so i have serious gas for a 70s gibson grabber. they have that tone, and i hear that the neck is very nice too. im tempted to pick one up off the ebay. one question though, are these any good? i play in a metalcore band and this would be my drop c bass, would that be a big no no or would it be ok?

thanks
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Amazing basses. But if you're playing in drop C, it might get a bit muddy.

Look into the Gibson G3. Big brother of the Grabber:

It'll have a bit more definition than the Grabber. Whatever you do, just don't get a Ripper... mud city.

If you still are jazzed on a Grabber... check out the band, These Arms Are Snakes, the bassist, Brian Cook (also of Botch and Russian Circles) uses a Grabber through some Emperor Cabs, 70's Ampeg SVTs and more pedals than you can shake a stick at.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
well i know that the bassist form fall of troy uses them, and they certainly can get heavy. and i really like the sliding pickups, so i do want a grabber, but mike dirnt used a g3, so ive heard of them before
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
I've played a G3 and it was SUPER bright and metalic sounding. I loved that, but I don't really see it working in metalcore. THe tone was akin to a rick I guess. I have o experiance with the G1 (grabber) though.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Would you be getting a 70's Grabber or one of the re-issues?
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by the_perdestrian
I've played a G3 and it was SUPER bright and metalic sounding. I loved that, but I don't really see it working in metalcore. THe tone was akin to a rick I guess. I have o experiance with the G1 (grabber) though.

i love bright and metalic sounding basses, and i eq my bass as such. its sits really well in the mix, so it will work just fine

i would be getting an orignal, not a ressiue
Quote by BobDetroit
Word. Well good luck on the bidding! haha, wish i could afford my dream Gibson... an RD Artist. Some day...

If you find it getting too muddy add an EQ pedal and boost the Highs and High-mids.

IMHO, Grabbers are aesthetically one of the best out there.

Cheers!
i saw that they go for like 900 to 1200 on ebay and thats not bad at all
Quote by BobDetroit
I think it's a shame that Gibson don't make more basses. I mean there's the T-Bird, which is awesome IMO, and the Grabber, which looks horrible, (again IMO), the Growler, which again I think is horrible, and the SG bass, wihhc I don't like the way it plays. They are all good quality sound etc. but the only one I actually like is the T-Bird.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Hm. Never played a Grabber. But they seem to be great basses...go for it. I don't like to enclose instruments to certain genres.
Quote by Bassist Rising
I think it's a shame that Gibson don't make more basses. I mean there's the T-Bird, which is awesome IMO, and the Grabber, which looks horrible, (again IMO), the Growler, which again I think is horrible, and the SG bass, wihhc I don't like the way it plays. They are all good quality sound etc. but the only one I actually like is the T-Bird.

They don't even need to make different basses. They just need to make MORE of the one's they've had and discontinued.

Right now it's like they have the Tbird (IV, V and NS sig) and the SG bass as regular runs; along with WAY too expensive Grabber and Ripper reissues (like $3000 each). That's IT!

Just thinking about all the bass models they had in the 70's bums me out.

I wish Gibson had a 'middle of the road' line, like mexican Fenders. Something that would be between an Epiphone and a Gibson.

Gibson hates bassists.
The old Grabbers are amazing for metalcore, especially if you have a dirty tone in mind (like pushing an Ampeg and even to the point of like using a fuzz factory or something). I don't know about newer ones. One of my favorite tones is Eddie Breckenridge's tone on The Artist In The Ambulance album by Thrice (which is a Grabber with a fuzz factory through an Ampeg). It is more post-hardcore/experimental rock, but the tone easily dominates in metalcore.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
well i use an acoustic running through an svt 6x10, but will get an ampeg once i get my grabber. and i use a russian big muff all the time, so i think it will sound good. but today my band disbanded . so im starting up a punk popis band with some core infleuences, so the grabber will be even better. and no, we wont be like a day to remember.
Quote by BobDetroit
The bass player from Queens of the Stone Age plays a G1 in C standard though SVTs. Get it set up properly and you'll be fine.

EDIT: Shit it's a Ripper. Ignore that first part.
Last edited by consecutive e at Jul 17, 2010,
lol yeah. i think im gunna get one
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Din of Win
They don't even need to make different basses. They just need to make MORE of the one's they've had and discontinued.

Right now it's like they have the Tbird (IV, V and NS sig)

Isn't the Gibson V discontinued?

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
yeah it is discontinued i think
Quote by BobDetroit