Ok, so in a previous thread that I made, I stated that i am having noise problems in guitar rig.

The best way to describe the noise is that its like white noise with some very light electrical sounds mixed in with it.

Changing the latency in guitar rig has no effect on the noise.

I have also disabled "Power management for usb" as recommended by NI themselves. The noise is still there.

So now I am left with the recommendation of getting a recording interface.

My current setup is the Creative Audigy 2 ZS with external box.

I'm a noob regarding these "interfaces" but I need a little help with finding the right one for me.

First of all I'm amazed at how many bad interfaces are in existence....

I've been reading reviews on harmony central and some of them are shockingly bad.

e.g.

-some don't remember settings
-some aren't shielded from interference, etc....

Seems to me like one has to pick there interface very VERY carefully.

So anyway, I will give you all as much information as I can to make this easier:

1. It has to be properly shielded from interference (hence the reason why I'm buying of these damn things, lol)

2. I am not going to be recording more than one thing at a time so ONE guitar input and ONE mic input would be just fine. This way I can save money.

3. Decent preamps for both guitar and mic included (phantom power for mic). This one is really important because if I am going to spend the $$$ on an interface I don't want to have to buy a separate preamp as well.

4. Remembering settings is also handy

and

5. My budget is about $400-500

P.S.

This is a fairly important question as well.....

These things connect through firewire but I don't have a firewire card. The only firewire connection I have is on my Audigy soundcard....... which is no good.

When you buy an interface, is a firewire card generally included?
A firewire card is not included---

I would look for an actual audio card--- not something made by a "soundcard" manufacturer. The Creative card might be good for a home theater system/media center--- but you need a decent set of convertors with an ASIO driver.

Are you trying to record guitar direct? I have never had good luck with that-- basically there is no decent tone. Maybe others have had better experience with that than I have, but I would always mic a small amp.

I have always used Echo products, and their Gina 3G should fit your needs. Assuming you have a desktop, you can install a PCI card and skip the firewire issue entirely. It also has the preamps you need, without a ton of channels that you don't need. Not sure what you mean about a card not remembering its settings. I never had an issue with an Echo product. I would just set it and forget it, and control levels from an outboard mixer.

But if you are serious about this, you might consider buying a basic mixer that has phantom power, etc. to use as a "patch bay." It isn't fun shuffling cables all the time.
I was talking about the interface not remembering settings.

Well maybe an interface will solve the noise problem.

I just need enough responses from people that have interfaces. This forum seems to be pretty quiet though.

All I want is to be able to play without this bullshit white noise. Maybe if i just get a preamp I can boost the guitar signal way over the noise then bring the main volume down.

I'm just not sure because I need input from everybody on this matter...
Check out the Pod Studio series. I was not able to get the software (POD Farm) to work, but it's a good interface and I've heard fantastic results with it. UX1 should have everything you need and it's cheap.
is it shielded from interference? I just need the issue of noise to be addressed thats all
Quote by meneedit
Ok, so in a previous thread that I made, I stated that i am having noise problems in guitar rig.

The best way to describe the noise is that its like white noise with some very light electrical sounds mixed in with it.

I'm having the same problem here and im getting an interface as well.
Here are the links, the first one is an interface just for guitar and the second is smth a little more expensive.

Behringer UCG102

Alesis IO 2 express

If you want something more cheap than all i can recomend is one of those usb cables.

Hope it helps : )
Quote by meneedit
I'm guessing there aren't alot of interface users here then?

There are, just stop bumping your own thread. This isn't the pit, and there aren't as many people here, but someone will answer you if you just wait for a while. For you I would recommend the Pod Studio GX. All you want to do is play guitar from the sounds of what your saying, and not much else, and that does it in a nice, simple, easy to use package. I don't own one, but everyone here seems to go mental for them as something easy, and I have a friend who has one. It's pretty much just plug in and go, and comes with a free amp sim, though you seem to have guitar rig. This should also get rid of any noise you have, as it's a decent quality interface. If you want to do more than just play guitar/record guitar, send a message back and I can recomend some other things.
Quote by MightyOwned
Do you have a firewire port on your computer? If not, with a budget of $400-500, you can easily afford a firewire interface and a good firewire card.

If you do, however, look into the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, the Presonus Firebox, the Echo Audiofire 4 or the M-Audio Firewire Solo.

