besides the color (duh) what's the biggest differences between maple and rosewood?
Quote by conor1423
gracios, or sumthing im suck at spanish

You're not so great at english either.....lol
Hm... Are you sure you're not talking about fretboards?

There are rosewood necks, but I have never seen one except on shoot-me-now expensive PRS's.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Almost certainly fretboards. I know of rosewood necks on Pack Leaders (40 odd were made) but maple/rosewood/ebony are the standard fretboard woods. Ebony is the hardest and matches an otherwise all Mahogany guitar (like early LP Customs). Maple is next hardest and helps give Fenders their very bright sound when paired with Ash or Alder in the body. Rosewood is softest and works well with Ash, Alder and Maple-capped Mahogany. It is also used a lot on basswood guitars with Maple necks to give a well-balanced tone range.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

MusicMan make a few guitars with rosewood necks (or did, I'm not sure if you can still order them) and the old Ibanez Reb Beach model and his new Suhr signature model have rosewood necks too.

I never did get how the fretboard affected the sound.., doesn't the string get cut off at the frets when you push down anyway? I always thought it was more of a preference for bending notes
A maple fretboard gives a slightly-brighter-than-average tone. A rosewood fretboard gives a warmer tone, while ebony gives a brighter tone. Now if you're talking baout necks, it's taken to much more of an extreme; maple necks produce a very bright tone while rosewood necks produce perhaps the thickest and warmest tones of all.

Also, Fender used to make some Telecasters with rosewood necks, and Warmoth makes a lot of them.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
As well as the tonal difference, they have a slightly different feel. maple also doesn't take well to being treated with fretboard conditioner.
Quote by MrFlibble
A maple fretboard gives a slightly-brighter-than-average tone. A rosewood fretboard gives a warmer tone, while ebony gives a brighter tone. Now if you're talking baout necks, it's taken to much more of an extreme; maple necks produce a very bright tone while rosewood necks produce perhaps the thickest and warmest tones of all.

Also, Fender used to make some Telecasters with rosewood necks, and Warmoth makes a lot of them.

I've also seen a stratocaster with a rosewood neck in the hands of Joe Walsh.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
My Suhr has a cocobolo (=rosewood) neck:

It has a very smooth feel and I reckon the sound can be best described as ' articulated, but not overly bright' .
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Eh, cocobolo does have a significantly different tone to the more common rosewoods used in guitar manufacture, hence why it's always specified as being cocobolo and not just lumped in with the other rosewoods. Same with bocote. You can't really judge a common "rosewood" neck or fretboard by the standards of cocobolo.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.