Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
u can use the atomic reactor but you can use other tube power amps as well for variety.
It depends on how you want to use the axe. if you want to depend on it solely and have it model everything you need a clean power amp with really flat speakers in a cab that's not going to color the sound.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
'Twer me I'd get the wedge "combo". You only need it for monitoring. What could be better than a valve power amp built into a wedge for that purpose?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah but aren't you going to run it to FOH by plugging straight into the PA? The power amp is just there for you to hear on stage so you don't have to rely on the sound guy giving you a decent foldback (and for Ted Nugent feedback work ). That's the normal procedure.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
DOOOOOD.

it's an axe-fx. it's not a stereo amp. i don't think it's tube. i think it's a modeler. i think you run it into a p.a. I don't think you need a guitar cab.
The Axe-FX is a modelling unit that works as a preamp and a fine one at that. If you want to use it like a regular amp, you need a power amp and cabinet. Fractal also makes the Atomic Reactors as a companion unit so that you can just get your snax on with that, which you know comes in the little amp power blocky dooder or in a combined power amp and speaker cabinet, which these people are suggesting (i.e. the wedge suggestion). Those speakers are specifically voiced to be faithful to the Axe-FX and provide a fuller frequency response than your average guitar cabs blah blah blah marketing.

The other (non-regular amp) option is going from the Axe-FX straight to a PA system when playing out. That's what the others are referencing.
Squier VM Jazzmaster
Superfuzz/ RAT/ OCD /DE7/ Spring Chicken/ DL-4
Vox AC15C1/ Ampeg Jet 12T/ Guitar Rig
Okay, IIRC it can be used as just a preamp and coupled with a poweramp and cab. It also has poweramp/cab modelling so you can also plug it into a PA.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
you must ask yourself, which is a more natural sound?

Pa? or cab/with power tubes?

I think its well established, you dont NEED a cab and powertubes to make sound, but will the signal be tastier earcandy that way?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
The other thing is do research on the fractal forums, they have a large dedicated user base, you'll get more help there than here.
Guitars
Amps
if you run it with a cab you'll need a power amp.
you said the fractal monoblock. that's a nice amp. It's designed more like a hi-fi amp then a guitar amp. It's not mean to break up. You run it into a atomic cab that has a flat response.

so...option one: modeling + flat response cab.
The axefx acts as a preamp the monoblock amp amplifies it and the cab puts it out. This is good for recording, smaller gigs and what not. You'll need to mic up for larger gigs though. You do not want that monoblock going into powertube distortion...you do not want the reactor cab going into speaker distortion: from the fractal website
-- "Both the active and the passive versions employ a high efficiency speaker system with a ported 12-ply marine grade birch plywood cabinet, a 12" speaker, a 1" tweeter/4" horn, and a crossover network." ---

That's a hifi speaker. 12 inch speaker with a 1 inch tweeter and 4 inch horn. That thing is built for a perfectly flat eq response.

2. You can run the axe like a preamp into a tube power amp. VHT, Mesa, Engl etc
-- http://fryette.com/poweramps.html
-- http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Stereo_Power/stereo2-100/stereo2-100.html
Those power amps are set up like guitar amps output sections. They will distort and you want them too or not. Up to you. You run those into a guitar cab. You mic that ish up.

3. Into the P.A. - The axe has a full suite of cab and speaker emulations that you use to run straight into the p.a.

so uh ya.

Btw...not to be an ass but if you know so little about gear the axe is going to gently caress the **** out of you. This isn't sea world, it's as real as it gets. It's not my first stompbox. you actually have to dial that shit in with your brain.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror

Btw...not true to be an ass but if you know so little about gear the axe is going to gently caress the **** out of you. This isn't sea world, it's as real as it gets. It's not my first stompbox. you actually have to dial that shit in with your brain.

Even though he came of like an asshole AM's right. This is heavy shit man and you wouldn't be the first person to be so overwhelmed by the axe-fx's crazy programability that they couldn't use it to anywhere near it's full potential. Something to consider.
Quote by spitonastranger
Even though he came of like an asshole AM's right. This is heavy shit man and you wouldn't be the first person to be so overwhelmed by the axe-fx's crazy programability that they couldn't use it to anywhere near it's full potential. Something to consider.

dooooooood. i said not to be .....
doooooood.
Quote by slayerfrk
so what cabinet should i get so that one wont fry the other due to ohms not matching?

