looking to get either a Jackson Dinky DKMGT ($899) or ESP LTD MH 1000 NT ($699)

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ESP-MH1000NT-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMGT-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-With-EMGs?sku=520314&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=335220975

Jackson- 81 / 85 emgs
LTD - Seymour Duncan JB / 59

I have the Line 6 HD150 watt amp head/cab.

Play mostly heavy progressive metal. (born of osiris, within the ruins)

I have a Fender Stratocaster and an Ibanez RG 3exfm1.
Therefor versatility is not a concern. I want the sickest metal sound I can get.

Thanks
these guitars sound and play wildly different from eachother. PLEASE go try both out for yourself and dont base your purchase from online answers. base it off what you think.

that being said, i like the ltd better. the jackson's neck is way too thin for me, i dont want the bolt on (not that i dont like it, just dont want it on a guitar made for metal, i like the set thru the ltd has) and i prefer the JB/59 to the 81/85. BUT! when i bought my guitar (ec-1000) i went with it because i LOVED the emg 60 to death. to me, it sounded amazing, and was exactly what i was looking for (i use the 60 in the neck more than the 81 in the bridge, which totally isn't what i expected when i was buying it).

anyway, take a look at both and others in the price range. hope that helps!

ps, you're going to get bashed for your amp and be told to replace it. personally, i dont think you need to but your guitar wont make that much of a difference on a digital amp's sound. the difference comes through with a tube amp since the hi gain pickups push the tubes harder. just a little piece of info you might like!
^He'd get bashed for a Spider 3. Not for an HD150.
And if anyone bashes him for his HD150, they're just ignorant as ignorant can be.

EDIT: Just realised I had no idea wtf I was saying.

TS, I'd recommend trying the guitars out in comparison, preferably with an amp the same as/similar to the one you use now. EMG actives, for me, tend to rely a lot on the amp; on some they're godly, on others they're awful.
superman is killing himself tonight
Last edited by Baby Joel at Jul 16, 2010,
Yea i feel like emgs sound the same in whatever you put them in. and i know about the line 6 hating, ive heard all too much already lolol. for me tho i like the sound i get outta it so im not lookin to get a new amp. it just sucks though, no guitar stores in my area have these guitars.. ive been everywhere over the last two monthes looking. i played my friends dkmg and recorded a song i wrote on it and i remember liking it. i havent played the mh 1000 yet. i hear that i can still get a pretty sick metal sound outta the seymours.
a tonne of metal bands will use the duncans. i might prefer their sound overall actually, but like i said, i got my guitar because of the overall package (and the sound of that emg 60).

anyway, where are you located? we may be able to track down a store that has these
Yea the ec 1000 is a great guitar. the smaller scale is my favorite thing about it. so easy to play shred metal on it imo.. but i live in NJ. guitar center and local shops dont have any of these. even went to samash and they didnt have them either.
for the sickest metal sound the EMG's will probably be the best.

my vote will be for the LTD because i like it's pickups better. but i do not play super über Br00t4lz m3t4lz style so dont bash me for that xD
With that amp, you want passive pickups. However I do agree that, at least in my experience, the LTD Deluxes are built better than the Jacksons of the same price range (hence why I bought mine).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
yeah the esp will probably be right then. if you think about it that jackson is only $679 for the black one... ive even seen the trans black for $579 with the floyd rose at a local shop..so im basically paying $300 more dollars for the green color. sound is more important than color imo.. that blue on the ltd is really eye catchy tho
the blue on the ltd is even nicer in person. its a gorgeous guitar, and plays like a dream. if you're buying blind, i would go away from the jackson. the necks are so thin and unique to them that they're incredibly hit or miss for peoples preference (i HATE them to death, but many like them). plus its already been said. actives on a digital guitar are not really something you should go for, but really, its your call.

my vote is still ltd.

that being said, are there any smaller shops around (maybe up to an hour or two away) that might carry these? check out the brand websites and look for dealers around your area!
The DKMGT is stupidly overpriced IMO,I'd get the LTD

yeah like user_name said,the jackson has a compound radius board,something which has to be done with much attention and carefulness..and at that price they arent..even for 1000$ I wouldnt a trust compound radius board

plus the LTD has a tonepros locking TOM bridge while the jackson has a JT390 which is no comparison to the tonepros

also the LTD has locking tuners while the jackson doesnt
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
The DKMGT is stupidly overpriced IMO,I'd get the LTD

yeah like user_name said,the jackson has a compound radius board,something which has to be with much attention and carefulness..and at that price they arent..even for 1000$ I wouldnt a compound radius board

plus the LTD has a tonepros locking TOM bridge while the jackson has a JT390 which is no comparison to the tonepros

also the LTD has locking tuners while the jackson doesnt

I agree, the Jackson isn't worth 200$ more. Get the LTD.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I think the classic EMG humbuckers run at 9v pair well with a very small number of amps - typically high gain, US-voiced, high power tube heads with a closed back cabinet.

