A few weeks ago I bought a Vox Night Train Head for $400CAD at a local shop. I also really liked the Egnater Tweaker they had there. I opted for the Vox because this shop (for some reason) was selling their Tweaker (head only) for almost $600. I LOVE the tone from my Vox, but there's something about the Tweaker that really stood out to me. I love how versatile it is.
So I started checking out prices, and the shop I visited was WAY overpriced on the Tweaker. Other shops in my area (there are very few that sell Egnater) sell them for as low as $429. I just posted my Vox on Kijiji for fun, and someone called me within an hour offering me $450 for it. So here is my dilemma...

Should I sell my Vox and pick up a Tweaker? What do you guys think? I'm going to a shop tomorrow morning to mess around with the Tweaker for a while, but I want your input as well.

Also, can someone who has tried both please give me their head-to-head opinion of these amps? (I know 311 is on this one...lol)
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
yes.

other people like the night train...i thought it was rubbish.

the tweaker is way better in my opinion. It gets as much gain if not more then the night train and doesn't have to shut down the eq to do it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Thanks, although I know you're very biased towards Egnaters

I'm leaning towards the Egnater at this point for a variety of reasons ("tweakability", FX loop...), but I'm most concerned with its tone. I love the Night Train's clean channel, but the EQ-bypass on thick mode sounds best to me with Gain at max, while lower gain tones are OK. The Tweaker is easily better at distortion, crunch, OD tones IMO. But will the Tweaker be able to compete with the Vox cleans?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
IMO the Vox doesn't have that great of cleans. I preferred the cleans on the Eggie, although it doesn't stay real clean for very long.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
IMO the Vox doesn't have that great of cleans. I preferred the cleans on the Eggie, although it doesn't stay real clean for very long.

Really? I like the NT cleans . I'll see which I prefer when I play the Tweaker tomorrow.

I don't think clean headroom will be an issue for me right now. I'll be using this primarily for recording and practicing in my apartment. The amp will be running through a 1x12 at fairly low volumes. If I need a little more oomph, I can always use my 4x12.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58

I know a lot of people like them but my favorite cleans I've ever heard came out of a '66 Band Master. The Night Trains aren't bad, just not voiced to my liking at all.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i was no fan of the night train.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
^
My uncle has a vintage Band Master . I'm not sure of the year, but I agree - great cleans!!!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Night Train is cool.......

but the Tweaker is better!

Do it. Get the head if you can and a 212 cab.

PS: you will also need a continual budget for new power tubes because the Tweaker takes all kinds of power tubes plug n play pretty much. Do you like a British voice better or an American voice better I forget?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Do it. Get the head if you can and a 212 cab.

I love the looks of the head, but the cabs seem a little pricey to me. I could get an Avatar loaded with 2 different speakers for the same price

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

PS: you will also need a continual budget for new power tubes because the Tweaker takes all kinds of power tubes plug n play pretty much. Do you like a British voice better or an American voice better I forget?

To be honest, it depends on the day I've always wanted Fender cleans with Marshall grit (see why I like the tweaker?!?!). I plan on getting some tubes because I've heard this thing gets even more versatile when you do some tube swapping. I'll have to read up on tubes and check the forums for some advice though.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
i'd do it. do it already.
Unless you really really like el84s...having the ability to run bigger tubes is always win.
I'd definatly rather have the Tweaker.

Because I'm a tweaker.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
So every single person in this thread has told me to get the Tweaker. I just tried out the combo. Unfortunately, I couldn't crank it up all the way, and I got bit by a rat on the index finger of my fretting hand (long story hahaha) so it wasn't the ideal situation to try out the amp. Nonetheless, this amp is killer and since every single store I've called is backordered on the head, I am driving 2 hours this weekend to go pick it up.

Thanks for the help guys. I really wish I could have both the Night Train and the Tweaker. There are some tones from the NT that I couldn't dial in on the Tweaker, but for my bedroom use I think the Tweaker is the obvious choice.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
^^
The AC15 is tempting, but I'd like to end up with an AC30 at some point. It's on my list with a Marshall Plexi and a vintage Fender Twin Reverb. The store I was just in had a '68 Twin for $2000.

I think the Tweaker will be plenty of fun for me right now
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
^^
The AC15 is tempting, but I'd like to end up with an AC30 at some point. It's on my list with a Marshall Plexi and a vintage Fender Twin Reverb. The store I was just in had a '68 Twin for $2000.

