So here's my story. I have been buying and selling guitars, looking for that one guitar that really is worth my money. Here is a list of the guitars I have went through since 2008.

Ibanez S520 EX
Dean Razorback 7 string
Schecter Omen 7 string
Agile Hornet 7 string - can't sell, still own
ESP ltd SC-608b 8 string - still happily owned
Ibanez S7320 - currently in the process of returning

So the only guitar I am currently happy with owning is the 8 string ESP. The Agile I am stuck with because no one wants to buy a guitar from a brand they havent heard of.

The Ibanez will be gone tomorrow. That gives me 600 dollars to spend on another guitar. I am also thinking about selling some old amps and a laptop which will give me some more money as well.

So lets say I have 800 dollars to spend on a guitar. I want it to be quality, something that can take some of a beating but still have great tone and versatility. Notice the last few guitars I bought were 7 strings. I am into metal. Now I don't need another guitar that is a 7 string...or even made for metal.

I was thinking about getting a used (or new) american tele with my money and swapping one of the pickups for something more metal appropriate. something along the lines of that would be good for me. (sub-question - good single coil sized pickups?)

Oh, but let me stress, I am anti-Gibson. don't ask why, I have my reasons, but dont suggest me a gibson or epiphone anything.

just tell me what you think about the whole situation.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
if you want one to last you for years...i'd save up more.
are you gonna be happy with an 800 dollar guitar? if not then save up more.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Tele's alright, I personally prefer Strats over Teles but that's just because I like the way they feel.
Quote by AcousticMirror

well the thing is im trying to find one i will be happy with.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Teles are the best. cant go wrong.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
tele it is

now all i have to do is find a good one in my price range
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
michael kelly patriots are nice, and you could look for a used PRS for more of a $900-$1000 Price range
Dempseys68's Chord
e|0
B|5
G|0
D|5
A|0
E|5 Only Gingers and Dempsey can use!
Oh Gingonia Oh Gingonia, We pledge our orangeness to thee. We are so Frickin' white like candles in the night
Oh Gingonia Oh Gingonia We pledge our SPF Ging to thee
Quote by rtfk101
tele it is

now all i have to do is find a good one in my price range

The Standard

You're not going to make it sound very metal. You could put a hot rails in the bridge, but it'll be pretty damn bright and twangy.

Unless AM has some BKP or Anderson suggestions that are ultimately better, and he probably does. Don't listen to me.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Jul 15, 2010,
I'd go for a Gibson LP. If you're against this then go after a Fender American Strat.
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
Used PRS
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by Rcasa630
I'd go for a Gibson LP. If you're against this then go after a Fender American Strat.

Way to read genius
How bout the Jim Root tele? I didnt look at the price, and its most likey over $800, but maybe check it out?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-Series-72-Telecaster-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=511141

A telecaster, in your price range, with dual-humbuckers so you can get your br00tlz tone. I haven't tried this particular Tele, but I've heard great reviews, and it will last a long time. Either that or a used MIA HSS strat.

Quote by AcousticMirror

Since when do $800 guitars not last most people for years? You make it sound like he's investing in a plank of wood with 6 strings (aka First Act). Not everyone can realistically afford $1500-$2000 guitars.

EDIT: I think the 72 Tele is an MIM, but the upper-class MIMs are studs and workhorses. I often get looks of disbelief/surprise when I tell people that my Tele is MIM.
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Last edited by kreddy2 at Jul 16, 2010,