Poll: Do you feel guilty buying from a company that uses cheap/slave/child labour?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you feel guilty buying from a company that uses cheap/slave/child labour?
Yes, I boycott all companies that I know use these methods
1 1%
Yes, I try to avoid buying from these companies
23 16%
Yes, but I still buy from them all the time
16 11%
No, it's cheap and I need the product
56 38%
No, infact I take pleasure in doing so
18 12%
Indifferent
33 22%
Voters: 147.
Page 1 of 2
Poll coming up soon.

Do you feel guilty for buying cheap goods, knowing that they were potentially, and most likely, made by slave labour/child labour/child slave labour?

I know I feel guilty thinking that my lack of finance justifies a child making goods so cheap they can barely survive, so I try to avoid shopping for clothes as much as possible because I can only really afford Primark.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
No, but I do feel guilty for turning lights on because I'm creating pollution that is killing the earth, and children in sub saharan africa are dying of AIDS which apparently is also a consequence of using electrical energy.

True story.
Quote by metallicafan616
Poll coming up soon.

Do you feel guilty for buying cheap goods, knowing that they were potentially, and most likely, made by slave labour/child labour/child slave labour?

I know I feel guilty thinking that my lack of finance justifies a child making goods so cheap they can barely survive, so I try to avoid shopping for clothes as much as possible because I can only really afford Primark.

Those kids may only be making goods for so little money they can barely survive, but without making that money they probably wouldn't survive at all.
Nope. I don't shop at Walmart.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Those kids may only be making goods for so little money they can barely survive, but without making that money they probably wouldn't survive at all.

Yeah, I generally think that to try and justify it.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Nah, I just don't think about it.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I just Google "Elephant penis", and was strangely aroused.

Apparently, I'm a good shitter

Quote by TomusAM
jonne.i just took the best dump I ever seen
I actually never thought about it like that. I don't feel guilty, but you have given me something to think about TS.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
I'd like to see the price of your clothes if they were sewn by people paid 20 bucks an hour with social advantages.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by metallicafan616
Yeah, I generally think that to try and justify it.

You don't just have to 'think' it...it's actually true. I saw a special on ABC on sweatshops wherein citizens actually addressed their concern over Americans protesting sweat shops. The industry we build over there provides cheap labor for us, but higher pay for them. They make more in those "sweat shops" than they would doing the same labor at a locally owned job. It truly does help them economically as it helps us.
Quote by SawGuru
You don't just have to 'think' it...it's actually true. I saw a special on ABC on sweatshops wherein citizens actually addressed their concern over Americans protesting sweat shops. The industry we build over there provides cheap labor for us, but higher pay for them. They make more in those "sweat shops" than they would doing the same labor at a locally owned job. It truly does help them economically as it helps us.

It's because people apply their own idea of poverty to other completely different cultures and societies, basically. What is peanuts to us is loads to them.
TS, what makes you think ALL or MOST cheap goods are made by child labor? In fact, I doubt that over 10% of cheap goods are made using child labor.
Quote by SawGuru

John Stossle FTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VaHmgoB10E
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
TS, what makes you think ALL or MOST cheap goods are made by child labor? In fact, I doubt that over 10% of cheap goods are made using child labor.

Made in China, made in indonesia, made in Sri Lanka, Made in Taiwan ...

Child labor, maybe not. But human exploitation, definitely, yeah.

Even if some company are like: Made in the USA, it's not always true.

Some companies buy different pieces (screws, metal plates, circuits) made in Third-World countries and ASSEMBLE the final product in the States.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Doesn't bother me. If I saw it firsthand or whatev, it probably.

Capitalism works for me though.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
What is peanuts to us is loads to them.

Is it, actually? I thought it was still a tiny amount, barely enough to survive?
Plus, they work 30+ hour shifts in hazardous conditions to meet the demands of the company.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's because people apply their own idea of poverty to other completely different cultures and societies, basically. What is peanuts to us is loads to them.

But it's not like they're doing alright... Their rights as workers are non-existant. And when they have no rights, it means they have no strength as a group (union); and if they have no strength, they have no leverage to get workers' rights.

Seriously, NOBODY is OK with working 20 hours a day for 50 cents. Sure 50 cents will have more purchasing power in their country than in the states (for example), but it really ain't shit.
I'm not saying it's right. What I'm saying is, shutting these places down is completely not what should be done. Improving the conditions is. Removing these labourers from their working lives will provide more problems than it solves.

I have been to India for an extended period of time. Where I was, three meals in decent restaurants came to less than a quid a day, to put things into perspective. Small amounts of money (to us) goes a bloody long way out there. It would be ideal to cut the 20 hour days and that's what should be done, but feeling guilty for buying the stuff whilst trying to get the conditions improved is silly to me, as it's that work that is keeping those people alive.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm not saying it's right. What I'm saying is, shutting these places down is completely not what should be done. Improving the conditions is. Removing these labourers from their working lives will provide more problems than it solves.

Agreed.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I have been to India for an extended period of time. Where I was, three meals in decent restaurants came to less than a quid a day, to put things into perspective. Small amounts of money (to us) goes a bloody long way out there. It would be ideal to cut the 20 hour days and that's what should be done, but feeling guilty for buying the stuff whilst trying to get the conditions improved is silly to me, as it's that work that is keeping those people alive.

Sure things are cheaper there. I'm not denying that.

I don't feel bad when I buy products like that either (I don't feel good either though). But I do feel bad for their situation.
I don't know if I do or not. I buy from thrift stores so the money doesn't go to the company anyways.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Exploitation ftl.

I make attempts to buy stuff that's made without screwing people over, but the only clothing shop that I actually know to treat workers not terribly is American Apparel, and that shit's expensive yo.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Not at all. In fact, I enjoy my cheap work boots knowing that a child in Africa probably died to bring them to me.
No, I do not feel guilty, they have a job because people like me are willing to buy there cheaply made goodies
After reading some things in here (like people being able to actually make a living off of working in sweatshops), i am gonna say no, i don't feel guilty, if an employee is mistreated at their workplace, it isn't my fault in buying the product.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Agreed. If the factories close they won't even get that few dollars.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat. - Douglas Adams
Quote by Psihodeliko
Agreed. If the factories close they won't even get that few dollars.

But don't you think that is a bit of a passive approach to the problem?

I'm not trying to be all self-righteous and stuff... I'm not really actively trying to get better working conditions for these people. I'm just asking for the discussion's sake...
Quote by JeanMi36
I'd like to see the price of your clothes if they were sewn by people paid 20 bucks an hour with social advantages.

Not much higher than what you would be paying now.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I actually feel guilt free about the situation.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
tbh you don't actually see th kid sewing the football boot up for 2¢ a millenium. so no guilt for me
i'm Ginger its fun
No i gotta have it and i dont have the money so i get the stuff you gotta do what you gotta do
Page 1 of 2