul 16, 2010,