I was restringing my mom's 30-year-old Ovation Matrix acoustic last night when the nut fell off, which pretty much told me I should look into buying an acoustic of my own. However, while I know alot about amps and electrics, I'm almost clueless when it comes to acoustics. Price range is about $600, and I can buy used or new. I like the feel of Ovations and Takamines since they feel less...boxy, so to speak, but I've heard that they aren't nearly as resonant or deep as, say, a Guild or Taylor acoustic. Also, a plain acoustic guitar is fine, but I could also go for an acoustic-electric. Any suggestions?
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
I have a Yamaha APX-500 Electric Acoustic. It's 3/4 full size, but it sounds great and it has 3-band equalizer/tuner/gain control on it as well. I've been playing it for about 3 months now and it's by far the best guitar I've ever played, exceptions being the higher-end Martins. It ran me about $300 at Guitar Center, and then you can get the special case designed for it *which is amazing also, btw* as well. Well within your price range. I'd suggest at least checking it out if you're gonna hit a store sometime soon.
You should find a nice selection of solid wood top acoustics in that price range. I am partial to Seagull myself, but there are others too look at too.
I'm in the same situation. I keep playing my mom's old Mann acoustic (which she hasn't touched in ages, but it's a POS anyways), and I recently broke a machine head while tuning the guitar. So now I'm replacing the tuners, and will start shopping for a decent quality acoustic of my own.

I think I'd rather an electric-acoustic so I can play it on stage, and not have the "hassle" of adding electronics later.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by Solrac kai
You should find a nice selection of solid wood top acoustics in that price range. I am partial to Seagull myself, but there are others too look at too.

I'll definitely have to look into those, I've heard good things about Seagull but never had the opportunity to test one. I'm a bit curious; since I may end up doing some live playing, do you know if there's a certain tonal difference between acoustic-electrics and regular acoustics?
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
I played some Great Divide guitas today and I liked them, you should check them out.
Also Blueridge, Recording King, Seagull, and Takamine.
You should eaisly find a all soild wood for that budget.

@ Rocker_94: You can get a passive soundhole pickup, they just slide under the strings and you tighten it into the sound hole, no drilling or anything
Last edited by Silent_Crow13 at Jul 16, 2010,
for $600, there are a few brands you could get all solid wood from depending on where you get your guitar. i'd suggest blueridge, seagull, the guild GAD series and recording kind as the best sounding in that price range. if you go used, you might want to check out larrivee, as well.
^I love my larrivee. It would definitely be worth it to check out some used ones.

However, the nut falling out isn't really a problem at all. Just put it back in place and when you string your guitar the strings will hold it in.

No real reason to buy a new guitar. But then again I don't usually need a reason to shop for guitars either.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It