Hey UG'ers,

Recently, for some unknown reason, I've come to really love those Epiphone Thunderbirds.

Wait.

Let me re-word that.

I've come to really love the SHAPE of those Epiphone Thunderbirds, and was wondering if any other brand made them in that same kind of shape. I don't want a metal looking one though, because I'm not into metal, but just a neutral kind-of-looking one. I've learnt there is a mutual hate on them Thunderbirds, so is there any bass out there, 4-string, cheap as possible, decent, in the same shape?

Thanks in advance.
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
I can't think of anything cheap unfortunately. There is the Mike Lull T-Bass, but they're more of boutique basses, and will run you more then a Gibson T-bird. If you love the Thunderbird shape it may be something worth saving for in the future.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I think ESP makes Thunderbirds, and there's Spector, but those arent cheap.
ESP

Spector
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Hmm .. I'll have a look around eh?

Thanks anyway.

Wait, second thought.

Any of those Epiphone Thunderbirds not crap?

The Epiphone Thunderbird Pro series are in many ways better than the Gibson counterpart and they go for 330~ euros here, whatever that is in dollars :P
Quote by shmbluh12
The Epiphone Thunderbird Pro series are in many ways better than the Gibson counterpart and they go for 330~ euros here, whatever that is in dollars :P

Apart from the shoddy construction...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I feel ya on wanting a SHAPE, but not the price... a Gibson RD, in my case.

Good news: YES, there are other Tbird shapes!

Bad news: All are hella expensive!

My advice... save up for a real Gibson Tbird... it's worth it. The Epi Tbird Pro has potential to be nice, but the QC of those is abysmal.

In any case... here's some Tbird pr0n for ya:

Charvel Japan:

Jackson TBX (VERY Rare):

Alembic:

BaCH:

BC Rich:

Tokai:

ESP:

Greco (one of the more populat Tbird clones):

Hamer:

Tokai:

Google immage search is failing me... but there are a slew of others, including: Ibanez, Lakland, Sessions, Fernandez, JB, Hotwire, and Brice.

Aside from an Epi... the Japanese stuff is the most inexpensive... but with shipping it still is a better bet to just get a Gibson...

Good luck on your search!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at Jul 16, 2010,
I've tried one of those ESP ones....all i can say is OMG awesome but the price tag is hefty but if i had the cash to just buy it, i bloody would xD.

And ot: the only choices you have aare the Epi's or the tokai's really.Altho you can sometimes find a nice playing well built epi :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Razgriz_101
I've tried one of those ESP ones....all i can say is OMG awesome but the price tag is hefty but if i had the cash to just buy it, i bloody would xD.

And ot: the only choices you have aare the Epi's or the tokai's really.Altho you can sometimes find a nice playing well built epi :P

Stupid ESP Japan making awesome basses that are too expensive to import!!

I've wanted this RD Artist clone for ever now:

But at the price they're asking i'm better of buying a real Gibson RD Artist... or a First Act Custom DelGada...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
The necks on the ESP Phoenix are amazing. They're a little on the heavy side but they sound...AH! xD Through a transparent amp.

I wish I had the money for one.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Din of Win
Stupid ESP Japan making awesome basses that are too expensive to import!!

I've wanted this RD Artist clone for ever now:

But at the price they're asking i'm better of buying a real Gibson RD Artist... or a First Act Custom DelGada...

Dir en Grey! so awesome live seen em on the kerrang tour cant believe i was over the moon when i heard BMTH canceled looking back that was rather immature xD.

heres some First act GAS material purely cause its Jaye from the Cancer bats (if i meet them im so tempted to ask jaye if i can get a photo of me with his bass lol).

(Invalid img)
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Moar First Act Delgada GAS:

Brian Cook in Russian Circles:

The First Act Delgada's are AMAZING! The playability and the look just make them so amazing. I can't find them anywhere though =[
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Zomg ..

Just had a look at some of the basses mentioned above.

HOLY BANANAS!

Why the heck are they so expensive ..? I don't understand. Any explanations?

Most of them are super top end basses. The ESP, the First Act, all top end. I mean...you can look for used ones, that's what I'm doing right now.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Gibson Thunderbird?

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom