Hi guys,

You know that effect that a lot of people use on their mic, so that you could still hear the vocals clearly, but there's a slight overdriven effect in the background if you hold a note? Almost like the micropone is in pain or something. How would I go about doing that, does anyone know?

Could I just use a guitar overdrive pedal between the mic and it's amp/PA or would that not be a good idea? I'm not really experienced in setting up vocals mics and stuff.

Any help welcome, cheers

Fuzz

X
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I tried using brootals with vocals with my RP70, was horrible but kinda funny. Iono vocals are just like drums, they just are best when clean. you can use any guitar pedal really...
Quote by KaFuCh

I <3 muse... and i would guess it's what TS means
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by KaFuCh

Exactly like that, how do I do that?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I don't know for sure...but my best guess is just clip it to pieces. Keep on clipping until it sounds how you want. You could achieve a similar sound from absolutely smashing them with a compressor with something like a 20:1 ratio...effectively brickwalling them.

Although like I said, I don't know, but I would start with these and if they don't work keep looking.
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Basically by putting more volume into the mic than it want's to take, it's called clipping. Jack White has a tendency to do it to, I've always liked the sound of it. If you're too close to a mic, or just scream from too close, it'll clip (at least that's my experience in recording with cheap gear). Hope that'll help.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.