Page 1 of 4
Today, in a debate lesson of English we discussed the issue of overpopulation and an ever growing world population. Bare in mind that this is an extension English class - so we're supposed to be the group for straight A* students, the smartest students in the school.

Shockingly, most people in my class believe in some form of eugenics. One person said that money should be cut from the NHS and people shouldn't get any jobseekers allowance etc. so that only the fittest will survive (he called this natural selection yet I'm certain this classifies as artificial selection).

Another said that we should just force people of intelligence lower than 100 to be sterilised, who is amusingly (by grades) the least intelligent person in the class

Some people believed that people should be 'put down' when they choose to retire.

Ofcourse there were the people who believed we should nuke some country and send people there to stop overcrowding. By this point I gave up on trying to point out scientific reasons why this wouldn't work.

I was genuinely shocked* that the most intelligent (again, by grades) pupils in the school think that this is a perfectly okay and reasonable way to solve a problem, especially when half of them claim to be centre left on the political scale.

(*two of them don't surprise me as they probably just wanted attention by being controversial )

Then there was a group of us who say that the best way to tackle it, whilst still not perfectly fair, would be a two child policy, of which you could perhaps give in for some reward to the government to be redistributed to people who can prove they deserve an extra child or two. EDIT: this is only if we genuinely did have overpopulation, not a preventative method.

If the population of the earth does approach near overpopulation, how would you try to solve or prevent it?

Quote by zippidyduda
Does anyone here actually understand what overpopulation is?

Yes, we have the land to house more people. However, we do not have the resources (fresh water, gasoline, food, etc.) to support our growing number of people.

The problem isn't how many people we have now (well, the major problem isn't)- it is how quickly our world population is growing. We will hit 10.5 billion in 2050. Our planet simply cannot support that many people.

Yes, it is a problem. No, it isn't xenophobic to recognize that problem, as all races, nations and ethnicities are effected by the population problem.

There are only 2 things we can do- maximize our utilization of resources, or minimize our population growth. We should be doing both of those things.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Last edited by metallicafan616 at Jul 16, 2010,
Isn't it already overpopulated?
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by padgea7x

In some places yes, but in others there aren't. I think that if people were evenly distributed it wouldn't seem overpopulated.

I think people who suggest eugenics should off themselves since they are clearly having problems with the 'overpopulation' so much. I don't really want to tell people what they should do when it comes to having kids, but maybe having like 1-2 kids per family isnt that bad.

Anyways, we're probably hundreds of years away from being overpopulated. The fear of overpopulation is mainly xenophobic scaremongering not based in reality.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I think people who suggest eugenics should off themselves since they are clearly having problems with the 'overpopulation' so much. I don't really want to tell people what they should do when it comes to having kids, but maybe having like 1-2 kids per family isnt that bad.

Anyways, we're probably hundreds of years away from being overpopulated. The fear of overpopulation is mainly xenophobic scaremongering not based in reality.

That's my general view on it too. But because lots of families in poor countries have lots of children which are actually starting to survive the population is growing exponentially.

EDIT: ^ isn't that....what I said in the quote?

but i agree with most of those ppl.

Whats wrong with ridding idiots and sending ppl away?
(note: id send them away to the area and nuke the area periodically)
((itll be a wasteland, no intended purpose for life)))

Quote by Kensai
The fear of overpopulation is mainly xenuphobic scaremongering not based in reality.

icwutudidthar
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by metallicafan616
EDIT: ^ isn't that....what I said in the quote?

I quoted the wrong person by accident, you got in before me and I thought it was the previos person, sorry. I edited.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jul 16, 2010,
Free condoms for everyone.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
but i agree with most of those ppl.

Whats wrong with ridding idiots and sending ppl away?
(note: id send them away to the area and nuke the area periodically)
((itll be a wasteland, no intended purpose for life)))

What would your criteria be? why shouldn't you be killed, because we may be able to do better without you.

EDIT: vogel, I was been confused by that
poster above, I'd say that is what keeps the population in developed countries not overpopulated.

Last edited by metallicafan616 at Jul 16, 2010,
You can all come to Canada; we have plenty of room here.
Who wrote the blood and water chapter anyway? Probably some surly dad, only child, thirty cats.
Quote by Kensai
I think people who suggest eugenics should off themselves since they are clearly having problems with the 'overpopulation' so much.

Eugenics is selective breeding. I think you are confusing it with culling - although it seems to me that those other people were as well. Culling is like the opposite of eugenics in some ways. In eugenics you match up desirables, in culling you remove undesirables.

EDIT: This is a very common misconception. Unfortunately in some places, and at some times, people have tried to use culling as a method for eugenics. Doesn't really work, on top of being just wrong.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by metallicafan616
What would your criteria be? why shouldn't you be killed, because we may be able to do better without you.

