I just bought a 50W Kustom Defender amplifier. I tried it with my DS-1 and it sounds terrible. Is it supposed to? Are all tube amps react with such distortion pedals like that? Are there any distortion pedals specifically for tube amps? Can I do something to make my ds-1 sound better?
Mod it. Lots of people don't like stock DS-1s.

There's no such thing as a distortion pedal made specifically for a certain amp, and no, not all tubes react with distortion pedals like that.

How do you feel about the amp's distortion? It probably sounds better than your DS-1.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
It all depends, I tried a DS-1 on my Defender and it sounded terrible. I now use a ML-2 and it sounds great (I use it in combination with the drive from the amp to stack the distortion).

Remember that tweaking the EQ on your amp will also make a big difference when using distortion pedals, especially on the Kustom Defender (my experience).
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
What you are hearing is a DS-1 in all it's glory.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
In my experience I've found that tube amps and distortion do not mix well. It gets way too muddy. You could work with the tone a bit- keep the treble up, the mids down and the bass a little higher than mids. The DS-1 is a classic distortion but there are probably better options that would work with your amp. I'd check out the big muff distortions- maybe try the American. I own the Russian and when I used it with my bassman (tube) it was hard to get a good tone if I turned the amp past 3 on the volume.
I use my DS-1 with my all-tube Crate, and it doesn't sound good, it's not the amp, it's the pedal.
It's just not a good one..
I have a DS-1 in my GP-8 which I've owned for around 30 years. It's the one effect that never gets turned on. I don't care what anybody says, they are a dreadful pedal. The Scandinavian buzzsaw crowd should keep them away from general society so we can regulate their usage against unsuspecting public..

They are however a good basis for modding. LOTS of modding.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Flyby8
I just bought a 50W Kustom Defender amplifier. I tried it with my DS-1 and it sounds terrible. Is it supposed to? Are all tube amps react with such distortion pedals like that? Are there any distortion pedals specifically for tube amps? Can I do something to make my ds-1 sound better?

Get a Keeley Mod for the DS-1. It will make a big difference...
the ds-1 has got it's place. it shouldn't be your only distortion though...
it's like satan's treble booster.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
The DS1 will probably work better as a dirty boost, turn the gain right down, turn the volume up and use it over the amp's distortion
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks guys, I'll probably try modding it and I'll also check out these other pedals you were talking about. I also used the Digitech Grunge pedal. Both of them suited REALLY nice with the Orange Crush 30R, but with the Kustom Defender it's like a terrible fuzz or smth. Well, good thing Grunge has a mixer and an amp outputs, so now I use the mixer output. No, I don't really like the amps distortion so much. I need a heavier one. I tried changing the amp's settings but it wasn't much use.
Quote by Flyby8
Thanks guys, I'll probably try modding it and I'll also check out these other pedals you were talking about. I also used the Digitech Grunge pedal. Both of them suited REALLY nice with the Orange Crush 30R, but with the Kustom Defender it's like a terrible fuzz or smth. Well, good thing Grunge has a mixer and an amp outputs, so now I use the mixer output. No, I don't really like the amps distortion so much. I need a heavier one. I tried changing the amp's settings but it wasn't much use.

Which is why you should try using the pedal over it, the DS1 isn't the best choice admittedly but it could do a job for you - like I said back the gain off.

Failing that you probably want to be looking at some kind of overdrive pedal instead
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Flyby8

If you want something heavier than the Keeley DS-1 then check the Keeley MT-2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfTbeLKndGI&feature=PlayList&p=5632C30A07AA0946&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34
I think you might need to invest in an OD. If you can, try your amp with either a tube screamer (Ibanez or Maxon) or, for much cheaper, a Digitech Bad Monkey (which isn't too bad for the price)

There are better choices out there, but they're the two that spring to mind instantly. The Jetter ODs are supposedly really good, but expensive.