Alright, I gots me a problem!

Whenever I plug into my amp and play, the higher I get up the pitch spectrum, the more "decayed" the notes sound. They dont sound toneful, but thin, and they sound like they are breaking almost. What is wrong

Also, I have some annoying hum, how can I get rid of that?
Does it sound bad only when it's plugged in, or is it the guitar's fault (ie does it sound bad unplugged)?

Tried swapping the guitar/amp (if possible)?
Last edited by pete-c at Jul 15, 2010,
Sounds like your action is too low, which might cause your notes to die out earlier due to the greater contact of the string on the board, which deadens vibrations.

As for hum, what kind is it? Does it decrease when you touch a metal part on the guitar's body? If so, it means your guitar's not grounded properly, and you should fix that right away.

If it doesn't decrease when you do that, you could probably use a noise gate in your amp's effects loop.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by pete-c
Does it sound bad only when it's plugged in, or is it the guitar's fault (ie does it sound bad unplugged)?

Tried swapping the guitar/amp (if possible)?

I swapped the guitar, same thing

Quote by Raijouta
Sounds like your action is too low, which might cause your notes to die out earlier due to the greater contact of the string on the board, which deadens vibrations.

As for hum, what kind is it? Does it decrease when you touch a metal part on the guitar's body? If so, it means your guitar's not grounded properly, and you should fix that right away.

If it doesn't decrease when you do that, you could probably use a noise gate in your amp's effects loop.

I have a noise suppressor pedal, if that cuts it.

I will try touching the metal in the morning, too late right now
Your pickups could be too close to the strings too. This will put too much of pull on them and kill sustain. There is a happy middle path where the pickup pulls on it just enough so that when the string vibrates it pulls the string, then the string vibrates farther away and it looses its pull kinda, its almost like some sort of reanimation loop and then you realise why solid body guitars kick so much butt. That is where you wanna be.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."