Because i got the brains

plus, why debate? its obvious punching and kicking is the more fun way to do it these days.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by padgea7x

No.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Quote by Kensai

the apocalypse has been for thousands of years

we can only blame ourselves for this anyway, the more we try to benefit our lives the more we're screwing things up, everything has it's costs and we gotta deal with it. I have no idea how we're going to approach this problem but i'm sure the 1-2 kid thing might happen
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Last edited by bass-man9712 at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by Deadlock Riff
Because i got the brains

plus, why debate? its obvious punching and kicking is the more fun way to do it these days.

I think that's debatable. Afterall, by IQ, I seriously doubt your in the top 99.9999% of people - so perhaps you should be killed.

Quote by jfreyvogel
Eugenics is selective breeding. I think you are confusing it with culling - although it seems to me that those other people were as well. Culling is like the opposite of eugenics in some ways. In eugenics you match up desirables, in culling you remove undesirables.

They're kind of interlinked in that many eugenics movements wanted people to be culled to cleanse the gene pool.

Quote by Kensai

They say the world will be over populated when it has around 9-10 billion. We are currently a little over the 6billion mark. It's will be a long while before we are over populated, and by that time I'm sure we'll have figured something out to deal with the problem.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Duh. Just learn how to hold your breath for longer. Loads of room.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
Isn't there thousands of miles of unpopulated land? How is there overpopulation? I understand that we have it in some areas, but srsly?

EDIT: Wait did you say your extensions class was all A+ students?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by metallicafan616
They're kind of interlinked in that many eugenics movements wanted people to be culled to cleanse the gene pool.

I keep editing too late I pre-responded to this idea in an edit in my previous post.
Quote by metallicafan616
I think that's debatable. Afterall, by IQ, I seriously doubt your in the top 99.9999% of people - so perhaps you should be killed.

Oh ho ho *chuckles like an ol' bastard* don't be so sure of that mate.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by needler420
Genocide id pick my least fav race and wipe em out

Be careful not to pick the idiot race as you would kill yourself.

Quote by padgea7x

I want to sig this.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by padgea7x

nah jews and Native Americans get a free pass they already had there turn for ultimate Genocide its time to select a new group. In fact we can place a world vote what ever the out come
Last edited by needler420 at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by offthewall91

They say the world will be over populated when it has around 9-10 billion. We are currently a little over the 6billion mark. It's will be a long while before we are over populated, and by that time I'm sure we'll have figured something out to deal with the problem.

We are nearly 7000 millions already
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by damian_91

Another 2 Billion people is still going to take a long time

EDIT: And to the guy saying Genocide is the option. Thats not even funny, you realize there is Genocide occuring right now in Darfur?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
I want to sig this.

Please Don't.

Quote by needler420
nah jews and Native Americans get a free pass they already had there turn for ultimate Genocide its time to select a new group.

OMG! U R SRSLY TEH FUNNE!

Quote by damian_91

Over 100 million people before we even hit 7 billion.

World population currently: 6,856,296,982

EDIT: To the dude who is saying Genocide. Why do I get the feeling you don't fully understand what that means?
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Last edited by offthewall91 at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by diceksox1809

EDIT: And to the guy saying Genocide is the option. Thats not even funny, you realize there is Genocide occuring right now in Darfur?

I think the 9 billion mark is expected to be hit within 40 years.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Quote by Callum89
I think the 9 billion mark is expected to be hit within 40 years.

Assuming 2012 dosen't happen

But honestly, over 2 billion people in 40 years? What is the increase of population over the last 40?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by diceksox1809

No I'm to ignorant to pay attention and yeah that's a little un fair we have to vote on it for it to count. If my breed has to go then i have to go lol.
Quote by diceksox1809
Isn't there thousands of miles of unpopulated land? How is there overpopulation? I understand that we have it in some areas, but srsly?

im pretty sure that the main problem isnt lack land, but it is lack resources like food and water
i think a one child policy will most likely be put in place as a two child policy would only keep the population consistant. two children to replace two adults.
where as the 1 child policy would reduce population. one child to replace two adults.
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
Quote by diceksox1809

But honestly, over 2 billion people in 40 years? What is the increase of population over the last 40?

Fixed

The population hit 6 Billion in 1999 we aren't even at 7billion 11 years later if that gives you any idea.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Quote by diceksox1809

But honestly, over 2 million people in 40 years? What is the increase of population over the last 40?

Billions, not millions. What you call billions is what I call 1000 millions, but yeah, billions.
Quote by offthewall91
Fixed

The population hit 6 Billion in 1999 we aren't even at 7billion 11 years later if that gives you any idea.

But it's an exponential growth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malthusian_growth_model
There was a compound formula including certain parameters which make it far more accurate than that but I can't really find it.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Last edited by damian_91 at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by offthewall91
Fixed

Woops haha thanks.

Okay, so maybe the 9 billion mark in 40 years could be accurate, because I expect the number to rise even more.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Page 1 of 4