ok, so my guitar's in drop c right now and i was wondering if you guys can tell me how to tune my guitar back to standard without using a tuner, or having another guitar that is already in standard tuning, thanks in advance for the replies
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

www.tunemybass.com
click on 6 string guitar and standard.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
well u can take a note from ur drop c like g on the second string and tune the fourth string to g like it is in standard and then tune the other strings according to that g
@richyt93

i did mention without a tuner...

@silxz

erm... what? i don't really know any note on the guitar... i was hoping for something like hold 7th fret of 6th string and tune to 5th string, something like that...
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Last edited by shadowz_fall at Jul 16, 2010,
it just plays the note man, and you tune up to it, its not difficult.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
well u should learn them its basic stuff and quite useful
and u can still do what i said without knowing the notes - just tune the fourth string to the same note as the second string, and tune the other string according to the fourth string(fifth fret on the third string to the same note as the fourth etc etc, i hope u know that)

and im counting the strings from thicker to thinner

and richy he wants to do it WITHOUT A TUNER
@silxz

thanks man, i'm gonna try it hope i get it right though, i've been bashing my head on my table for days, trying to tune my guitar back to standard

@richyt93

yes, i know that... but i wanna know HOW to tune my guitar from drop c back to standard, WITHOUT a tuner, or maybe what i was thinking is impossible lol was hoping there's some sort of method to do it
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

np man but u should really learn how the notes stand on the guitar it really lightens stuff up
I learnt standard tuning by ear, can't do it as exact as a tuner but it gets in E standard. A good technique is to listen to standard E tuning being played one string at a time, and remember what the notes sound like in your head. It sounds like jibberish, but thats how I do it.
Quote by shadowz_fall
@silxz

thanks man, i'm gonna try it hope i get it right though, i've been bashing my head on my table for days, trying to tune my guitar back to standard

@richyt93

yes, i know that... but i wanna know HOW to tune my guitar from drop c back to standard, WITHOUT a tuner, or maybe what i was thinking is impossible lol was hoping there's some sort of method to do it

Learn the notes and that's it. Find the notes you need on the other strings and tune the strings you want to that.
Quote by shadowz_fall
i've been bashing my head on my table for days, trying to tune my guitar back to standard

Then use a tuner...?

Anyway, the notes on your 6th string are now:
C - C# - D - D# - E - ...
That's the 4th fret on the 6th string. (Standard tuning is E on the 6th string)

On the 5th string this is:
4th fret - 5 (for standard tuning string difference between 6th and 5th string) + 2 (for drop tuning) = 1 fret. (well that's the way I do it)

Your 6th string should be in standard tuning now. Hope you know how to do the rest...
Last edited by n00bje at Jul 16, 2010,
what worked for me was listening to the notes as i was tuning with an electronic tuner. after that everytime i picked it up i would tune by ear theni would check with the tuner. these days i get pretty darn close. its a process, definitely easier than just praying you get it close to in tune.

since you have been trying for days to get it back in tune, who knows what it those strings are tuned to. might as well use that online tuner and get back in tune.
Last edited by fibaz at Jul 16, 2010,
@Shinami

yeah, i guess i'll try to do that

@n00bje

then read my post before you tell me to use a tuner? seriously man...
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Hold down the 9th fret of the 6th string and tune your 5th string to that. Then tune your 6th string up so the 5th fret sounds like the open 5th string. Then tune all the strings up so that the 5th fret of the 5th string sounds like the open 4th string, the 5th fret of the 4th string sounds like the open 3rd, the 4th fret of the 3rd string sounds like the open 2nd string, and the 5th fret of the 2nd string sounds like the open 1st string. Learn your notes.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by shadowz_fall
@richyt93

i did mention without a tuner...

@silxz

erm... what? i don't really know any note on the guitar... i was hoping for something like hold 7th fret of 6th string and tune to 5th string, something like that...

what is this like a test? For godsake, use the online tuner if you dont know how. Then the more you do it like that, the better youll get at it.
Quote by shadowz_fall
@n00bje
then read my post before you tell me to use a tuner? seriously man...

Then stop bashing your head on the table and explain to me why you persist on not using a tuner? Which is better than your relative tuning. And which you could have used to find out yourself how you can tune from drop-C to standard E, btw. -_-
Like you said, use the 7th fret to get to D standard, then use 7th fret throughout

You answered your own question
Put your guitar in to d standard, and then do what Shroom said
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
@Junior#1

woot, thanks man will try to learn notes

@ThrashKing

yeah, well sorta like a test, i wanna learn how to tune my guitar without a tuner i mean for godsake if you wanna stick to using a tuner, then leave me out of it

@n00bje

oh come on... just read my first post... but if it wasn't so clear to you... i want to learn how to tune my guitar without a tuner... ya know... coz it sucks having to depend on a device or something to tune your guitar? maybe?

@The Shroom420

yeah i sorta realized that now, i was just making sure that i was doing it right
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Last edited by shadowz_fall at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by shadowz_fall
@Junior#1

oh come on... just read my first post... but if it wasn't so clear to you... i want to learn how to tune my guitar without a tuner... ya know... coz it sucks having to depend on a device or something to tune your guitar? maybe?

That's nice but realize that there's no way to get your guitar in tune by ear if you don't even know the notes and what fret to tune to to get a certain note. You'll probably be off by 5 or 10 cents on each string. If you wanna learn how to not use a tuner, then use a tuner.
@shadowz_fall: If your guitar isn't perfectly in tune already, then tuning it to E Standard without a reference of some sort like a tuner probably wont get you to where you want to be. You'll probably end up in Eb then wonder why it sounds weird playing over songs or something.
There's nothing embarrassing about using a tuner or reference note.

And even though you want to tune without a tuner, you should learn the notes of the neck and learn about intervals. That way, if you don't have a tuner or reference note handy, you can still know which notes are which and how far to tune each string.
@Eryth

*sigh* i DO know how to use a tuner, i never said i didn't know how to... i'm gonna have to disagree on realizing that there's no way to tune my guitar without a tuner though, even though i don't know the notes on the guitar by their name, i know them by their sound or something, so i think i can manage

@tenfold

actually if i fail to tune my guitar from drop c to standard, i just borrow my neighbor's already tuned guitar, and tune my guitar to it, i guess that's the same thing right? and i am not embarrassed about having to use a tuner or ref. its just that i find it better to be able to tune my guitar without those stuff, and it's sorta like training my ear too so its not that bad and thanks for the advice, i'm gonna try learning the notes too
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Nah I didn't say you have to learn how to use a tuner. However using a tuner which gives you a reference note (frequency) to tune to. Get those in your head, like somebody before me said. That way you'll learn to recognize notes and tune by ear 10x better than when you'd just use frets as a reference.
@Eryth

yeah well i hope it ain't as hard as it sounds seems like i'll have to be a human tuner
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.