Normally sit on the couch and just watch some movies and do 1234 etc up and down the neck or 134, 124 etc,

But what are some others i can work on for my alt picking or whatever?

Any other sorta pattern i can try?
I wouldn't do any exercises while watching TV or movies, as you won't be concentrating on what your doing, and may well be doing something wrong, and could easily develop bad habits.
1212321234321234. Do that. Start from first fret of the low E string and after every repeat do it somewhere else on the neck. Very simple, very effective (for me atleast...)
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Quote by robhc
I wouldn't do any exercises while watching TV or movies, as you won't be concentrating on what your doing, and may well be doing something wrong, and could easily develop bad habits.

I just mean during ad breaks or whatever I'll stop watching and just focus on the guitar then when it comes back i go back to watching it.
well it's better to first get the exercise down in your muscle memory, doing it the CORRECT way. so put off the tv, focus and concentrate to see that there's no tension in your hands, your posture is good, etc. and then once you can do the exercise mindlessly, yet correctly, THEN you can put the tv on and just start training for speed or whatever.
put your hand on the chair, table, or couch and just lift the fingers that would be on the fretboard but keep your thumb down like this for example

1-3,2-4
1-4,2-3

and pick up the speed and lift your fingers higher every time when it seems to smallest bit easier
Quote by bigE3
put your hand on the chair, table, or couch and just lift the fingers that would be on the fretboard but keep your thumb down like this for example

1-3,2-4
1-4,2-3

and pick up the speed and lift your fingers higher every time when it seems to smallest bit easier

Ahh yess, i remember doing this all the time during school XD

^this is an effective meathod, and no guitar needed
-
Schecter ftw
C1+
-
I hate the spider riff, it's too impractical, only good for co-ordination. Try something like repeating:
----------7-------
-7-9-10---10-9-

or

----------7-9-10-
-7-9-10----------

Practice on all string sets with scalar variations like 7-8-10 and 7-9-11, strictly alternate picking. This will massively help your right hand, and these exercises form the basis of loads of Paul Gilbert style shred licks