So I'm looking for help with playing fast solos like you get in a lot of rock and metal. In particular I want to be able to play the solos in Metallica's, Airbourne's and ACDC's songs but obviously they are fast so I can't do them.

To give you an idea of my ability I can play some of the solos in Oasis' songs and a couple of slower ACDC ones like Highway to Hell and Back in Black. I've also learnt a couple of others like Hotel California, some of Stairway to Heaven and the intro solo in Sanitarium by Metallica.

So how would I go from playing the slower solos I can do now to playing faster ones like in Seek and Destroy (Metallica) and Rocker (ACDC)?
Personally, I like to break fast solos down into parts. I start with the first part, taking it slowly of course, until I can play it slowly without thinking about it, then once I get it up to speed I move on to the next part. Then put them all together, and youve got a solo! It works for me
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Well you need to work on your alternate picking to develop your speed. This takes time of course. You don't suddenly develop speed overnight. You need to do exercises that will develop the speed of both your picking and fretting hand.

How are your hammer-ons and pull-offs? Also, can you do any fret tapping? And another thing for getting away from pentatonics and blues scales is to learn the '3-notes-per-string- method of playing major scales, minor scales and modes....you can develop a lot of speed using these types of scale patterns because you can play legato (hammer-ons and pull-offs) on the 3 notes and across the strings, meaning fast passages are possible to play more easily. Look up '3-notes-per-string' scales and work on them and not just standard blues scales/pentatonics in box shapes.

I'm not sure if this is any help but have you tried 'Guitar Burning Speed', it has tons of exercises that will help you develop your chops so you can play the lightning fast stuff >>> Guitar Burning Speed

2 other really good ebooks/audio courses are Guitar Speed Secret and Screaming Fingers - if you can make time to practice the exercises you should, over time, be able to play the technical/fast stuff you want.
Last edited by GuitarManNeil at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by GuitarManNeil
Well you need to work on your alternate picking to develop your speed. This takes time of course. You don't suddenly develop speed overnight. You need to do exercises that will develop the speed of both your picking and fretting hand.

How are your hammer-ons and pull-offs? Also, can you do any fret tapping? And another thing for getting away from pentatonics and blues scales is to learn the '3-notes-per-string- method of playing major scales, minor scales and modes....you can develop a lot of speed using these types of scale patterns because you can play legato (hammer-ons and pull-offs) on the 3 notes and across the strings, meaning fast passages are possible to play more easily. Look up '3-notes-per-string' scales and work on them and not just standard blues scales/pentatonics in box shapes.

Make sure you're doing these with a metronome