Yeah, but from what I can tell, this dude doesn't really want to do much, it's not worth spending $400 if all you want to do is play guitar, and judging from the comment, "I'm guessing no one here using an interface" or whatever it is, I'm guessing this guy, no offence, isn't the most clued up, so something simple may be good.
I'm very much for a Line 6 Toneport UX8, I've used it in the studio almost exclusively and its absolutely fantastic for what it does. Especially when the engineer knows what he's doing.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by RBM01991
I'm very much for a Line 6 Toneport UX8, I've used it in the studio almost exclusively and its absolutely fantastic for what it does. Especially when the engineer knows what he's doing.

No. I flat out disagree with you there. If you have more than 2 channels firewire is the only way to go for a quality recording interface. As harsh as it may sound, USB just doesn't have the speed to cope with recording more than that. Especially for monitoring out aswell.
Quote by theepiczebra
No. I flat out disagree with you there. If you have more than 2 channels firewire is the only way to go for a quality recording interface. As harsh as it may sound, USB just doesn't have the speed to cope with recording more than that. Especially for monitoring out aswell.

Thing is I've never used it for more than one channel at a time. I only use it for vocals and guitar, and I record each separate. That way I get to control the quality much better and I can get better takes. I dont know why would you use more than one channel unless you're recording live...which if you're going to do that, you need more than the Line 6 offers obviously...especially room wise.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by RBM01991
Thing is I've never used it for more than one channel at a time. I only use it for vocals and guitar, and I record each separate. That way I get to control the quality much better and I can get better takes. I dont know why would you use more than one channel unless you're recording live...which if you're going to do that, you need more than the Line 6 offers obviously...especially room wise.

Drums. Tbh, drums are the only reason you'd want an interface that big. For anything less I'd just get a smaller interface. But for 8 channels, if you plan on properly using it, firewire is the way to go.
Quote by theepiczebra
Drums. Tbh, drums are the only reason you'd want an interface that big. For anything less I'd just get a smaller interface. But for 8 channels, if you plan on properly using it, firewire is the way to go.

Thing is Line 6's smaller interfaces dont have the quality that the UX8 has. I believe it has to do with the samplers and the amp models, but I dont remember. I have to ask my engineer. Honestly I prefer to track drums rather than play them, much easier.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by meneedit
So now I am left with the recommendation of getting a recording interface.

Sounds like a proper move.
I've been reading reviews on harmony central and some of them are shockingly bad.
e.g.
-some don't remember settings
-some aren't shielded from interference, etc....

Sounds like most people on HC don't know how to review gear properly....I've never heard of such claims...

Ok so there are some great choices out there for your budget and I suggest the M-Audio Fast Track Pro which has two mic/instrument inputs and phantom power. If you want something a little lower in price, consider the M-Audio Fast Track MKII or even some of the Line6 Toneports. I generally like the M-audio build and sound quality better though.

As for "remembering setting"...this is done with the software, not the hardware device but your preamps won't be reset with the restarting of your computer or anything like that.

Some interfaces are firewire, others are USB. If you don't have firewire you can add one easily to a desktop with a product such as this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800998056

The Fast Track Pro is a USB interface so that should work just fine on your system.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by theepiczebra
Yeah, but from what I can tell, this dude doesn't really want to do much, it's not worth spending $400 if all you want to do is play guitar, and judging from the comment, "I'm guessing no one here using an interface" or whatever it is, I'm guessing this guy, no offence, isn't the most clued up, so something simple may be good.

ok well first of all thats not very nice , secondly I did that simply for a bump because my thread was already half way down the list and sinking fast , and thirdly you are spot on.... I dont want to do much. I dont give a flying f**k about pod farm because all I am going to be doing is playing riffs through guitar rig and recording them in audition.

However, I am also going to be plugging in a condenser mic and I thought the ux1 was perfect until I found out that it doesn't have phantom power. The UX2 has phantom power but unfortunately has way more channels than what i want so it is overkill and a waste of money.

'moody07747', I know you said that the reviewers on HC don't know what they're talking about but the line 6 studio pods were the only products I found on harmony central that had more positive comments than not. Especially on the UX1. The UX1 has a few comments that give it an overall rating of 10. Everything else (M-audio, MOTU, etc...) have some really bad comments such as being very noisy, bad drivers, horrible support.

