ok so i borrowed my friends '72 ovation and it fell and the wood split right where the headstock turns into the neck. i really need to fix it and i need to know how. please help.

pictures will be up in a couple hours.

i also have a guitar center nearby. should i go there?
unplugged ftw
Last edited by gtarhro123 at Jul 16, 2010,
The best way to fix it would be to return it to your friend, explain that you damaged it, and make it clear that you'll pay whatever the luthier of his choice charges him to repair the instrument.
--
Michael
honestly you shouldn't try to do it yourself if you have no experience - you could make it worse, and it's very likely it will be a visible fix at best, so your friend will know. if someone broke my guitar, i'd take it to a professional who has the right tools and knows what he's doing. if you fix it yourself, the fix may be weaker, which can lead to it breaking again. fixing it poorly can also make the guitar sound a little different - probably worse.

i hope you man up and tell your friend you're very sorry but you broke his guitar. let HIM (or her) decide how to deal with the break.
well its not really my friend. its my older sisters friend. and it didnt go all the way through. it just started splitting in the back. i think im gonna take it to guitar center tomorrow morning just to see what they could do with it.
unplugged ftw
don't do that unless your local guitar center has a qualified luthier on staff, which they usually don't.

Quote by gtarhro123
well its not really my friend. its my older sisters friend. and it didnt go all the way through. it just started splitting in the back. i think im gonna take it to guitar center tomorrow morning just to see what they could do with it.
Look, whether it's your friend, your older sister's friend, or your next door neighbor's college roommate's cousin's friend, really isn't the point. Nor is the fact that the wood only split a little.

You borrowed a musical instrument. You let it suffer damage.

If you take it upon yourself, without the owner's permission, to have it repaired at Guitar Center or anywhere else, you're simply making things worse. Not better. Because it's for the guitar's owner to decide how, if, and by whom he wants the repair work to be accomplished.

So don't take it to Guitar Center, not even to find out what they could do with it. It's neither necessary, nor appropriate, to do so.

Rather, return the guitar to its owner, admit that you're responsible for the damage, offer to pay for the repairs, and let the owner handle it from there. That's the right way to handle this situation. It's presumably what you'd want done, if you owned a guitar, let someone borrow it, and that someone permitted your guitar to come to harm.
--
Michael
oh i know, im gonna take full responsibility for it. i was really just wondering if this was an easy fix or what. thanks for the fast helpful responses though.
unplugged ftw
I had this happen to me when I was borrowing my friend's Fender acoustic. It fell off the stand and I didn't have enough time to catch it. Cost $130 after tax to fix the crack similar to what you mentioned.