Page 1 of 2
OK so its just a matter of opinion really im just wondering what u call it???

pinch harmonic
OR
pitch harmonic
i've never really seen or heard anyone call it a "pitch" harmonic...
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by rickysolima
OK so its just a matter of opinion really im just wondering what u call it???

pinch harmonic
OR
pitch harmonic

pinches, or pinch harmonic.

I dont think its a matter of opinion.. thats what its called.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Im pretty sure that the proper word for it is pinch.
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
It's pinch harmonic you n00b, I have never seen/heared/etc anyone calling it pitch harmonic.

/thread
Quote by xaviergray
Asking the Pit to play this is kinda like asking the guy who makes suggestive gay jokes if he wants to have sex with a man.
Quote by Jøhnny
It's pinch harmonic you n00b, I have never seen/heared/etc anyone calling it pitch harmonic.

/thread

shush. no being mean.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
calm down some one just said pitch harmonic in modesto guitarcenter and i was like wtf.
no need to throw insults around just like everyone else with a IQ below 80.
and he was telling me he got it from his guitar teacher.
Quote by rickysolima
calm down some one just said pitch harmonic in modesto guitarcenter and i was like wtf.
no need to throw insults around just like everyone else with a IQ below 80.
and he was telling me he got it from his guitar teacher.

There's why right there.

Ive been told the Line 6 SS head was a better buy than the 6505+ head I was looking at once by a GC sales rep because I didnt have to worry about replacing tubes.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Jul 16, 2010,
"Pitch harmonic" doesn't even make sense. It's clearly only ever pinch.

Quote by Mitochondria9
There's why right there.

Ive been told the Line 6 SS head was a better buy than the 6505+ head I was looking at once by a GC sales rep because I didnt have to worry about replacing tubes.
Actually, that's a perfectly legitimate reason to go for a solid state amp.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
"Pitch harmonic" doesn't even make sense. It's clearly only ever pinch.

Actually, that's a perfectly legitimate reason to go for a solid state amp.

Albeit a weak one.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
There's why right there.

i mean im self tout myself, it just got me thinking you change the "pitch" of the note,but you also "pinch" the string.
so i was wondering if "pinch" just came in later as a replacement for "pitch"?
or perhaps pinch is some kind of ooo you can call it street term.
Quote by rickysolima
i mean im self tout myself, it just got me thinking you change the "pitch" of the note,but you also "pinch" the string.

I think you might be looking to deeply into it =p

Ive only ever heard it called a pinch harmonic.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
It's called pinch because of the method used to get the sound. Which, by the way, I thoroughly suck at.

While we're on the subject, how do you know where to employ the technique along the string? And whats the convention for showing them on guitar tabs?

I've only ever really messed around with them in conjuction with the whammy bar.
Quote by rickysolima

But don't non-pinch harmonics also change the pitch?
Quote by Concat
It's called pinch because of the method used to get the sound. Which, by the way, I thoroughly suck at.

While we're on the subject, how do you know where to employ the technique along the string? And whats the convention for showing them on guitar tabs?

I've only ever really messed around with them in conjuction with the whammy bar.

They happen where there are nodes on the string. When you change the length of the string by pressing down on a fret, you change where the nodes are on the string. Although they will always occur in relation to where they are with the string unfretted.

God... That made no sense at all.... MrFlibble, you wanna make that make sense for me?

Quote by Sir Anonymous

There really isn't any difference between natural harmonics and pinch harmonics. You can play natural harmonics the same way you play pinch harmonics, and you can play pinch harmonics the same as natural ones.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by Concat

Where is found by discovery, but 3rd fret on the G-string is the easiest to gain a harmonic off of.

On tablature its signified by "3*" for instance, meaning a pinch harmonic on the 3rd fret of whatever string its tabbed on.

Dont feel bad, after 2 years of solid playing, I *still* cannot pull off a pinch harmonic to save my life. Ive tried so many different techniques Ive found on youtube... and nothing.

