I want to get this song up to speed within a week so I can put it up on youtube and move onto the next song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcxI8LUnKMo

The plan
I am thinking of playing from 0:18 (where it gets difficult) to 1:12. I made 2 errors playing at 30% speed (1st I sped up a note 2nd fretted wrong). I can play it nineteen times in an hour at 30% speed. If I practice at this speed for an hour every day for 7 days that will be 135 times.

I will also be practicing other technique for hour in morning/night.

Questions
1. Is economy picking bad/incorrect?
I noticed that I economy pick whenever I change strings in the direction my pick was moving although I read an article saying that economy picking was a "bad habit" (http://lorinator.feminoise.com/the-real-secret-to-playing-fast/) so do I need to correct this to not limit my picking speed now and in the future?

If you have any tips or advice that may help me defeat this song forever please let me know.
Last edited by 03-13-2010 at Jul 16, 2010,
Economy picking a bad habit? Sorry but I just don't get it. Economy picking(the way I see it) is about saving energy as often as possible. How could that be a bad habit? Less energy is always the best. Sure you might need adjustement or anything w/e, but still. It just makes no senses to me.

On topic, I do not think within a week is possible. Don't take offence, it's just you have it at 1/3 the speed, I just don't think you can master a song that fast. I mean I practice songs everydays, at more then 50%, and after a few months I still don't have it right. Sometimes it takes a lot of time.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

30% for the whole time is too slow, you'll probably be able to increment the speed at fairly regular intervals starting at 30% if you play it as much as you have planned here. Economy picking is not bad. It's equally useful to be able to economy pick and alternate pick well, so that you can use either. Personally I go with whatever sounds best for the piece to me, but you shouldn't neglect one skill for the sake of the other.
Make sure you use a metronome when you practice it, even if it is just playing along with the clicks in your tab software. Tuxguitar has a really useful training mode and can handle guitar pro and powertab files well.
Inhuman evil take down!
@Spike6sic6
That's alright I suppose, I just don't want to put in a lot of effort and be on better off as long as I am heading in the right direction I'm be pleased.

It is good to know I was not practicing a bad habit.

@18th_Angel
I have been just playing along with guitar pro playing the song, is playing with just a metronome better?

When and how much would you recommend I increase the speed, with guitar pro I can loop the part I want to practice and have it increase by as little as 1bpm each time I play it?

Also would fatigue play a role in the hour of practice should I take breaks etc?
No playing with the song on guitar pro is just as good. Increase the speed when you feel you can play it as close to perfectly as you can at that tempo. Make sure you do it in chunks, maybe 3 or 4 bars at a time, rather than trying to go through the whole thing form start to finish every time as that is really counter-productive. Sometimes if you feel yourself getting stuck at a certain speed try pushing it up a bit higher and playing along then going back down to it. One hour isn't that much really, just rest your arm when you feel like it needs it. When you feel comfortable and want to move the speed up try 4 or 8bpm more, its up to you really.
Inhuman evil take down!
Alright looks like I'll be doing it in 5 chunks (4 bars). Would it be best to practice chunk one for say 10 minutes then move onto the next chunk until 50 minutes are filled up. That leaves 10 minutes left over.

With some rough calculations each chunk will be 10 seconds long (or 24 seconds long at 30% speed) so I should be able to play each chunk 60 times (17 times at 30% speed) within 10 minutes.

Does that sound right?
Yeah theoretically but it will take you a little bit longer cause you'll pause and make mistakes and browse UG forums etc. You might need to do more or less than 10 mins, its up to you. Whatever seems like its working for you is good.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by 18th_Angel
Yeah theoretically but it will take you a little bit longer cause you'll pause and make mistakes and browse UG forums etc. You might need to do more or less than 10 mins, its up to you. Whatever seems like its working for you is good.

Alright thanks I'll give it an honest go and see how I improve over the next week. I'll also apply this to some of the other stuff I am practicing (rhythm guitar cover and a sweep exercise).
Quote by 03-13-2010
Alright thanks I'll give it an honest go and see how I improve over the next week. I'll also apply this to some of the other stuff I am practicing (rhythm guitar cover and a sweep exercise).

personally i would do just this. there is no point in rushing, if you relax and practice with out rushing you would get it done faster than like "I NEED OT GET IT UP NAOOOZZ!!!11!

btw why is ur profile that date? because its my bday too haha

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Quote by maximumrocker
personally i would do just this. there is no point in rushing, if you relax and practice with out rushing you would get it done faster than like "I NEED OT GET IT UP NAOOOZZ!!!11!

btw why is ur profile that date? because its my bday too haha

That is the date that I had a dream about playing guitar, I bought a guitar the following weekend.

Back on topic I found that I could effortlessly play the difficult parts at 75bpm (75%) I ran out of time to try any higher speed though. I noticed that I pick pretty well with very little movement as if I was tremolo picking and I noticed that when I play the following bar my third finger automatically reaches for the 18th fret g string as I play the 18th fret b string muscle memory is pretty cool.

100bpm

2-----1-----3-----2-----1-----2-----3-----2-----1-----1
^-----v-----v-----^-----^------v------v------^------v------^

E|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---18---17---------------16---15----------------------------|
G|---------------18---17---------------18---17---16---16----|
D|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
8th 8th 8th 8th 16th 16th 16th 16th 8th 8th

You can see how I economy pick, I'm interested to know if anyone would play this any differently (fingers used direction picked etc).

I'll see how I go tomorrow.
Last edited by 03-13-2010 at Jul 17, 2010,
Picking is good (btw, '^' for a downstroke and 'v' for an upstroke..? Seems confusing to me. I'd use 'd' and 'u')

Fingers are also good. But you should try the end with both 3-2-1-1 and 4-3-2-2. I don't want you to neglect your pinky
Quote by n00bje
Picking is good (btw, '^' for a downstroke and 'v' for an upstroke..? Seems confusing to me. I'd use 'd' and 'u')

Fingers are also good. But you should try the end with both 3-2-1-1 and 4-3-2-2. I don't want you to neglect your pinky

Thanks, I see what you mean about the pinky. I won't use it for this song but in the future I'll take your advice.
Quote by kian89
I see an Insulting comment for UGers on the top o your video link . WTF

Please explain.

Here is one of five attempts I did today (2 errors).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghlUF-tfiEw

I'll attempt this some more tomorrow and see if I can get it perfect (I'll also use some reverb to sustain the note at 00:47). After that I can finally (after months of hearing this droning sound) work on my second song.

Does it look like I am doing anything wrong technique wise?
Last edited by 03-13-2010 at Aug 2, 2010,