Sometimes my index finger and my middle finger will play two frets apart, like my index plays fret fumber 5 and my ring plays 7. I don't ALWAYS do that. But other times, I use the one finger per fret rule. This has been happening more and more often, and I'm not sure what to stick with; My original way or the one finger per fret way. Some fast riffs I always play became sloppy ever since I started to pick up this "rule", because I had been comfortable with the way i played it before. Now, out of habit, I finger the frets with the fingers I didn't practice them with. And my pinky sucks ass. If I stick to the ''One finger per fret rule'', will I have to re-practice riffs like I had just learned them? (Practicing slowly to a metronome)?
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavy Vypyr amp

Been Playing Every day since July 30th, 2009.
No lessons, only the ones provided here at Ultimate Guitar.
Last edited by JakeIsInsane at Jul 18, 2010,
I would say you should stick to the "1 finger per fret" rule unless you're doing a stretch; that's how I do it anyway. What I mean by doing a stretch is playing frets 3-5-7 on the E string where you would use your index, middle and pinky ... which would break the 1 finger per fret rule
Last edited by porcupinetree52 at Jul 16, 2010,
Sometimes my index finger and my middle finger will play two frets apart, like my index plays fret fumber 5 and my ring plays 7. I don't ALWAYS do that. But other times, I use the one finger per fret rule.

Just to clear this up, using index-ring on 5-7 IS usually correct finger-per-fret. The only time that should be index-middle is if you're going 5-7-9 or 5-7-10 etc.

And finger per fret is a useful guideline, not a rule. Certain licks will always be more comfortable with different fingerings.
Quote by Freepower

Just to clear this up, using index-ring on 5-7 IS usually correct finger-per-fret. The only time that should be index-middle is if you're going 5-7-9 or 5-7-10 etc.

And finger per fret is a useful guideline, not a rule. Certain licks will always be more comfortable with different fingerings.

Oh, I meant to say my index and my middle.
But thanks anyway for clearing that up.

But that doesnt really answer my final question completely.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavy Vypyr amp

Been Playing Every day since July 30th, 2009.
No lessons, only the ones provided here at Ultimate Guitar.
Last edited by JakeIsInsane at Jul 19, 2010,