Ive gotten it to where I can pull off a weak sounding harmonic, but bending the string doesnt really attain the desired sound.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Sir Anonymous

They do, but they are only found in the wild, that's why we call them natural.
Last edited by Concat at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by Concat
They do, but they are only found in the wild, that's why we call them natural.

I know most of the nodes for naturals and theyre pretty easy to obtain, but pinches still elude me =\
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
Where is found by discovery, but 3rd fret on the G-string is the easiest to gain a harmonic off of.

On tablature its signified by "3*" for instance, meaning a pinch harmonic on the 3rd fret of whatever string its tabbed on.

Dont feel bad, after 2 years of solid playing, I *still* cannot pull of a pinch harmonic to save my life. Ive tried so many different techniques Ive found on youtube... and nothing.

Ok you're confusing me. It sounds like you are talking about natural harmonics (i.e. tapping around the third fret to get the harmonic from the node located there).

Pinch harmonics are obtained by plucking the string, and with your strumming hand, immediately touching the string and you pass the pick through. This is usually down down where the pickups are... not way up by the 3rd fret.

Am I out to lunch???
Quote by Concat
Ok you're confusing me. It sounds like you are talking about natural harmonics (i.e. tapping around the third fret to get the harmonic from the node located there).

Pinch harmonics are obtained by plucking the string, and with your strumming hand, immediately touching the string and you pass the pick through. This is usually down down where the pickups are... not way up by the 3rd fret.

Am I out to lunch???

No, you can perform the harmonic with the fret..fretted to gain a different pitch to the harmonic, you can also peform a bend after the pinch harmonic to alter the sound, I can do the bend right, I just cant get the harmonic =(

Natural harmonics are plucking the string, and then barely touching the string along nodes on the fretboard with your left hand, 7th fret g string comes to mind, if Im not mistaken.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
And then there's tapped harmonics which is playing a note and then using your picking hand to tap the string lightly in certain places to cause a harmonic. That's the one I can never do.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
And then there's tapped harmonics which is playing a note and then using your picking hand to tap the string lightly in certain places to cause a harmonic. That's the one I can never do.

Ive done this accidentally a few times, I can never replicate it when I try.

I also pulled off two accidental pinch harmonics today while practicing.. but again, when I try.. no can do.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
No, you can perform the harmonic with the fret..fretted to gain a different pitch to the harmonic, you can also peform a bend after the pinch harmonic to alter the sound, I can do the bend right, I just cant get the harmonic =(

Natural harmonics are plucking the string, and then barely touching the string along nodes on the fretboard with your left hand, 7th fret g string comes to mind, if Im not mistaken.

Ok ok I gotcha. I was just mininterpreting what you said.

So, when I see 3*, thats fretted on the 3rd, and then you hit the pinch harmonic. But what good is that if you don't know which harmonic you're after, or where along the string you're suppose to "pinch" it?
Last edited by Concat at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by Mitochondria9
I know most of the nodes for naturals and theyre pretty easy to obtain, but pinches still elude me =\

They're exactly the same nodes, harmonics always occur at fractions of the vibrating string's length.

So, regardless of where you fret there's always harmonics halfway, third of the way, quarter of the way etc along the string, it's just that where they are will change when you fert because you're changing the length of the string that's free to vibrate
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by MrFlibble

In my experience you have to tap pretty firmly to get them to ring out....tapping the fret an octave above where you're fretting is always a dead cert.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I can't even find anything with google on how to denote a pinch harmonic in guitar tablature. I even looked up a Bad Horsie tab, and that didn't help.
Quote by Concat
I can't even find anything with google on how to denote a pinch harmonic in guitar tablature. I even looked up a Bad Horsie tab, and that didn't help.

Its usually an asterisk after the signified node, so on a tab it would look like 5* or somesuch
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by steven seagull
In my experience you have to tap pretty firmly to get them to ring out....tapping the fret an octave above where you're fretting is always a dead cert.