Its all very hard.

I really do appreciate all the replies though everybody

The UX1 seems perfect for me.... It's just a pity about the phantom power.
Every interface has its pros and cons and every one of them in the lower price range has just about the same features/preamps so they will sound the same.

it comes down to driver support on most of them and for me, M-Audio has always worked best.

Pro Studios use higher end gear for a reason.
Reliability, preamp quality, ADA converter quality, and overall function.
Quote by meneedit
ok well first of all thats not very nice , secondly I did that simply for a bump because my thread was already half way down the list and sinking fast , and thirdly you are spot on.... I dont want to do much. I dont give a flying f**k about pod farm because all I am going to be doing is playing riffs through guitar rig and recording them in audition.

However, I am also going to be plugging in a condenser mic and I thought the ux1 was perfect until I found out that it doesn't have phantom power. The UX2 has phantom power but unfortunately has way more channels than what i want so it is overkill and a waste of money.

Hey, I'm sorry if that came off a little harsh, It wasn't meant to (well, i probably did because i Was in a bad mood) and if I did seem a little mean then i apolgise. If you want to use a condenser, then you'll want something a little bigger, I'm just saying, there's no point in owning something like this

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/16231-tascam-dm-4800-digital-mixing-console.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

If you just wanna use one channel to play guitar through But if you wanna do more than that, go a little bigger, but from the sounds of things I would spend over a few hundered on something with 8 channels and loads of bells and whistles if your not gonna have a scinaro where you need all 8 at once
Last edited by theepiczebra at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by theepiczebra
i apolgise

thats ok man

Quote by theepiczebra
but from the sounds of things I would spend over a few hundered on something with 8 channels and loads of bells and whistles if your not gonna have a scinaro where you need all 8 at once

yeah i think maybe i should get the UX2 for the phantom power I just wish it was cheaper.
Quote by theepiczebra

You do know that the main between firewire and USB is the fact that USB uses your processor to process the recorded music and FW uses it's own process. I use all 8 on my UX8 without any latency while monitoring or during playback. , FW isn't without problems either with being picky about chipsets (TI)and all, know what I mean? Bet you as much as you want that USB has more than enough speed.
Quote by Apc3
You do know that the main between firewire and USB is the fact that USB uses your processor to process the recorded music and FW uses it's own process. I use all 8 on my UX8 without any latency while monitoring or during playback. , FW isn't without problems either with being picky about chipsets (TI)and all, know what I mean? Bet you as much as you want that USB has more than enough speed.

Nope. The main difference between USB and firewire is that firewire can give a guranteed speed. You plug something in and you KNOW what speed you will get, USB can check shit here there and everywhere and it can mess up, giving you pop's and clicks. This is why Firewire is better than USB.
The M-Audio Fast Track Pro is the one for you in my opinion. I'm not 100% on the Line 6 stuff but the M-Audio thing can record at more than decent quality (up to 24bit/96kHz), will do everything you've said you want to do (including phantom power for a condenser mic). Plus it comes with software too if memory serves. Rather inexpensive too so all in all, a good piece of kit.

Having used other M-Audio products I've never had trouble with them Good luck anyhoo.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
connection type info:
http://tweakheadz.com/audio_interfaces_2.htm

FW can be picky with chipsets but yea it's much smoother with more dense data streaming. I love using firewire on large audio interfaces and all my video gear, it just makes working with some equipment so much easier.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 20, 2010,
Cakewalk (Roland) UA-4FX

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=758

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Cakewalk-UA4FX-USB-Audio-Interface-with-FX-?sku=243034

It's USB, Phantom powered, I use it, I love it, it's great quality, it's all you need

Alternate ideas for you though:
something from the line-6 POD family

or the Zoom G2.1u (guitar to this then direct to computer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPEpRsD5T0
Last edited by MetalMike99 at Jul 21, 2010,
i'm still feeling pretty strongly about the UX1 but unfortunately its not phantom powered.
Definitely gonna go with the Edirol UA-4FX now. Nothing but positive reviews on many sites...

Phantom power as you mentioned.... MIDI ports (which I also need so that I can do away with my piece of shit audigy box.)

Thank you MetalMike, you have helped me more than you can imagine.