Hello everyone. I am considering a new amp, and at first I was considering a 20-watt Jet City head(I posted a thread about this). But I was also looking at other amps, maybe for something with more headroom, and I found the Vox AC30 Valve reactor. The vox website said that this amp is both solid state and tube, so I was wondering would that be 30 solid state watts, or 30 tube watts. Also how would it compare to the all-tube AC30(which is out of my price range) Thanx in advance.
It's got a single preamp tube, so it's really just a SS amp with a little bit of tube tone thrown in.
The AC30 is far better, which is reflected in the price. You can't really compare the two.
Yeah don't mess with the VR's, they are much cheaper for a reason. If you want the true AC30 tone, go all tube.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
No, it's not a good idea.

Also, I'd like to point out that, as I said in your other thread, a watt is a watt. There are no "tube watts" or "solid state watts."
Quote by MrFndr

Also, I'd like to point out that, as I said in your other thread, a watt is a watt. There are no "tube watts" or "solid state watts."

I know but as was explained to me, tube watts seem louder or whatever so I was wondering would it seem quieter like a solid state or louder like a tune amps since it's a hybrid of the two
I played both AC30s the other day, the CC2 and the VR because I myself am looking to aquire a Vox AC30. The difference in volume and tone between the CC2 and VR was no contest. The CC2 is the far better amp.
Quote by smmSTV
I know but as was explained to me, tube watts seem louder or whatever so I was wondering would it seem quieter like a solid state or louder like a tune amps since it's a hybrid of the two

I have a Vox VT30 and it has a tube in the preamp as well, it is the same sort of deal. It is not that loud and a bad gig amp. I'd only suggest it as a practice amp.
Quote by MrFndr

Technically no, but our ears don't know science.

Tube amps *appear* louder than solid state amps.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Technically no, but our ears don't know science.

Tube amps *appear* louder than solid state amps.

I know, I tried to help explain it in his other thread. It's just when people refer to the perceived volume of each kind of amp as "tube watts" or "SS watts" it kind of annoys me; I guess you could call it my pet peeve if you will. I gotta work on that.

Also smm, have you ever played a tube amp? If not, you'll be pleasantly surprised compared to your Spider(In both volume and tone). You should definitely check out the Jet City you were asking about, it'll fit you just fine.
Quote by MrFndr
Also smm, have you ever played a tube amp? If not, you'll be pleasantly surprised compared to your Spider(In both volume and tone). You should definitely check out the Jet City you were asking about, it'll fit you just fine.

nope, but im looking forward to it, LOL. Hopefully I can try it out in guitar center or something today.

Anyway would anyone know if the 20 watt jet city combo has a line out for an extension cab?
Careful with your terminology - a line out is different than an extension cab output. A line out is a recording output from the preamp. To answer your question though, yes, it does have an extension cab out.
Quote by Roc8995
Careful with your terminology - a line out is different than an extension cab output. A line out is a recording output from the preamp. To answer your question though, yes, it does have an extension cab out.

Oh, ok with the vox it gets even more confusing cuz it has an extension cab output that when used, mutes the speakers in the combo, and another one that doesn't, and a line out.

Anyway I was originally gonna look at the jet city head but now I'm thinking the combo is more economical, so I just wanted to know if i could attach extra speakers if necessary.
I haven't played one, but apparently they are pretty good according the Vox community. Not to mention lighter. I can't imagine if you're gigging that people would be able to tell much of a difference, plus carrying round a full valve AC30?

If you're going for pure tone, then go for the real thing. If you're looking for something to carry around a lot, then I'd go for the VR.
Cam Sampbell's my hero