I get pretty much all my music on second-hand CDs.

Distributing music through file sharing and torrents is illegal.
Distributing music by selling second-hand CDs is not.

If you think about it, a store that sells second-hand CDs isn't paying the record companies, and they're making a profit for themselves. Surely that is worse than just sharing music for free, as with torrents?

Or am I overlooking an important detail?

Please explain, Pit.

EDIT: Apostrophes were removed to please the fussier readers.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 15, 2010,
I've thought this for a while too.

*prepares to be shot down*
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
The companies already made a profit off that CD so who cares?
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
I guess second-hand CDs are just as bad as illegally downloading, in the sense of supporting the artist. You'll support the store you bought the CD from however.

I do hope however that there would be some sort of way that the artist gets money from the second-hand CDs too
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I just Google "Elephant penis", and was strangely aroused.

Apparently, I'm a good shitter

Quote by TomusAM
jonne.i just took the best dump I ever seen
Quote by jonne.i
I do hope however that there would be some sort of way that the artist gets money from the second-hand CDs too

I doubt this is true.

The store buys used CDs from "the general public" for a low price, and then sells them for a higher price to earn a profit for themselves.
I don't think they pay the publisher, distributer, artist and whoever else.
A CD is an item distributed from a record company to a store, just as for instance a car. So by your logic, buying used cars is wrong?
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by sfaune92
A CD is an item distributed from a record company to a store, just as for instance a car. So by your logic, buying used cars is wrong?

As wrong as

Downloading a car
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Fact is that most CDs bought in most countries (I would have thought) are bought brand new. The second-hand market is typically fairly small and so is pretty much not that much of a deal to the record companies.
It's no different to one person buying a CD, copying it and selling it on. Whoever resells it still gets money, but none of will go to the artists or record label which the label will count as bad sales and maybe drop the artist.
Judging by what youre saying, buying and selling used guitars, amps, cars, tools, whatever is also illegal... I dont get your point.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by sashki
a store that sells second-hand CDs isn't paying the record companies, and they're making a profit for themselves.

...which is exactly why second hand CDs are for the win!
People probably don't have a problem with it because the CD has actually been paid for at some point, therefore the artist has received money for it, after that it doesn't really matter what happens to the actual CD.
Plus it's on a much smaller scale, a used CD will be listened to by 1 person or a couple of people, torrents go out to thousands of people.
The music is also in the form that the artist intended it to be, I've read interviews where band members hate torrenting because the unfinished product has been leaked, usually without their permission, which doesn't truly represent them, whereas if it's a CD the artist was obviously happy for people to hear it.

That's all I can think of, really.
Quote by mtshark
Judging by what youre saying, buying and selling used guitars, amps, cars, tools, whatever is also illegal... I dont get your point.

The RIAA doesn't make a fuss about sharing musical instruments.
Quote by cornmancer
Once you buy the CD, it's your business what is done with the CD. If you were to decide to sell it, that's your business because it's your CD

This. The record company isnt gonna care.
The company has already made money from the initial sale so its not AS bad as illegally downloading.
But like someone said already the 2nd hand cd market is tiny doubt it makes much difference
Quote by AreaMan
File sharing shouldn't be illegal. That's the problem.

Why? Do you just feel entitled to have whatever you want or do you have a reason for file sharing to be legal? I've no problem with torrenting whatsoever, but your statement bugs me. All you have to do to be cool with me is elaborate though, so please do.
Quote by cornmancer
Once you buy the CD, it's your business what is done with the CD. If you were to decide to sell it, that's your business because it's your CD

But if you share the CD with others through Limewire or something, then suddenly everyone flips a shit.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
People probably don't have a problem with it because the CD has actually been paid for at some point, therefore the artist has received money for it, after that it doesn't really matter what happens to the actual CD.
Plus it's on a much smaller scale, a used CD will be listened to by 1 person or a couple of people, torrents go out to thousands of people.
The music is also in the form that the artist intended it to be, I've read interviews where band members hate torrenting because the unfinished product has been leaked, usually without their permission, which doesn't truly represent them, whereas if it's a CD the artist was obviously happy for people to hear it.

That's all I can think of, really.

This makes sense.

So if it's on a small scale, they don't care, but they still sue individual people for file sharing?
Last edited by sashki at Jul 15, 2010,
They're the same principle, it's just that the file sharing problem is way bigger than second hand CDs.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by duncang
As wrong as

Downloading a car

iseewhatyoudidthere!

but OT: i buy second hand CD's if it's old/not available to buy where the artist gets money from it. i'm all for paying for something that makes me happy.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
The record label and brands if you are talking about any branded item, have already made back the money to cover the overheads and turned over a profit.

This second hand selling is just the record label being greedy.
Last edited by GezzyDiversion at Jul 15, 2010,
I do use spotify free all of the time on the pc, and do download audiobooks from torrent sites onto my mp3.

But when it comes to in-car music i always buy off amazon, usually old albums and they can be had for only a couple of quid, always prefer the proper cd and cases. i dont see the problem with 2nd hand cds atall.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
Last edited by vacant_pistol at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by cornmancer

Yeah obviously you can resell your CD thats not really a problem. What is a problem is using your CD to burn another CD and selling/giving it to someone else, which means there is a CD out there that neither the artist or the record company are getting money for.