It depends on whether you're getting a poweramp or something like the Atomic Reactor cab. If you go for the Atomic Reactor (Better option IMO, a lot more versatile than using a poweramp/guitar cab) If you get a poweramp you'll need to get a cab or cabs that will be able to match impedances with that poweramp, and it depends on what outputs the poweramp has.
Why not just go for the active FR cabs, they're just a cab with the Powerblock built in rather than being a separate piece.
Quote by slayerfrk
so what cabinet should i get so that one wont fry the other due to ohms not matching?

dude have you listened to anything that's been written in this thread.

How are you going to be using your axe fx.
From what I understand of the Unit, it's got stellar on board power amp and speaker emulations. All guitar power amps and speakers color your tone, so the best way to get this sound to your ears is a flat response power amp and speaker.

I would actually buy PA equipment. It's cheaper, and will add no noticable coloration to the tone from the Axe-FX.

One option:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-SRM450-v2-Active-Speaker-Black?sku=485391
I still say get the Atomic Reactor wedge. Just what you need for gigging and ample on it's own for rehearsal.

FOH = Front Of House (ie. the audience)

To those saying a valve power amp will sound better than the PA. I of course agree with you. If they weren't so ridiculously large I'd use a valve PA too. If one has decided to go the AxeFX route then one can be assumed to have accepted the whole modelling premise. In that case wouldn't one want to use the power amp/speaker modelling as well? I'd never use the modelling stuff myself, I think it's a complex solution to a non-existant problem but I am trying to help the TS enter the whole geeky modelling world. I am trying to level him up in a game I personally have no desire to play myself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
I still say get the Atomic Reactor wedge. Just what you need for gigging and ample on it's own for rehearsal.

FOH = Front Of House (ie. the audience)

To those saying a valve power amp will sound better than the PA. I of course agree with you. If they weren't so ridiculously large I'd use a valve PA too. If one has decided to go the AxeFX route then one can be assumed to have accepted the whole modelling premise. In that case wouldn't one want to use the power amp/speaker modelling as well? I'd never use the modelling stuff myself, I think it's a complex solution to a non-existant problem but I am trying to help the TS enter the whole geeky modelling world. I am trying to level him up in a game I personally have no desire to play myself.

did you figure out that all my gear purchases have been intense monk like training for the axe fx. I'll be able to conjure pure dreams out of it's many buttoned panels. Onlookers will cry out in wonder. A golden age will ensue.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
In that case wouldn't one want to use the power amp/speaker modelling as well?

Thats exactly what I was thinking, you could get a lot more versatility with the power amp and cab modelling rather than just being stuck with a single power amp and cab.
Quote by AcousticMirror
did you figure out that all my gear purchases have been intense monk like training for the axe fx. I'll be able to conjure pure dreams out of it's many buttoned panels. Onlookers will cry out in wonder. A golden age will ensue.

I like to play on the edge of breakup so there is noticeably more distortion when I dig in. Why my JCM900 was never promoted from backup amp to main amp was that it didn't have enough dynamics for me, it just doesn't talk to you like it should. OK for punk but punk has never been known for it's playing finesse.
Even if you could conjure something that sounded like pure SLO or Dumble to the listener, until it feels the same to the player I aint interested. If others want to use it I got no problems, they do sound ok, especially as far as the dullards in the audience can tell..
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I like to play on the edge of breakup so there is noticeably more distortion when I dig in. Why my JCM900 was never promoted from backup amp to main amp was that it didn't have enough dynamics for me, it just doesn't talk to you like it should. OK for punk but punk has never been known for it's playing finesse.
Even if you could conjure something that sounded like pure SLO or Dumble to the listener, until it feels the same to the player I aint interested. If others want to use it I got no problems, they do sound ok, especially as far as the dullards in the audience can tell..

actually I was doing some more research on these and you can program patches that you upload that macro vst's and effects.

So....the slo's got a slave out. can't wait to do stereo slo + irish flute attached to a piano falling down stairs.
Quote by AcousticMirror
So....the slo's got a slave out. can't wait to do stereo slo + irish flute attached to a piano falling down stairs.

You do actually realise that you're insane don't you?

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification