Should I replace my guitar's nut? I think my guitar's nut is messed up because before I got a tuner Ive tuned my guitar with the tuners built into a spider amps and it's not the best tuner around which made me tune the low E into A every time. Now I suspect the over tightening of the string has put too much pressure on the nut causing it to make the action of low E to be too low causing fret buzz.

P.S. sorry if im in the wrong section
That doesnt sound good. you should buy an electric tuner. you can get a cheap one for around 15 dollars. But conserning ur nut, idk if u should get a new one right away, test it out for a few days. if it doesnt get better i would consider it.
Just raise your action on the low E a touch. You don't need to replace the nut.

Also... how the hell did you manage that? from E to A is 5 friggin' half steps.
oh my, OP.

Did you tune your A to D?

D to G?

O_O
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Quote by DakoRob
oh my, OP.

Did you tune your A to D?

D to G?

O_O

what about G to B or B to E?? this could be a serious problem!!!
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
the not so good tuner works like this it tunes your guitar to standard tuning only so if you turn your High E low enough it will tune it to B while my Low E was turn way up so it picked it up as A. The other strings are okay
k, lol. was jw bro. I'd adjust action before the nut btw.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
If you have access to spark gap spring gauges (feeler gauges) you can easily check your nut. You stack up the gauge leafs till you get the size you're looking for. You measure from the top of the first fret to the bottom of the string. On a low E it can be anywhere from 0.015" on the lower side to 0.030" on the high side. If it's between these two measurements it should be fine.

EDIT: BTW changing a nut is not for an amateur, it takes a fair amount of tools and practise to do a good job. A bad nut can turn a perfectly good guitar into an unplayable POS. I spent well over $200 on my tools from Stew Mac and that was after saving money on the vise and feeler gauges which can be had cheaper elsewhere.
Here's a pic of the nut I made (after burning thru 2 others learning) it's done in Micarta a soft artificial bone like substitute.
Attachments:
Sample.GIF
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 16, 2010,