Could've sworn there was an ultimate tube thread, but whatever. Time to replace my tubes in my Peavey Classic 30, it's got 4 EL84's and 3 12AX7's. I'm looking for a dirty tone, that's the only way to even describe it, just DIRT. What's a good brand to help achieve this sound? If it helps, I'm running a Strat through it
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Don't they have JJs in stock?
What didn't you like about those?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Ahh, the one I played a couple months back had JJs in it, sounded sweet.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Would you say that the JJs sounded like a pretty good match for the amp?
Yeah, the Peavey really did sound good on both channels with the JJs, really good warm cleans, nice breakup, obviously not metal or anything, but I doubt that's what you're after anyway. I'd definatly recommend JJs for Classic 30s.
Between the two of you, I've decided to go all JJ. Thanks for the help guys, problem resolved. Until next time..
I'm extremely satisfied with these JJ's, good recommendation guys.
My new one came stock with JJ's for all tubes.

Over at the PV forums, the standard suggestion is V1 -Tungsol RI, V2 - JJ, and V3 - Sovtek LPS so I'm going to try it.
Nice. I always underestimate how good fresh tubes sound, I've been rocking out nonstop