so heres the thing...i noticed that i always sound better when im playing with a multi fx unit/modelling amp, the tone is much clearer and theres less noise, as opposed to when i play with my metal muff plugged into an amp,i get a more natural tone but more noise and less clarity
today i jammed with another guitarist who was using this new digitech multi effects pedal,the one that looks like a spaceship,my tone was like a filthy dog compared to his :-( it made me rethink my approach towards gear

UG, should i give it up and get a high end effects pedal or is there something i dont know that an get me a better tone like the one i seem to only get from multi fx pedals?
Quote by Alijonroth
so heres the thing...i noticed that i always sound better when im playing with a multi fx unit/modelling amp, the tone is much clearer and theres less noise, as opposed to when i play with my metal muff plugged into an amp,i get a more natural tone but more noise and less clarity
today i jammed with another guitarist who was using this new digitech multi effects pedal,the one that looks like a spaceship,my tone was like a filthy dog compared to his :-( it made me rethink my approach towards gear

UG, should i give it up and get a high end effects pedal or is there something i dont know that an get me a better tone like the one i seem to only get from multi fx pedals?

Whats your amp, and what was his?

If youre playing like a Marshall MG and he's got a Triple Rectifier... then all I have to say is.. "duh"
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
It takes less work to get a good tone from a multi fx pedal but you can get much better tones from a good valve amp and individual pedals with some work.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
also amps are important.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
also amps are important.

Pretty much, the Metal Muff is a good pedal, Id say your amp vs. his amp is the larger contributor.

Im not a fan of multi-effects pedals.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
well my amp was a 15watts solid state Roland spirit...i think its pretty old

his amp was starfire, an unknown asian brand...not supposed to be much better than mine

and btw i have a Crate V18 but i dont carry that around,yet i noticed the same problem when i used my metal muff with it,the tone is better but theres still quite some noise and its not as clear as the tone i heared from the guy today!
Quote by Alijonroth
well my amp was a 15watts solid state Roland spirit...i think its pretty old

his amp was starfire, an unknown asian brand...not supposed to be much better than mine

and btw i have a Crate V18 but i dont carry that around,yet i noticed the same problem when i used my metal muff with it,the tone is better but theres still quite some noise and its not as clear as the tone i heared from the guy today!

From what I can find, the Stafire is a low wattage tube amp, which would explain the tone quality being better, I have a 15w Roland, and while its good for what it is, the tone is by no means stellar.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
From what I can find, the Stafire is a low wattage tube amp, which would explain the tone quality being better, I have a 15w Roland, and while its good for what it is, the tone is by no means stellar.

no im pretty sure the starfire is a solid state crap amp,ive tried them all
i dont think its about the amp
Quote by Alijonroth
no im pretty sure the starfire is a solid state crap amp,ive tried them all
i dont think its about the amp

*shrug* Then I dont know why without speculating.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
well..i only use a metal muff and no other pedals,any other pedals i need that would improve the sound and clarity?
i mean i got the distortion...what is it that the multi effects pedal has that make the tone better and more clear/less noisy?
Quote by Alijonroth
well..i only use a metal muff and no other pedals,any other pedals i need that would improve the sound and clarity?
i mean i got the distortion...what is it that the multi effects pedal has that make the tone better and more clear/less noisy?

Theres so many things that can cause noise.. but noise gates help eliminate some of that stuff.

Whether your friend's multi-effect had it... I dunno.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
i have a zoom G2X it ran about 200$ and it makes my marshall puts out a clearer tone but it takes time to make the settings the way you want.
Quote by --{matt}--
Try a noise gate and compressor maybe?

mmm,could you please give me details on how they work and what they do,do they exist in multi effects pedals?
digital signal from your multi fx is just a series of 1s and 0s (square wave) with nothing in between a analogue signal when plotted on the same graph will start at zero and gradually rise to 1 and back to zero stopping at all points in between (sine wave).
Quote by ibanezgod1973
digital signal from your multi fx is just a series of 1s and 0s (square wave) with nothing in between a analogue signal when plotted on the same graph will start at zero and gradually rise to 1 and back to zero stopping at all points in between (sine wave).

and thats a bad thing?
Quote by ibanezgod1973

Dude, get your facts straight.
you plot a sine wave with binary code, you don't actually send out a square wave.

Believe me, if the processor and source code you use to process the signal is good enough, not even pro artists have been able to tell the difference. We're talking 2 grand for solid states like that though.

The reason most tube amps is better is because you get a "proper" sine wave naturally,
and because of this it's easier to get a great sound for cheap, while solid states don't get really good before you put a lot of cash into them.
real life is real - digital is ones and zeros

no matter what ones and zeros won't be real. there's an absolute difference between analog and digital.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam