i have a great Ibanez Gio bass guitar. I would like to upgrade though. Am I better off buying EMG pickups like these? http://www.samash.com/p/PJ%20Set%20Bass%20Guitar%20Pickups%20Pair_-49992481
I have the PJ setup BTW and I want black or charcoal hardware. my ibanez is a see through cherry red
or should I just buy a new bass guitar?

Heres the pics of the bass

http://s885.photobucket.com/albums/ac53/slipknotfan168/?action=view&current=bass.jpg

http://s885.photobucket.com/albums/ac53/slipknotfan168/?action=view&current=bass.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs885.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fac53%2Fslipknotfan168%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3Dbass2.jpg%26
Last edited by slipknotfan168 at Jul 15, 2010,
If you really like your Ibanez, it might be worth it to upgrade the pickups. Make sure the EMGs deliver the sound you want. A lot of people find them to be a bit lifeless - very sterile sounding. $160.00 is an expensive upgrade for a Gio. You might be better off looking at a higher quality bass. Given your Slipknot username, take a look at the Ibanez ATK series. You can usually find them at very good prices. The late Paul Gray swore by his.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I want to get the Ibanez PGB1 it looks sick and the emgs are active i believe i saw a couple of reviews on youtube the sound pretty good for me. lol the pick ups would be worth then more than half of the guitar if i do it XD
A PGB1 is a massive upgrade. I've been a SlipKnot fan since Iowa, and I would kill for a PGB1, but the ATK300 is the next best thing. It's pretty much exactly the same. And playing the ATK300 will help if you get a PGB1 in the future. Which I plan on doing.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Just buy a new bass.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
Coming from the dude who has 6 basses in his signature xD
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Go for a new bass... I know that with the recent death of Paul Grey it would be awesome to have that bass, but is it really worth it? 800$ (more or less) is a lot of money. The bass sure as hell would impress some people (you realise that you are limited to a very small amount of genres, and a PGB1 playing death metal or black metal isn't really proper). If I was rich I would get it no doubt, since the album Mate Feed Kill Repeat made me buy a bass instead of an expensive pedalboard for my guitar. But for the 800$ I'm sure there are better ones out there. Tip: don't go for over the top or weird "heavy metal" looking basses .
yeah lol i think i'd go for the atk300 and i have a great variety of genres lol some bands are tdg, korn cyprus hill, ect lol i just hate new rap... eminem is an exeption kus he sings from the heart but thanks guys im going to save up for the ATK300 lol
im just not too happy with the selection of colors too fenderish... the red and whit and black and white are nasty i like the trifade from the three... maybe i get black and put nice black pickguard or just take off the pik guard i dont like those things anyway
^ pick the bass based on sound and feel. Colors can grow on you, and if you really hate the color later down the road, you can always repaint it.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Okay, if you're going to complain about the color, look for a different bass. The ATK is a great bass and all of the colors look fine. It doesn't really matter what it looks like as long as it feels good in your hands. I'm so tired of people complaining about the color, if it really bothers you that much that they don't have good enough colors, find a different bass, or repaint it.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92