If you are getting sound from a pickup does that mean it's setup correctly?
I know it's sort of a weird question but i have this guitar which i received in a trade (fernandes ravelle deluxe) and i opened up the back cover to see how the wiring was done and it seemed terrible compared to the wiring in my epi les paul, which seems all nice and elegant or whatnot. Im just wondering if this is a ''if it's not broken don't fix it'' type thing or if this can possibly effect sound and maybe if i somehow redid the wiring or something i would possibly benefit. The only thing i've done so far is wind some electrical tape around the wires that were soldered together.
Well mostly I'd just plug it in and try it.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Reisgar42
Well mostly I'd just plug it in and try it.

I have done that and the pickups do work.
I was just wondering if thats the only way these things are examined or if perhaps it's possible that a pickup is installed 50% correctly and you'd get 50% of the pickup working, or some other scenario where it's possible to not get the full capacity of the pickup working. I apologize in advance if that sounds really stupid, im a big newb at this.
Last edited by cal1fub3ralle5 at Jul 15, 2010,
Unless they're humbuckers with five-conductor wiring pickups are either wired correctly or not; there's not really a half-way. Now, this doesn't mean replacing cheap electronics, shielding cavities, and using good wire with good solder joints won't improve your sound. It's really just up to your discretion. But yes, if it ain't broke don't fix it unless you suspect the parts in general are low quality.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Is 5 conductor wiring a 5 way switch, like on a strat?
If that's the case then i guess i am all set as the guitar does not have this.
I don't think the parts are too low quality as the guitar isn't really cheap so i think it should have decent parts. Unless the previous owner replaced everything with cheaper parts.
It is possible to tell from a picture if the parts/wiring is decent?
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg85/eaglesfan8968344/DSC00152.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg85/eaglesfan8968344/DSC00153.jpg
Thats before i put electrical tape around the wires that were soldered together.
I can take better quality pics if those aren't adequate.
There is a useful book on pickups called

'The Guitar Pickup Handbook'

I got a copy out of our library. It comes with a CD that has 36 pickup tracks. i copied the CD and find it real useful for comparing the pickups in my guitars (all 26 guitars) with their potential, alternatives, etc. It helps to know if a pickup is a bit 'muddy'...too 'bright'. etc.

Otherwise, it can be difficult to judge a pickup without a comparison. We start to read too much into what we 'think' we hear.
Last edited by Raptorfingers at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by Raptorfingers
there is a good book on pickups called

'The Guitar Pickup Handbook'

I got a copy out of our library. It comes with a CD that has 36 pickup tracks. i copied the CD and find it real useful for comparing the pickups in my guitars (all 26 guitars) with their potential, alternatives, etc. It helps to know if a pickup is a bit 'muddy'...to 'bright'. etc.

I looked up that book on amazon and it looks interesting. I'll check it out, thanks.
Oops I meant four-conductor. Idk how I typoed spelling the number out that badly, but I did Four-conductor wiring just externalizes the connections to the start and end each each coil on a humbucker.

For future reference try using the macro mode on your camera so it focuses better. Based on the capacitor, though, it seems the electronics are pretty decent quality. You're fine. Messy wiring=/=bad sound unlessthe solder joints are bad, but they look decent. It's just sloppy and a pain in the ass to work with. The one improvement you could make is by applying aluminum or copper shielding in the cavity, but that just reduces 60hz hum and RFI emissions; shielding provides no tonal improvement.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by cal1fub3ralle5
Is 5 conductor wiring a 5 way switch, like on a strat?
If that's the case then i guess i am all set as the guitar does not have this.
I don't think the parts are too low quality as the guitar isn't really cheap so i think it should have decent parts. Unless the previous owner replaced everything with cheaper parts.
It is possible to tell from a picture if the parts/wiring is decent?
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg85/eaglesfan8968344/DSC00152.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg85/eaglesfan8968344/DSC00153.jpg
Thats before i put electrical tape around the wires that were soldered together.
I can take better quality pics if those aren't adequate.

What the.....? It looks like the silver wire is soldered to the pot on the wire, like, they put a puddle of solder on the wire to attach it to the pot, without stripping the wire. Am I seeing things?
Quote by Mike-T93
Oops I meant four-conductor. Idk how I typoed spelling the number out that badly, but I did Four-conductor wiring just externalizes the connections to the start and end each each coil on a humbucker.

For future reference try using the macro mode on your camera so it focuses better. Based on the capacitor, though, it seems the electronics are pretty decent quality. You're fine. Messy wiring=/=bad sound unlessthe solder joints are bad, but they look decent. It's just sloppy and a pain in the ass to work with. The one improvement you could make is by applying aluminum or copper shielding in the cavity, but that just reduces 60hz hum and RFI emissions; shielding provides no tonal improvement.

Yeah those pics were taken with like a .5 megapixel camera
Seems like the guitar is in good shape though, thanks alot for your help.
Quote by ethan_hanus
What the.....? It looks like the silver wire is soldered to the pot on the wire, like, they put a puddle of solder on the wire to attach it to the pot, without stripping the wire. Am I seeing things?

I'm not sure what you mean, i'll take some better pictures asap though.
Edit: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg85/eaglesfan8968344/guitar%20wiring/SDC10444.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg85/eaglesfan8968344/guitar%20wiring/SDC10445.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg85/eaglesfan8968344/guitar%20wiring/SDC10446.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg85/eaglesfan8968344/guitar%20wiring/SDC10447.jpg
Quote by cal1fub3ralle5

Nope, I'm not seeing things, that silver braided wire is soldered to the pot,

Maybe it's conductive braided wire, I have no idea, but maybe that's your problem, if your having one, cause I've never seen that used on anything before, not a single thing. Don't know what the previous guy was thinking.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Maybe it's conductive braided wire, I have no idea, but maybe that's your problem, if your having one, cause I've never seen that used on anything before, not a single thing. Don't know what the previous guy was thinking.

I see what you mean now. That wire is from one of the pickups. Their both seymour duncan 59 blues vintage pickups, if that matters.
I wasn't having any real problems i just thought it sounded kinda weak, especially since these pickups are supposed to be good or at least bettter than stock pickups in an epi les paul, which are the only pickups i can compare them to.
Pinch harmonics in particular sound rather weak, although i attributed that to the pickup having fallen in because of a bad spring.
Last edited by cal1fub3ralle5 at Jul 16, 2010,
The braid's supposed to be grounded.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Quote by ethan_hanus

Those are intentional. I believe on vintage-wired pickups (2 conductor?) the braided wire is always soldered to the back of a pot, as gound.

TS, if you think there's something wrong, you can always rewire the entire thing, and replace the components.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Baby Joel
Those are intentional. I believe on vintage-wired pickups (2 conductor?) the braided wire is always soldered to the back of a pot, as gound.

TS, if you think there's something wrong, you can always rewire the entire thing, and replace the components.

Yeah i know i could but i have no prior experience doing anything like this and i think i'd mess it up even more.