I've been doing my alternate picking
and it seems im getting worse every time i practice
the picking itself is improving, but there is a problem which is getting bigger every time i practice and it really irritates me. it gives me insecurities telling me not to raise the tempo.
so basically its inside picking (when i change strings picking towards the new string)
when i change strings, the pick slightly touches (and i mean very slightly. it is so small it causes a harmonic) the string i dont want to pick
so basically when i do this

|--9-7-5-------------|
|----------9-7-5-----|

the result is

|-9-7-5x---------|
|---------9-7-5--|

or

|----------5---------|
|--5-7-9----9-7-5-|

result is

|---------5x--------|
|-5-7-9-----9-7-5-|

the touch is very small and it happens when i practice slowly. when i play faster it doesnt happen, probbably cause my movement is bigger. im guessing its getting worse caouse my movement gets smaller every time i practice. should i just ignore it or what?

how can i get over this? i dont want to make my movement bigger while practicing slowly. currently doing 25% from my highest speed.

i am practicing
|---2---2---2---2---2----|
|-2---2---2---2---2------|

to get over this but it doesnt really help

thanks
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Jul 15, 2010,
If I'm understanding this right, just move the pick further away from the string before you pass back over it to the next string. Do it slowly and make yourself conscious of the effort you're making, and then increase the speed slowly.
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
Quote by HWFG1
If I'm understanding this right, just move the pick further away from the string before you pass back over it to the next string. Do it slowly and make yourself conscious of the effort you're making, and then increase the speed slowly.

that increases movement too much, and as i hear, excess movement is baad

this actually happens like once every ten times but its STILL THERE and i feel like i cant move on to a new tempo
should i just not think of making movement as small as i can? when i do that all is good lol
but still keeping it small ofc
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Jul 15, 2010,
You could just tuck the pick in while you carry over the string, instead. But, I don't really think it's too much movement to get it out of range of hitting a string it's not supposed to. Long as you're not, like, flinging your hand six inches back from the strings, you should be fine. But, other people may have other ideas, sit back a while and see if anyone else replies.
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
Quote by HWFG1
You could just tuck the pick in while you carry over the string, instead. But, I don't really think it's too much movement to get it out of range of hitting a string it's not supposed to. Long as you're not, like, flinging your hand six inches back from the strings, you should be fine. But, other people may have other ideas, sit back a while and see if anyone else replies.

actually your idea did help i tried it, thanks

i noticed another problem
my pick gets stuck in the string a little sometimes. when i angle it then it is too smooth, i barely hear anything and its uncomfortable
if i make the pick stiffer by gripping it tighter, that is just great for tension
i guess i should tuck the pick in my fingers more so no more than the tip is out.