I have a Jackson DXMG Dinky that I keep in Drop C Tuning. I've used Slinky Top Heavy Bottom strings the past couple of times I've had to change strings. I'm into playing technical metal (sweeps etc.) and Im wondering if anyone has suggestions of better strings then the ones I'm currently using. I don't really have a problem with the strings but I would like to know if there are better strings for me to be shredding on. Suggestions?
I can't believe how many people ask such stupid questions about strings.

There obviously arn't any strings that are made specifically for certain genres of music.

As long as they hold the tuning that you use and they feel comfortable in your hands, you can use them for any type of music. The only person that can tell you that is you.

It's like going to a forum and asking which underpants are suitable for wearing on thursdays.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Try DR strings. Theyre coated and have a nice feel to them maybe try 9 - 46 or 10 - 46 depending on how your guitar is set up. Its all personal opinion in the end though.
Quote by FuzzLove

There obviously arn't any strings that are made specifically for certain genres of music.

As long as they hold the tuning that you use and they feel comfortable in your hands, you can use them for any type of music. The only person that can tell you that is you.

It's like going to a forum and asking which underpants are suitable for wearing on thursdays.

So I'm assuming heavier gauge strings are pefect for pop music? It's rather me saying I play this type of music and does anyone who plays that similar style have any suggestions of good strings for that type of music.
Quote by connorhxcchaos
Try DR strings. Theyre coated and have a nice feel to them maybe try 9 - 46 or 10 - 46 depending on how your guitar is set up. Its all personal opinion in the end though.

Any suggestions on specific DR strings?
It's not about that though, it's about which strings feel and sound right to you personally.

If someone felt more comfortable using heavier strings for pop music, that'd be fine. The only reason that most people don't use them is because they don't need to downtune for pop music. Just like lighter strings probably wouldn't sound too good tuned down really low, or even hold the tuning.

You didn't even state which tuning you use.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
It's not about that though, it's about which strings feel and sound right to you personally.

If someone felt more comfortable using heavier strings for pop music, that'd be fine. The only reason that most people don't use them is because they don't need to downtune for pop music. Just like lighter strings probably wouldn't sound too good tuned down really low, or even hold the tuning.

You didn't even state which tuning you use.

I stated in the first post that I use Drop C Tuning.
Oh yeah :P
haha.

Drop C, standard gauge strings for that tuning would be 12s/13s.

Brand is really a personal preference though.
Personally, I'd go for a more consistent gauge as opposed to one of the bottom heavy sets, when I played those I found the high strings to be loose. I find that the tighter the stringers the more condusive they are to faster playing. I'd string your guitar up with atleast 12s maybe even 13s. I use 11s on my guitars and I find those to be far to loose when tunning down to D standard. You could also look into buying a couple packs of strings to make a custom set (i.e. a gauge lower for your lowest string since you want to play drop tunings).
Quote by FuzzLove

Blue ones, preferably cotton, but synthetic is okay.

edit: also, try using light flatwounds for tech death. No workey.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Last edited by Kanthras at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by brad777no
haha I don't hate Yngwie Malmsteen I just prefer baroque over malmsteen.

You do realize that Beethoven and Chopin are not even remotely Baroque, right?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30