well i just wanted to ask and i'm sure this is in the right place but anyway would anyone by chance have some advice for someone who is starting out solo?
any kind of advice would be helpful (:
Best thing to do wou;d be to get an amp theat will handle both vocals and guitar such as a Marshall AS50 0r AS80R or the stagg ones are nice as well. Then learn the covers you really want to learn.
Then learn some popular ones that everyone can sing along to.
I'd probably open with a popular one to grab everyones attention then second I'd play something that looks technically difficult such as Feels Like Home by Newton Faulkner. This will keep there attention on you then you can do pretty much what you want but remember to keep throwing the popular ones in.
What guitar do you have?
well i shall take a look around to see if i can find an amp but for a specific one i tikn imight have to travel into the city oh well, and i have learned some covers such as some Secondhand Serenade, and The Spill Canvas but i'll learn some popular ones as well and i also am working on writing original material, and i've never heard that song, i shall check it out since i am expanding my music range, and i own an Epiphone AJ acoustic
Sounds good. Have a play through some if you can. Newton Faulkners stuff is amazing, especially fromm his first album and he is great live, one of the best gigs I've been to. Some of his stuff is hard but once you get the basic idea you should be fine. Dawsons sell a tab book for his albums so If you like him it might be worth investing in them that's how I learnt some of his songs.
Just a thought but it might be worth getting a 12 string acoustic just to add something a bit different to your set. You don't see many people with them.
Definately throw your own stuff in as well.
What budget are you looking at spending if you don't mind me asking?
i plan to listen and learn his work and new songs can be hard at times i'm still relatively new to guitar cause it's been about a year since i start but in the past few months i really got into it with acoustic stuff, and i've never heard of that store but if i can find one i'll make sure to take a look
a 12 string, is ther a certain way to tune it cause i've seen one before but those extra strings had me a little confused but i really wouldn't mind one i wnat to try out alot of different acoustics, but i make sure to do my own stuff once i have some down to memory
i don't mind at all, well i am native and i live on a reserve and we're on welfare except for my brothers working on seasonal housing at the moment but i'm kind of on a tight budget cause i got my acoustic on sale for 20% off and it was 130 but i got it for 118 with all the tax and stuff
Fair enough. Dawsons is an English shop for some reason I thought you were in England. In America you'd be best off looking at Sam Ash or Musicians Friend or Guitar Center.
The extra strings on a 12 string are what they call octave strings which means they are tuned to an octave higher than the others apart from the thin e and b strings which are the same. So the thick E has an octave string tuned to the next E above it.
It's actually a lot easier than I made it sound.
It's also worth looking on Ebay and craiglist. Another good way to do it is to sign up to the mailing lists for all your local stores and you'll get offers through like 20% off.
I'd concentrate on getting an amp with a mic input before the 12 string. I think second hand will probably be your best bet.
Are you ok with going second hand?
well i live in canada so there still might be different shops but there's only one local shop that does sell electronics and instruments so i'll ask there if they have any amps that support mics, and well tah tuning doesn't sound too hard i'll most likely get the hang of it
as for Ebay and such i don't have a credit card to order stuff online but i can look around for any local ad's that might be selling
and second hand doesn't bother me, i try to not be too picky
My advice is to be pretty damn entertaining if you are playing solo. A lot of people around here will over-look someone without others backing them up. It's sad I know but it's the way it is in northeast america. Unless you're playing open mics, where there are a lot of solo artists and it's expected, it may be kind of tough not to fall into the background. There are a lot of cafe's and restaurants here that hire solo musicians to basically be live background music while guests eat or converse.
Fair enough. In Canada I think one of the main shops is Long & Mcquade I think I spelt that right.
Second hand would definately be the way to go. Id still check ebay as they might be collection only items especially with amps and people often prefer cash on collection.
Local ads definately a good idea as well. I hope all this has helped.
Also, I'd definately check the Stagg amps out, don't know whether you get them in Canada but if you do I'd try them.
@SeeEmilyPlay i do agree with you that i would have to try to be more entertaining as i am relatively a shy person, thanks for the advice (:

@SlashAppetite well it might be i'm not too familiar with musical stuff yet as in stores and places to go and such, and i'll check ebay to see what there is, and i thank you too for your advice it was really helpful
i'll see if there is any Stagg amps, i'm quite curious to see teh differences in all these different types of instruments and amps
Good stuff. Let us know how it all goes. I'm doing my first performances on the 1st August. One with my band one in an acoustic duo. Hope it all goes well.
well hope my search goes well and i dont plan on any shows anytime soon as to i want to learn some covers grow musically and get some original work down, and i do hope your show goes splendid, let me know (:
Err, what?

So the advice for someone starting out solo is buy an amp, learn hard covers and get heavier strings?

How about this;

1. First decide whether you are going to play covers or original songs. They have very different demands, audiences and venues. You don't do half/half, and if you do play covers, play popular songs that people like to listen to, rather than the hardest songs you can find.

2. It is good to invest in a mic, but it is not always necessary to purchase an acoustic amp except for places which don't supply a PA. Luckily for you, most places do.

3. Get a set together. This is the most important thing, because without music, all this gear has no point.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^ +1

Also, make sure you know the songs you're going to do inside and out. Practice until you are certain they're imprinted onto your brain.

First open mic I ever did I was so nervous I forgot the words to a song I'd not practiced much, it's mortifying!

Good luck