I think the Tweaker will be plenty of fun for me right now

ya i'm just saying do the tweaker then grab the ac30 later if you really want el84s. the nt is really a pale substitute. Not saying it's bad. It's a decent amp but now the market is a lot stronger then when it was only night train tiny terror.
2000 for a silverface! they be rippin off, those go for like 1400.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
forget the AC

get teh Tweaker.

yes, you can easily swap tubes for those moments when you need a (Fender/Marshall/other) tone. yes you can order an Avatar 212 with whatever speakers you want. I have a G12H30 and a Classic Lead 80 and it sounded damn good to me. My cab is 55 watts total.
Quote by Skagasm
2000 for a silverface! they be rippin off, those go for like 1400.

It's from 1968. I'd pay $2000 for it.

Finally got home after 5 and a half hours of driving...

With my brand new Egnater
I've gotta say, you guys were 100% right on this one. It blows the Night Train out of the water. And I got it new for less than my NT was used

I'll post pics tonight, and sound clips as soon as I pick up an SM57
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
ya hi five!

Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by AcousticMirror

always did think the nt was rubbish. glad there's some competition now.

I have to say, I really did love the NT's cleans. Really sparkly, jangly, whatever you want to call them. And while the Tweaker does an incredible job of the Fender and Marshall tones, I feel that it's Vox tone is lacking a bit. A little bit of EQ tweaking has got me really close though.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
I have to say, I really did love the NT's cleans. Really sparkly, jangly, whatever you want to call them. And while the Tweaker does an incredible job of the Fender and Marshall tones, I feel that it's Vox tone is lacking a bit. A little bit of EQ tweaking has got me really close though.

It's a price to performance thing for me. Out of the options that were out at the time, the cleans on the nt were great. However, especially now that korg decided to fix ac15 it's a bit of a ugly stepchild.
Quote by AcousticMirror
It's a price to performance thing

Absolutely. And it just so happens:

Best Price: Tweaker
Most Versatile: Tweaker
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
It's from 1968. I'd pay $2000 for it.

Finally got home after 5 and a half hours of driving...

With my brand new Egnater
I've gotta say, you guys were 100% right on this one. It blows the Night Train out of the water. And I got it new for less than my NT was used

I'll post pics tonight, and sound clips as soon as I pick up an SM57

yeah i know i used to own a 67 super reverb that i got for 1500. so 2000 for a silverface is a rip off.
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Quote by Skagasm
yeah i know i used to own a 67 super reverb that i got for 1500. so 2000 for a silverface is a rip off.

a 68 silverface is a blackface with silverface cosmetics
^
This. And a Super Reverb =/= a Twin Reverb.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
still a blackface with blackface cosmetics is more expensive. i dont understand what there is to argue about go on ebay and most of the silvers will be pretty cheap. and the blackface are going down alot too. and if all you want is clean that yeah go twin but a super can give you clean and dirty. i dont understand why your arguing. have you ever even owned vintage amps or looked seriously into buying one?
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
still a blackface with blackface cosmetics is more expensive. i dont understand what there is to argue about go on ebay and most of the silvers will be pretty cheap. and the blackface are going down alot too. and if all you want is clean that yeah go twin but a super can give you clean and dirty. i dont understand why your arguing. have you ever even owned vintage amps or looked seriously into buying one?

dude come on it's not worth it.

a 68 silverface is a blackface amp. for 2k at least the circuit should be similar. Blackface-able will be less then that.

But I could see a mint condition 68 super with original speakers and original parts reaching 2k. So ya.

Really off topic now anyway.

hey HOW about that TWEAKER.
Quote by Skagasm
and if all you want is clean that yeah go twin but a super can give you clean and dirty. i dont understand why your arguing. have you ever even owned vintage amps or looked seriously into buying one?

I love the cleans out of a Twin Reverb, and it would be worth $2000 to ME. I've played many over the years, both vintage and modern. IMHO, Fender dirty channels are garbage.

And I did own a vintage Fender amp for a while; earlier in this thread I talked about my uncle's vintage Fender Reverb amp (it was a silverface ). He gave that to me when he quit guitar for a couple years, but then wanted it back when he picked up his guitar again.

Back to the point of this thread...

Tweakers Rule. Posting pics later today, debating picking up a mic today as well. You will hear all about my NADs in a little while
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58