Hey, I'm looking to being able to get some decent recordings in.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good mic for guitar(electric) for a budget of around a hundred dollars or so.

I was also looking at these drum mics:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-DMK-5-Drum-Mic-Package-264535-i1127188.gc

Are those some good mics? Or could I find something better for that price?

Thanks.

EDIT: I was also wondering how effective drum mics were on guitar amps?
Last edited by Gaiad at Jul 16, 2010,
mics like the SM57 or SM58 will be fine on the amp but I would stay FAR away from those cheap nady drum mics.

I've had some mid range mics and some lower priced ones as well and every time, the cheap mics always sound so muddy and you can't clear them up at all.

Save your money and you'll be much happier in the end.
THIS set isn't a bad starer kit and covers your standard kit well. You'll just want to toss a Shure SM57 on top of the snare.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 16, 2010,
Alrighty, thanks for the response!

Also, is CAD a good brand quality wise?

And I'll make sure to check that link out, thanks!
Red 5 make a good budget drum mic kit (the only half decent budget drum mic kit I've heard) - they are manufactured in China to keep costs down, but actually sound pretty amazing for what you pay - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan04/articles/red5.htm
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I do like the look of those Red5s. Been looking for a decent/inexpensive drum mic set but really need a better kick mic than that one. Good base to start from though.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Meh, Tbh, If I use any mic's nowdays that aren't silly expensive I'll just drum replace them. There's about a million tools to do it, and it's the best of both worlds. You get the drummers performance AND you get the brilliant sounds.
Quote by alliwant
I do like the look of those Red5s. Been looking for a decent/inexpensive drum mic set but really need a better kick mic than that one. Good base to start from though.

I really rate the kick mic - I've A/B'd it with a Shure Beta52 (which I admittedly don't really like anyway) and a Sennheiser e602 & I'd take the red 5 over either of them - it's a really solid kick mic. The tom/snare mics are ok but not amazing - I use a 57 on snare anyway, and I got the set without the overheads (I use NT5's) so I can't really comment on them.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
I really rate the kick mic - I've A/B'd it with a Shure Beta52 (which I admittedly don't really like anyway) and a Sennheiser e602 & I'd take the red 5 over either of them - it's a really solid kick mic. The tom/snare mics are ok but not amazing - I use a 57 on snare anyway, and I got the set without the overheads (I use NT5's) so I can't really comment on them.

Yeah? You couldn't PM me a couple of examples from your A/B test? That'd be much appreciated
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by alliwant
Yeah? You couldn't PM me a couple of examples from your A/B test? That'd be much appreciated

+1 if you wouldn't mind actually, I'm intrigued looking at that price.
I think the recordings are still on the studio computer at college, so I won't be able to get at them until mid next week. I'm sure more people would be interested so I'll just post a new thread when I find the recordings.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?