where do you live?

you might want to look into getting a dehumidifier to protect your instrument. I've never had to deal with the problem myself, but I know it can be a big deal in some regions.
While extreme heat and humidity can have a detrimental effect on a guitar over time, it is the rapid changes that do damage. Where I live, it gets very humid in the summer and none of my guitars have sustained any noticeable wear/damage at all. Mainly because the wood in the guitars is acclimated to the local weather.

However, if the heat and humidity are a major concern for you, definitely get a de-humidifier.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY
well, i know it makes it go out of tune ^^

I'm going to look into it now , but I'm almost certain that it damages the truss rod
Quote by porcupinetree52
I'm going to look into it now , but I'm almost certain that it damages the truss rod

No it does not...

Regular temperatures are not going to have detrimental effects on your guitar. Rapid temperature changes or changing humidity can cause the wood to expand or contract, changing the curvature of the neck, but this is in extreme cases and it's never anything that isn't fixable by truss rod adjustment. Guitars are not as fragile as people think.

Why would temperature damage the truss rod? It's a metal rod....
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
it's definitely not good for it, but there's no guarantee that it'll damage anything. you should be ok, my AC was broken for a couple weeks here when we had that ridiculous heat wave (i guess we're really still having that heat wave ). none of my guitars were damaged at all, and the house was up to about 95 at the worst points.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Steve Holt
No it does not...

Regular temperatures are not going to have detrimental effects on your guitar. Rapid temperature changes or changing humidity can cause the wood to expand or contract, changing the curvature of the neck, but this is in extreme cases and it's never anything that isn't fixable by truss rod adjustment. Guitars are not as fragile as people think.

Why would temperature damage the truss rod? It's a metal rod....

Everything is affected by temperature. Literally, everything, and the 'metal rod' will be no exception. It might not damage it to the point of no return, but if you set your neck in 10 degrees C and then go play and keep it in 40+ degrees environments, you'll notice the difference. This is both the working of the wood as you said, as well as the truss changing to the weather/humidity/pressure.

EVERYTHING is affected by temperature, humidity and air pressure.
Last edited by Y00p at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by Y00p

Everything is affected by temperature. Literally, everything, and the 'metal rod' will be no exception. It might not damage it to the point of no return, but if you set your neck in 10 degrees C and then go play and keep it in 40+ degrees environments, you'll notice the difference. This is working of the wood as you said, but the truss will not be unaffected.

+1

but if its in case in a closed cupboard(where there is no sunlight and is dry)the damages will be literally unnoticeable..or none at all
It also depends on the quality of the guitar and what kind of build it is. A 1-piece neck is more sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity and warps easier than a 3 or 5-piece.
If my guitar can''t live where I live, I'll just get a new one when it dies. I'm not namby pamby-ing some piece of wood. I'll protect it from dings & scratches. Buff and polish it, but I ain't creating no sustained environment for it. Fooking guitar.

Well, that's my take on it.

Anyway, less than 130F you are good to go. Higher and you run the risk of glue breaking down. Any other effects are entirely adjustable.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Quote by Y00p

Everything is affected by temperature. Literally, everything, and the 'metal rod' will be no exception. It might not damage it to the point of no return, but if you set your neck in 10 degrees C and then go play and keep it in 40+ degrees environments, you'll notice the difference. This is both the working of the wood as you said, as well as the truss changing to the weather/humidity/pressure.

But in terms of metals 40+ degrees is pretty low... Once again the temperature changes will cause the metal to expand and contract but not in any way that is going to damage the guitar, unless in EXTREME circumstances.
I'm saying that the truss rod won't be damaged when it can easily withstand over 100°C. Surely that sort of temperature may damage the WOOD but not the truss rod.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
^i understand what you're saying.

with the temp changes and heat, the guitar might require a truss rod adjustment.

BUT it's not the ROD that's being "damaged".

either way, TS run a fan and keep the guitar in a case, in the shade, with silica packs in the case, if you think the humidity is high.

it'll save you from possible rust, and constant bridge and neck adjustments.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

either way, TS run a fan and keep the guitar in a case, in the shade, with silica packs in the case, if you think the humidity is high.

it'll save you from possible rust, and constant bridge and neck adjustments.

wow!I'd do that only if it were a custom chop anderson or something

+ there is no need for silica packets if its in a hardcase.. running a fan is preposterous ,like for 4 months?really..
due to travel and lack or storage etc, oteh only option i had for my first guitar a few years back was to wrap it in celophane and put it in teh attic in charleston SC during the summer. i dont know if you have been in charleston during august but it easily gets to be 100 and humid.

i pretty much assumed 50% the guitar would be ruined (but it was a worthelss guitar that i didnt care about any more....which is why i did it).

i came back and from what i can tell the guitar was undamaged. obviously needed a tune up and new strings, but i could nto detect any warping.

so....yes heat can damage it, but it is not a certainty. all conditions can be different, and woods too. and DO NOT do that with a guitar worth money. i got 40 bucks for that guitar, so.....if it did warp, big deal.
I live in a tropical climate, and my guitar is pretty much fine. Only thing is that the humid weather (plus my swimming pool, which is next to my room) causes metal parts to rust very fast.

I keep my guitar in an air-conditioned environment as much as possible.
I live in florida and i can see the changes in my guitars and basses by day and night, literally.
for instance i have a 20th anniversary squire P bass and the dead note on the G string at the 5th fret will change to the 7th fret at night. i also notice the difference in my instruments that they all buzz a little more at night, and this IS in an air conditioned room. the change from summer to winter requires a truss rod adjustment for all of my guitars and basses.

the heat and humidity is ALWAYS affecting the woods in an instrument, no matter how slight a variation. you may not notice the change, you may not even hear it, but it is there no matter how minute.

As others have said it is possible to damage a truss rod with heat but this must be very high temperatures over a period of time to do any damage.
Would i suggest a humidifier, meh couldnt hurt but i dont use one and despite minor changes to my necks i really dont see much of a need for one.
Quote by archenemyfan

+ there is no need for silica packets if its in a hardcase.. running a fan is preposterous ,like for 4 months?really..

I don't see you giving any better advice.

I'm pretty sure what she's getting at is "If you're THIS paranoid, then you should do this." I've kept the original silica pack from my case in there

Realistically TS, your guitar will settle into the climate. In fact, when the season changes, my guitar adjusts. There's lots of un-fixable buzzing until the instrument is fully settled.

I also haven't had my truss rod adjusted in 2 years, but my neck is pretty straight and it doesn't really matter.
Quote by archenemyfan

if it's in any case you'd want silica packs in high humidity.

and obviously i meant run a fan in the room when people are living there.
where the fuk did you read 4 months running this appliance?
is he going on a quest somewhere, and i missed this info?

why is it ridiculous to adjust the room conditions?
he's asking so this is obviously a concern.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 16, 2010,