And quickly, you need to pull off real quick so the string doesn't get muted.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
lol getting nowhere here.

I get that. 5th fret, and a harmonic. But I can still get different harmonics on the same string, while fretting the same note. My question is how do I know which harmonic? Which "sweet spot" do I pick?

Oh and I did find this website, which is pretty comprehensive and goes through the theory:

http://www.igdb.co.uk/pages/techniques/harmonics.htm

But I'm still struggling with the notation for pinch harmonics. Artificials and tapped make sense because it's always 12 half-steps above the fretted note. Naturals are self explanatory... but pinch? dkgjigjaijg!
Quote by Concat

I get that. 5th fret, and a harmonic. But I can still get different harmonics on the same string, while fretting the same note. My question is how do I know which harmonic? Which "sweet spot" do I pick?

Oh and I did find this website, which is pretty comprehensive and goes through the theory:

But I'm still struggling with the notation for pinch harmonics. Artificials and tapped make sense because it's always 12 half-steps above the fretted note. Naturals are self explanatory... but pinch? dkgjigjaijg!

The "sweet" spot youre talking about picking varies, its best to check along the string. On my Ibanez before I put the D-Sonic in, the sweet spot was on top of the bridge pickup, now with the D-Sonic, its in front of the bridge pickup.

All harmonics have the same nodes, "pinches" are just a way theyre played AFAIK.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Ok ok, so it's almost always the first sweet spot you encounter from the bridge? Because there are multiple nodes (sweet spots) to be found...

eg. Fret the fifth, hit the first pinch harmonic...
Quote by Concat
Ok ok, so it's almost always the first sweet spot you encounter from the bridge? Because there are multiple nodes (sweet spots) to be found...

eg. Fret the fifth, hit the first pinch harmonic...

Nodes and "sweet" spot are two different things.

Nodes change the pitch of the harmonic, the sweet spot is the best place along any given string to produce said harmonic.

Nodes are static, the sweet spot differs from guitar setup to guitar setup.

The sweet spot is easier to find with more gain.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
I thought that pinch harmonics were employed at a node just like any other harmonic. That's why you have to brush the string with your finger while you pick. It's physics... I didn't think it was specific to the guitar set up.

I don't understand how you can get a harmonic to sound out without using a node. Or rather, I don't understand how you can cancel out all other string vibrations except that which is caused by a harmonic unless you touch/brush by a node.

And the nodes along the string change location depending on which fret you're pressing down.
Quote by Concat
I thought that pinch harmonics were employed at a node just like any other harmonic. That's why you have to brush the string with your finger while you pick. It's physics... I didn't think it was specific to the guitar set up.

I don't understand how you can get a harmonic to sound out without using a node. Or rather, I don't understand how you can cancel out all other string vibrations except that which is caused by a harmonic unless you touch/brush by a node.

And the nodes along the string change location depending on which fret you're pressing down.

No, the nodes are the FRETs, the sweet spot is the place you pick the string on the bridge to produce the harmonic. Youre confusing the two.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
No, the nodes are the FRETs, the sweet spot is the place you pick the string on the bridge to produce the harmonic. Youre confusing the two.

I don't get it. lol. I mean I get what you're saying, but I'm a nerd and need to know the science behind the sound.

I sense a googling session coming on.

Thanks tho Mito!
Quote by MrFlibble

is that the bs little Van Halen thing i could never figure out how to do thoes i can do pinch harmonics, natural harmonics, dime squeels but i never figured out how to do thoes ones
Quote by Concat

There is no one "sweet spot". It's different for every gutiar. On mine, it's usually on top of or in front of the neck pickup. But Mitochondria9's is near the bridge pickup.

You just have to pinch all around your picking area to find where it works.

Also, for me, youtube videos don't help a whole lot... They taught me the concept behind it, but I cannot do it the way that they do it. My technique for many things is different that it's taught, or "supposed to be", but it works. You just kind of have to... play until you figure out what works for you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Page 1 of 2