ok, so ive been thinking lately, i change string gauges alot, and when i say alot i mean a different gauge every 2 weeks. so does this affect my neck? will my neck warp? do i have to setup my neck every time i change string gauge?

because now ive chosen my favorite string gauge(08-48). So do i have to get a guitar setup for this?

Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
Yes, you have to change the neck setup every time you change string gauge. That includes adjusting tension and cutting a new nut to fit the strings. So yeah, get your guitar set up for that string gauge then don't change it unless you're willing to adjust it again.
ouch! well then if its for my guitar playing then im willing to pay for it

thx
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à

Quote by jorge_regula
Yes, you have to change the neck setup every time you change string gauge. That includes adjusting tension and cutting a new nut to fit the strings. So yeah, get your guitar set up for that string gauge then don't change it unless you're willing to adjust it again.

do i really need new nuts...lmao thats funny....but seriously!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood

Quote by ThatGuy153à

If its a small change in gauge, eg 9s to 10s, you probably wont need to do a setup. And you definately won't need to file the nut
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by guitarscreams
do i really need new nuts...lmao thats funny....but seriously!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Nope, not really.
damn this stuff is complicated all of a sudden 3 years and ive never knew a neck could warp and i had to get whole ****ing setup
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood

Quote by ThatGuy153à

It entirely depends on what you are changing between - which you don't mention - and what your guitar is as well.

Changing from 9's to 10's on my Telecaster made no difference at all and it didn't need setting up again - but my strat is much more sensitive to string changes (and not just the bridge) - your average nut will also cope with a small change in strings without needing to be adjusted.

if you are making big jumps of gauge, then you most likely do need to set up your guitar after each change.

EDIT: is this the same guitar you have the other thread for - the one about the warped neck??
Last edited by mark_wuk at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by guitarscreams

If it's a small change (9's to 10's... or something to that effect), you could probably get away with your old nut. I wouldn't jump from 8's to 13's on the same nut though.

Why would you change string gauges that frequently anyway? It must be difficult to get any consistency when bending notes if you're constantly compensating for bigger/smaller strings than you had last week.

If you plan on sticking with your current string gauge, then definitely get a pro setup if you don't know how to do it. Or better yet... learn how to do it yourself (there are lots of resources these days, but learn from someone who knows if you can.)

0.008's are pretty thin, aren't they? What kind of music do you play?
Quote by jerm138
If it's a small change (9's to 10's... or something to that effect), you could probably get away with your old nut. I wouldn't jump from 8's to 13's on the same nut though.

Why would you change string gauges that frequently anyway? It must be difficult to get any consistency when bending notes if you're constantly compensating for bigger/smaller strings than you had last week.

If you plan on sticking with your current string gauge, then definitely get a pro setup if you don't know how to do it. Or better yet... learn how to do it yourself (there are lots of resources these days, but learn from someone who knows if you can.)

0.008's are pretty thin, aren't they? What kind of music do you play?

well i used to like 12-54 but tryed smaller ones and i like the feel better i play metal(All That Remains) all the way to rock(All Time Low) so should i get bigger ones or smaller i dont know really and what will i tell the guy that does the setup?
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood

Quote by ThatGuy153à

Quote by guitarscreams
well i used to like 12-54 but tryed smaller ones and i like the feel better i play metal(All That Remains) all the way to rock(All Time Low) so should i get bigger ones or smaller i dont know really and what will i tell the guy that does the setup?

Get what you want, not what someone tells you. You like 8's? Get 8's.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Quote by guitarscreams
ok, so ive been thinking lately, i change string gauges alot, and when i say alot i mean a different gauge every 2 weeks. so does this affect my neck? will my neck warp? do i have to setup my neck every time i change string gauge?

because now ive chosen my favorite string gauge(08-48). So do i have to get a guitar setup for this?

yes you must get it set up for it.

Also, Yes you must not steal someone's avatar
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
yes you must get it set up for it.

Also, Yes you must not steal someone's avatar

lmao
I agree, get whatever strings you prefer. Typically, the bigger the strings, the better the tone and sustain, but more difficult and painful to play. So it's a balancing act between tone/sustain and playability. Most people want to use the thickest strings they can comfortably use.

I would be a little concerned about breakage if playing metal on .008's, and you may have a hard time getting good sustain with such thin strings. Most people go with .009's or .010's as a "middle of the road" compromise. I used to play 9's. Moved up to 10's last year and haven't looked back.

BUT... if you prefer 8's... then use 8's!