Not sure if this is the right place for this, but today when i plugged in my guitar into my amp it sounded BAD. I've got the gain cranked up all the way and it sounds almost clean as if i have the volume on the guitar at 1. Tried different settings on the amp checked volume and nothing. So i switched to a different amp (would have tried a different guitar in the amp but i don't have my others with me) and same thing happened on the second amp.

Frustrating thing is, it was working 2 days ago when i was playing and no ones touched my guitar or amp since.

I'm guessing it's the guitar, but i opened it up and everything looks to be hooked up right, no loose wires or anything. The guitar is an Ibanez RG5EX1 btw.

Any help is appreciated.
Do you have actives in it? The battery could be dying in the actives. Otherwise, all I can think of is a bad cord if you checked the port, pickups and all.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I'm not familiar with the guitar, but the stock images on the web appear to have passives.

Have you tried a different cable?
You do have the volume on your guitar up right? I hope to God that isn't your problem.
But yeah, if you have active pickups, it's probably your battery going out.

EDIT:
I checked, those are passive pickups. Try it with another cable. If it's still bad, it's the electronics in your guitar.
Last edited by jorge_regula at Jul 15, 2010,
I've got passives in it, tried 2 different cords checked all the connections, and the port, and nothing. Volume is on the guitar is up too lol
Last edited by Shadow650 at Jul 15, 2010,
probably the cable, try another cable,im almost sure that its the problem(already happened to me).
Last edited by SHnakes at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by SHnakes
probably the cable, try another cable,im almost sure that its the problem(already happened to me).

I only have 2 cables, but i tried them both and its the same...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these guitars have passive pickups from the factory.
Unless you have an EMG pickup installed into your RG then yes, it could be the battery.
I usually double-check the cable by trying another cable that definitely works.
If the problem remains, then I would check my jack on the guitar. Wiggle the end of the cable around while it is plugged into your guitar jack (while holding out a loud chord). If you hear anything it could be your guitar jack. Also, make sure your knobs on the guitar are fully turned up. If the knobs make static noise thru your amp when you turn them, then they may need replacing. Could also be a loose wire, usually the guitar jack will get twisted around when the nut isn't tight. This will lead to the wire(s) breaking loose. If you have little knowledge with the electronics on guitars then take it to your local music shop for repair.
Try messing with the pickup selector switch. My Demon V has a problem like that every now and then. Just try flipping the switch until the distortion comes back.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Gibson Les Paul BFG
Gibson SG Faded Special
Yamaha RGX 312
Ok i'm confused now, found out its actually the tone knob. When the tone knob is completely turned off at 0 it sounds like what i explained earlier, but as soon as i turn the knob just slightly it works perfectly. So basically it sounds good as long as i dont have the knob at 0 when it gets to zero the volume and distortion instantly go almost off
The pot could have overheated
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Gibson Les Paul BFG
Gibson SG Faded Special
Yamaha RGX 312
Quote by LP_Guitarist05
The pot could have overheated

Yeah maybe, i just moved to a new area and its almost 100 degrees outside
Quote by Shadow650
Yeah maybe, i just moved to a new area and its almost 100 degrees outside

Yeah, try keeping your guitars in a basement or have a fan constantly running in the room with your guitars. And always keep them in a case.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Gibson Les Paul BFG
Gibson SG Faded Special
Yamaha RGX 312