Quote by CoreysMonster
Malmsteen has his own DOD Signature Distortion pedal, might wanna look that one up.

this tbh, any distortion pedal will be good enough.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Loomis works off of amp distortion mainly, you won't be able to get his tone with a pedal.
Get a DOD YJM308 Overdrive, DOD 250 Overdrive, or a 'gray spec' 250 clone to get started into the direction of achieving the Malmsteen type tone. I reverse engineered and built my own clone of a gray 1979 version:

You'll also probably need a noise suppressor (pick brand of your choice) setup like this especially if you use a single coil Strat type guitar:

Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by Yngwie#1
Get a DOD YJM308 Overdrive, DOD 250 Overdrive, or a 'gray spec' 250 clone to get started into the direction of achieving the Malmsteen type tone. I reverse engineered and built my own clone of a gray 1979 version:

You'll also probably need a noise suppressor (pick brand of your choice) setup like this especially if you use a single coil Strat type guitar:

Wait... you made that pedal? Do you sell them? Cause it definitely looks like you should be.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by ChrisBW
Wait... you made that pedal? Do you sell them? Cause it definitely looks like you should be.

Yep I made it (actually 2 of them) after months of research and learning how to build my first clone pedal. I used ExpressPCB to design my own original circuit board layout pattern that still preserves how the original gray PCB parts were connected to each other. Maybe people say it is good enough to sell but when I finished around the end of May 2010 and made the mistake of thinking out loud to explore the possibilities of selling them in an affordable way (with a low profit) I literally got raped over my 'supposed intentions' all along (for using others knowledge and help) to profit from this according to the vocal minority who started piling on with negativity on several other forums to start trouble about me with others. It was very upsetting and totally turned me off which is unfortunate for the ones who would have also enjoyed the exact 70's tone of the classic gray 250. I mentioned that I built two of these. My first one was given to neoclassical guitarist Dean Cascione who liked it enough to start recording all his lead parts using it for his second album coming out this fall, but he insisted on reimbursing me for the material build cost. I guess I did good based on the compliments he gave me, which was another thing that offended some in the DIY pedal building community who took his words out of context and falsely implied I was saying mine was better than anyone else's 250 clone. I never said anything like that other than it is built to the exact 'gray specs' using the same part values as the original plus with some adding styling! Whoever listens to it can decide if they like it or not. Anyway, here's a gut shot of the insides too:

Maybe I should change my mind and build a few more for a very reasonable price. I don't know what it would be worth though.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Jul 16, 2010,