So I wrote 20 songs this summer on my acoustic and the piano. II was wondering what pro's and amateurs alike do when it comes to recording songs. I realize that many of the bands we listen to write a bunch of songs that don't make it onto the album. This summer was the first time that I sat down, and actually tried my hand at songwriting. Since this was my first time at songwriting, I realize that even though I like all the songs I've written, a lot of them are probably crappy. How should I go about the process, and what would you say I recommend to record? The ten best, five best, or all of them?
I would record them all but choose the ones you like to play most to record first and spend the most itme recording them for the highest quality. as with the rest i would still keep a recorded copy but maybe keep it as a demo and not spend so long on optimising its quality
record all of them, good practice. Have people listen to them and give you feedback on which ones are good or not. If I like a riff I write or something, I usually record as soon as I write it and then add to it after the fact.
If you're recording them yourself I would do them all, as others said, for the experience.
But if you have 20 songs, and from that pool can't tell which ones have more potential for attracting an audience I think you've got bigger problems to worry about, assuming that's you're objective. It should be obvious which ones are more catchy.
Quote by Icarus Lives
Are you recording them yourself, or paying for studio time?

I just play my songs for friends and ask them which ones they prefer. AAfter a while you'll get an idea of which are the most popular.

Yea I plan or recoding them myself or my dads laptop, and then hopefully mixing the various parts on some mixing software.
Pick whichever 7-10 you like the most, dont put out anything you think you can do better than
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Record them all. Just because you don't use something in your album doesn't mean you can't release it as an EP, B-Side, Rarity, Ect.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
record all of them. and i would start with ones you like, but not your favorites. you want to get a good feel for recording and what works for you before you get to the songs you like most, so that way they end up sounding better than if you dove into them. but at the same time, i sometimes find it a struggle to record songs i dont particularly like. i end up not doing a good job and not pushing myself, so its almost a waste.

so yeah, record them all, but get a few under your belt before you pick your favorites to record.
I don't record everything I write. Hell, I don't even finish everything I write. If they suck and I know it, I kill them off before anyone else hears them and associates them with my writing skills.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I don't record everything I write. Hell, I don't even finish everything I write. If they suck and I know it, I kill them off before anyone else hears them and associates them with my writing skills.

CT

I do the saaame thing.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
If you'll only be recording simple guitar/vox or piano/vox versions then I say record them all. Then you can pick the ones that sound best and re-record them with a more elaborate arrangement if need be.

Personally I usually limit myself to recording 3 songs per project these days. It helps keep the time spent relatively short and you can actually keep concentration for the full project. Plus you get the added bonus that the songs get a more cohesive sound (as a group of tunes).
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
I would record them all, what do ya have to loose?
you're not paying for studio time if you have a setup of your own at home and can distribute the final products on the Internet and see what people think of them.
Quote by moody07747
I would record them all, what do ya have to loose?

time

pride

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.