While I don't have anything against the HD150, it's not one of those amps that likes EMGs. Therefore I would get the more conventional JB/59 pair and avoid the EMGs.

If you are going to use EMGs, I much prefer either the 'X' series version of the pickups, or to run the originals at 18v.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I have neck and bridge EMGs on a BC Rich Bich Metal Web....and Seymour Duncans on a Jackson Kelly K3....no comparison. The EMGs blow everything away.

I put a bridge EMG on a Dean ML X and same thing.

There's lots of varable going into sound and it starts with the strings and pickups. One can debate the quality of sound, etc., but for straight up and down power it's hard to top the EMGs.
Last edited by Raptorfingers at Jul 16, 2010,
yeah i have yet to see the LTD in person but other pictures and videos i have seen it looks pretty sick. everywhere i look people are saying that emgs + modeling amps just isnt good in the long run. i really wish the mh had the 24.75" neck rather than the 25.5".. the ec 1000 necks are MINT and soo easy to rip on.. just im not a HUGE fan of the body style of the ec.
With that amp, I'd definitely go with passives. I mean, unless you're Mr. Flibble and you have an HD147 with 300W of power, then you could totally go with actives.

But with only 150W and a very digital build, I'd go with passives to be safe.

You're gonna have a hard time finding a strat shaped guitar with a 24.75" scale. It's not that big of a difference anyway.

Also looks > playability. A guitar that feels good is better than a guitar that looks good. I use to not really like the EC's and some super-strats, but they grow on to you.
Quote by Even Bigger D
I think the classic EMG humbuckers run at 9v pair well with a very small number of amps - typically high gain, US-voiced, high power tube heads with a closed back cabinet.

While I don't have anything against the HD150, it's not one of those amps that likes EMGs. Therefore I would get the more conventional JB/59 pair and avoid the EMGs.

If you are going to use EMGs, I much prefer either the 'X' series version of the pickups, or to run the originals at 18v.

This.

While I love the EMGs in my LTD, when I dropped the D-Sonic in my Ibanez... I suddenly dont have much desire to play my LTD through my Vypyr 75 much anymore.

I used to be a pretty big champion of the "EMGs sound fine through SS amps" and while they do... a high output passive has a better sound to me.

Whenever I decide which tube amp Im going to get... that might change things, but until then, I love the passive DiMarzio through a SS amp.

That said, the X series sounds much better through SS amps than the standard EMGs, but thats my opinion, having played an 81X equipped guitar through my amp.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by Baby Joel
^He'd get bashed for a Spider 3. Not for an HD150.
And if anyone bashes him for his HD150, they're just ignorant as ignorant can be.

EDIT: Just realised I had no idea wtf I was saying.

You were thinking of the HD147, weren't you?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by xdukeofd
what about one of these

how do these jacksons compare to each other and the dinky and ltd?
i never played a soloist but hear good things about them.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-SLAT36-Soloist-Archtop-Electric-Guitar?sku=584381

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-SL3-Soloist-Electric-Guitar?sku=520334

the SLAT 3 is basically a SL3 with a H-H config and an arched top
look at corts aswell (not sure whether you can get them in america) or agile,

i have a jackson ke3 with seymour duncan pick ups (one of them is the jazz and the other is the jb i think :S) i run it through a laney valve and i can get more distortion from those pick ups than i can in my ibanez s420,

EMGs are very good, but no point unless you have a valve or tube amp
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Amp first, d00d.

HD150 is basically a 150w practice amp. In that range, a used Vetta head or a Mesa Mark III or MAYBE a Mark IV is a good replacement.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Amp first, d00d.

HD150 is basically a 150w practice amp. In that range, a used Vetta head or a Mesa Mark III or MAYBE a Mark IV is a good replacement.

nah..I disagree....sometimes you gotta buy want to buy...and he wanted a guitar not an amp..

BTW I lol'd so hard at your sig

Quote by archenemyfan
nah..I disagree....sometimes you gotta buy want to buy...and he wanted a guitar not an amp..

BTW I lol'd so hard at your sig

Admittedly you have a point, but I think he'll kick himself later down the road for not investing a little more in his amp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yea im not playin shows so my amp is fine and like i said i like it and like later on down the road i can always get a new head
Well, since it's your money, buy what you want. I'd get the LTD.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Alright man thanks for the honesty.. ltd seems like the way to go. You guys suggest any other guitars i may have missed?... Not a huge fan of shecter and i have an ibanez rg already
I'd say the MH. I own both an MH-1000 and a Jackson DKMG, and the MH is definetly my go to guitar, while the Jackson sits lonely in the corner and will probably be sold soon for another deposit in my car or gear fund.

It's just overall more comfortable to play, and can still crank metal really well, especially at high volumes through my rig (see sig).
Quote by oneblackened
Amp first, d00d.

Heh, people here in Miami sell anything with the Mesa name on it for MSRP+, used or not.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212