I really need a noise gate, So how dose the boss NS-2 work?

I can put it at the end of my signal and in the fx loop?

I prefer the decimator, but the ns2 is cheaper, especially if you need to run it in the loop and out front at the same time.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh sweet. Whats the difference between mute and reduction?
Quote by rwtf

When it's on mute, no sound can get through at all. When it's on reduction, it works like a noise gate. The threshhold determines how much sound you block.

EDIT: I'll agree with the guy above, the Decimator is better, but that's like a $250 pedal. I got my NS-2 used for $50. So you have to ask yourself, assuming you buy new, is the Decimator worth $250 extra? If you're on a budget, then no.

I like the NS-2 a lot. It took me a little while to get it to work right, but now it's absolutely essential to my rig. I use a lot of gain, and I wouldn't even want to play if I didn't have it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 15, 2010,
The Decimator is about $130, not $250 ^.
The G-srting is about $250.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
The Decimator is about $130, not $250 ^.
The G-srting is about $250.

It was an unspoken given that we were talking about the G String. He wants to run through the FX loop, which he would need the G String for. The regular Decimator just has one in and one out.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by rwtf

When its on Mute, its either working as a gate or muted completely. On Reduction its either gating or off.
if you're on a real tight budget, just use the NS-2. ive used one for years with the "X-pattern" posted above. ive tried the decimator, and its a great pedal, but not worth the $150 when i got my ns-2 for $35. the price per performance ration is all out of whack.

sure, if you find a decimator dirt cheap used and have a flexible budget, pick one of them up.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Hey just a question: What does the X wiring do that a normal set up doesnt? Just sorta curious
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09
Hey just a question: What does the X wiring do that a normal set up doesnt? Just sorta curious

Normally, the gate will only cut the signal going to the amp. If you use the X pattern, the input determines whether signal will pass through to the input of the amp, and whether it will pass through the effects loop too, so it reduces preamp noise because the signal from the preamp will only get to the poweramp when the guitars signal goes into the NS-2.