i've been playing a lot of different types of music lately. i'm tying to build up my repertoire of not only songs, but skills. so what i'm wandering is what kind of techniques or songs helped anyone else out.

you know, like getting barre chords down, classical tremolo for classical dabbling, or that fingerpicking pattern in dust in the wind or just breathe.

the kind of thing that helps in the long run of guitar playing.
Another thing is when you practice keep going until you get things right. If you practice until it is kind of right your guitar playing will be kind of right.
what i'm wandering is what kind of techniques or songs helped anyone else out.

The technique or song that is slightly too difficult to play right now.
practice songs you can play okay till you have them down perfectly. practice songs that are a little too hard by learning them VERY slowly - then speeding them up a little at a time. and you can find some exercises on youtube, justinguitar or the samples at homespun.
Quote by patticake
practice songs you can play okay till you have them down perfectly. practice songs that are a little too hard by learning them VERY slowly - then speeding them up a little at a time. and you can find some exercises on youtube, justinguitar or the samples at homespun.

+1
Yamaha FG295S
LR Baggs A1 pickup
A well constructed practice routine can do wonders to accelerate your skill level. Include warmup exersizes, stretching and all that, then move on to fret hand work, repeating the same sequence over and over until it's memorized, then move on to another area you are lacking in. Do this same routine daily for about an hour at a time. Work on the things you have issues with, adding in others as you go, and dropping those that you feel you no longer need to hammer on to get down anymore. If you set it up correctly for yourself, you'll notice changes in your skill level in no time.
A past guitar instructor of mine used to get on my nerves by always saying the following to me:
"That's good, now do it again". So I would, then he would say it again, so I would do it again, and again and again. Follow me? Repetition is key when learning guitar. You do the same thing over and over so many times it becomes automatic. When that happens, you move on to another area.