I have a love hate relationship with my digitech compressor/sustain pedal. Why? Because it's a buzz monster! I'm serious I have my Boss Noise gate set perfectly and I still get hum. So yeah I have plans of getting rid of it, but I really like the rich sound you get from a compressor pedal so I have intentions of replacing it. So my question is what's the best compressor/sustain pedal out there? Is the Boss one any good?
They bring up quiet signals so of course there will be noise. Some will have a better noise floor than others. For transparent compression, the Joemeek FloorQ is amazing. The Diamond Comp and Demeter Compulator are tied for second IMO. For a change in tone that a lot of country players like, nothing beats an Analog Man CompROSSor or Keeley Comp. The Analog Man Orange Squeezer is nice but noisier than the other units due to its (by the others standards) primitive design and components selection. It does sound vastly different though, I really liked mine with single coils.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i just (today!) got a boss cs3. i'm fairly pleased with it, although there is a bit of noise when the sustain knob is cranked up.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
i just (today!) got a boss cs3. i'm fairly pleased with it, although there is a bit of noise when the sustain knob is cranked up.

is it as bad as the Digitech one? You can't even turn it past 9 o'clock without getting hum!
I've had the boss and the digitech, and didn't like either one. Any compressor is going to be inherently noisy, especially if you're turning it up high.
The Diamond compressor and the Barber Tone press are quite good. I use the EHX soul preacher, which has a ton of coloration and compression/artifacts, so if you're looking for it to really sound like you're using a compressor, that's the right one. It is rather noisy though.
Quote by daggerrun
is it as bad as the Digitech one? You can't even turn it past 9 o'clock without getting hum!

yeah, the boss gets noisy at about 9 o'clock. i don't find the sustain very good, it doesnt make a lot of difference. however the attack function gives a nice snappy country feel.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix