Construction: Neck Through
Scale length: 27"
Frets: 24 Jumbo, Stainless Steel
Neck: Hard Maple with Walnut Strips
Neck Width: 1 11/16 at Nut, 2 1/4 at 24th fret
Body: Cocobolo with Alder Sandwiched Between
Fingerboard: Cocobolo/Rosewood
Radius: 14"
Inlays: White dots on normal notes, Black dots on flat notes (same size as side markers)
Hardware: Chrome
Tuning Machines: Schaller M6-IND locking
Bridge: Schaller Hannes
Pickups: HH - BKP Nailbomb calibrated set

2 Volume
2 Tone
3 Way Toggle
1 on-on-on mini switch (Coil Tap)

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out. I wont be able to start really getting going on it until later this month but I just ordered the parts so it's a sure thing.

I'm thinking I want a superstrat styled guitar for functionality as well as not playing a pointy guitar at weddings or something. Plus I don't think exotic woods suit anything but a (relatively) conservatively shaped guitar.

Here's a top view (rough)

And here's a totally un-contoured bottom view
Last edited by Knurlheim at Jul 16, 2010,
How are you going to do the cocobolo w/ alder body? Are you thinking of gluing a piece of alder between two pieces of cocobolo? If so, you should use a solid cocobolo body IMO. You'll get better results from a one-piece body than a three-piece.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Cocobolo is WAY too hard (on the wallet ) to find in pieces that thick, and I'm being considerate to my shoulder by not making it solid.
Quote by JagerSlushy
How are you going to do the cocobolo w/ alder body? Are you thinking of gluing a piece of alder between two pieces of cocobolo? If so, you should use a solid cocobolo body IMO. You'll get better results from a one-piece body than a three-piece.

Cocobolo is also extremely expensive, so factor that in as well.
Quote by Knurlheim
Cocobolo is WAY too hard (on the wallet ) to find in pieces that thick, and I'm being considerate to my shoulder by not making it solid.

Haha yeah, didn't think about that!

But if you do use it, please to God leave it unfinished. Cocobolo looks awesome! But I don't think it'd finish well anyways, being so oily
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I've seen lots of really nice lacquered finishes on cocobolo, and of course I wont put anything other than clearcoat.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Well, plenty of super-duper expensive high-end tone-fortress basses and guitars for demigods (Carl Thompson, Alembic, Conklin, Wal, etc.) have several pieces of this and that sandwiched between each other. Based on this, I'd say he's fine with three pieces.

Edit: It's no more a "tone-detracting three-piece" than a maple-topped guitar is a crummy two-piece. This'll just have both a top cap and a bottom cap. In fact,the Les Paul Supreme had maple on both sides and it was highly sought after.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by Knurlheim
Inlays: White dots on normal notes, Black dots on flat notes (same size as side markers)

How are you going to do this? Is there gonna be 6 dots per fret? or you going by the E strings or what?
no sir away a papaya war is on
Change of plans!

So I went and bought the majority of my wood yesterday. There was absolutely no quarter sawn maple at all. But instead, there was a great slab of walnut close by, so now the majority of the neck will be walnut, with maple strips instead. I will add maple to either side (about 3/8") to contrast between cocobolo and walnut. Pictures tomorrow!
Quote by Knurlheim
6 dots per fret, but they are tiny.

this will either be amazingly awesome or completely retarded. I hope its the first.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I rethought it and I think it's a pretty bad idea. Maybe on my next builds i could make mother of pearl natural and abalone for sharps and flats? Anyways, I'm making the position markers pain old dots now.
This build sounds amazing, the woods are gorgeous and I love extended scale guitars. You must have beasty hands my friend! I personally find 27" a bit too large for me.

Stickied.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Make it into an arch Top the put a binding around the edge this will cover up the seem from cocobolo to alder

And if you are using maple on the neck just use it onthe body too it only makes sense.
Quote by N_J_B_B
This build sounds amazing, the woods are gorgeous and I love extended scale guitars. You must have beasty hands my friend! I personally find 27" a bit too large for me.

Stickied.

Thanks Man! Unfortunately I have a big sports competition very soon, so updates might not be for a while. Should be hitting the internet about a couple weeks from now. And yeah, my hands have trouble getting around smaller guitars near the nut.
Quote by lil PopTart kid
Make it into an arch Top the put a binding around the edge this will cover up the seem from cocobolo to alder

And if you are using maple on the neck just use it onthe body too it only makes sense.

Nah.

EDIT!: Wanna see my wood?

Wood! Maple is still to come

Kingwood fretboard, because it looked sweet at the store.
It's about 33" by 2 5/8" by 1"

Cocobolo! It will look a whole lot better when it is smooth and has no streaks on it.
Board is 55" by 5" by 1"

Alder, the filler!
24" by 6" by 2"

Walnut, the left side of the slab was practically the only quarter sawn-ish piece of wood in the store.
Board is 5' by 6" by 2"
Last edited by Knurlheim at Jul 19, 2010,
Parts are in!

You have 10 seconds to guess where I got the parts from.

Pots (500k) and Knobs Chrome with MOP caps.

Schaller Hannes bridge.

Jack socket, 3 way switch, and 2 way switch.

BKP Nailbomb Pickups w/ free pick and Roto's

Pearl Tuning knobs for the tuners my dad has hidden on me.

Strap buttons and cottony thingies.

Graph Tech nut blank

Truss rod, 2 graphite stiffening rods and 8' worth of stainless steel fretwire (cardboard roll)

Sheilding tape, so coil tap doesn't sound crappy.
Chrome pickup rings

There it is! Things are really busy around here at the moment, but hopefully we can get going on the wood soon.
Quote by Knurlheim
Parts are in!

You have 10 seconds to guess where I got the parts from.

Yeah man, StewMac rules... What do I win?
Quote by Pikka Bird
Yeah man, StewMac rules... What do I win?

It took me a while to catch you were joking.
Really sorry for the no picture bump but I just thought i should give SOME progress. I cut out the pieces for the neck, but when I removed them from the majority of the wood, I noticed a slight bend in them. After I sand them down to the correct size, I'll try using an iron and some water to correct until they are perfect. Things are going pretty slow right now but should speed up when the school year starts.
I can't even imagine how far back this thread fell.
Anyway, only very minor progress has been made. The neck laminates are just about ready to be glued.

Also, expect slow moving for a long time.
Last edited by Knurlheim at Mar 29, 2011,
Finally some pictures mah friends!

The cocobolo is only sanded to 50 grit so hold your horses in saying it doesn't look that good.
Holy crap that's nice. I've always wanted to use cocobolo on a guitar build.
So all that has happened is the truss rod and reinforcing rods were routed for.

inb4 slowest build ever.

ahhh sexy wood overload.. This is looking great, can't wait to see more.
I just used the rods from allparts with the more flexible side up so the truss rod will not fight endlessly with the rods. I only put them in to prevent sideways warping, as I am not particularly worried about the strength of the neck wood itself.
I've always wanted to see a build on here that used a Schaller Hannes bridge. Those things are supposed to be incredible, but I never liked the idea of the 3 anchor screws going through the back of the body - too much of a risk for me! Also, IMO you don't need reinforcing rods with a 5-piece neck but to each his own!

Page 1 of 2