She is amazing, and in her new video you get to see her phat ass too, so I would hit that too. But yeah she is a modern day soul legend, deserves a thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hVp47f5YZg

The video with dat ass dat won't quit.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
She sounds nice, but I think the video is uncalled for, considering where she's shooting it.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Seriously, "soul legend"??? Yeah right.
And that video is garbage, IMO.
Quote by medic24
Seriously, "soul legend"??? Yeah right.
And that video is garbage, IMO.

Yes, "Legend" I think you're the only person I have seen dispute Badu's status as a modern day legend.

And I am the last person to appreciate contention for the sake contention, but I really like the video, shocking without being overtly crass or tactless. But I suppose it depends on your context, I am not American and I don't the find the human form offensive.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Last edited by soccermom at Jul 17, 2010,
well here is another person disputing the legend myth. very average.

the video is in bad taste, and i really don't want to see that ugly 'phat ass' anywhere at all.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I love the human form, I think the video is tasteless/senseless, and the "phat ass" doesn't do I thing for me. Again just IMO.
Hey, blues and jazz fans being old and fogeylike? That's a turn up for the books. You lot are too easily offended. I think the video's shit though.

Madlib is a modern day jazz legend

As for Ms. Badu, I can take her or leave her. I love some tracks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAjOhBlnlwQ (The Healer), but her voice can irritate me sometimes.
My apoligies to the OP, I didn't mean to come off as insulting. I'm a guitarist so legend to me would be a list that would start with names like Page, Clapton, Beck, and Richards. As far as vocalists, IMO, Badu wouldn't be on a list of legends yet, soul or otherwise. Again, IMO YMMV.
You guys all don't seem to quite 'get' Erykah Badu very well. For one, she's no guitar player so the word 'legend' can't be used to compare her to Page or Clapton. But in her own right, she's amazingly talented. One of the few people in the music business who have succeeded in becoming popular while doing what she wants, without record company pressure. If anyone ever gets the chance to see 'Before the Music Dies,' she's in that which is great.
For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skEvdFYtj4A

and also, great music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJWRlA-Sl4s Doyle bramhall's the guitarist there, who plays with Eric Clapton.
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Quote by medic24
I think the video is tasteless/senseless.

I think you're being flippant, on what grounds is it 'senseless'. I think you can accuse Badu of being a lot of things, but not senseless. The location is to represent the assassination of individuality. And was shot in one take, and unplanned, punk or what fam.
Quote by Malakian88

Indeed.
The whole video was uncalled for, If she wants to represent the assassination of individuality, she ought to write lyrics about it, not strip down where JFK was shot.
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
So hang on, a video that gets her publicity?! How can she lose? People are listening to her music.
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
It's incredibly insensitive, she's also doing it in public.
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
Yes she is a legend. Her talent and appeal is very understated. She isn't going to get your attention with some fancy guitar solo to prove how talented she is. She is not going to be fully appreciated by someone who views musical 'legends' because of their technical skill. It's alot harder to sing with as much soul as she does and write good songs than it is to do some fancy guitar work. You gotta let her music sink in to get the full affect of how amazing it is. Repeated listens.

She is as relevant as anything else thats happening musically at the moment that the contemporary R&B audience is listening to, while at the same being alot more talented than everything that else is going on (Apart from maybe Janelle Monae, she is someone to watch out for.) Not to mention just as talented as any singer out there now and making music just as good as anything thats happening.

It's hard to compare her and see whos better between her and the jazz/soul singers from the past as music has progressed from then and her sound has more hip hop sound to it. But it is a continuation of soul and its damn good. So she is a soul legend for being able to put out music thats as good as soul from the past while still expanding on the music from the past and making it relevant today.

I'd rather listen to her over clapton, page, beck, richards any day of the week. Why? Her music has a lot of heart in it.

The video? I like it. Maybe some people didn't want to see her naked in the street. But lets face it, it's america sex and nudity are everywhere don't see why it's a big deal.
I think you guys are beating down a straw man by saying people in this thread don't think she's a legend because she doesn't play guitar, as a whole. Only one person made that argument, and still said he didn't consider her a legend by soul singer standards, either.

Honestly, "legend" gets thrown around a lot. I think it's hard for a current artist whose career hasn't played out to be widely considered a legend.

All that said, neither her music or her voice do all that much for me.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
There was an insightful interview with her on The Monique Show the other night. You can watch it here if you'd like, if you can get past Monique. She speaks about the video in question and other things.

The video isn't meant to just be, oh, everybody learn to get naked in public. It's more about not being afraid to be your own individual and shedding your outer skin or clothing hiding your true self. It's like that M.I.A. video in that just about the only way to get a message across anymore is by outrage. Anger people and then try to point them in the right direction. I realize not everyone can appreciate that. Not everyone has a problem with their individuality, just like not everyone's country is affected by genocide, but to the ones who can relate, it means a whole lot.

Also, I like her music and her singing very much. In that genre, there really isn't much better, in my opinion, which is one reason why she's held in such high regard, but she's a legend for what she stands for beyond that. She's a role model for many people in her ideals. To lead people and universalize them in that manner, I absolutely consider her a legend, but it depends on your perspective as to whether it means anything to you.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I think you guys are beating down a straw man by saying people in this thread don't think she's a legend because she doesn't play guitar, as a whole. Only one person made that argument, and still said he didn't consider her a legend by soul singer standards, either.

Honestly, "legend" gets thrown around a lot. I think it's hard for a current artist whose career hasn't played out to be widely considered a legend.

All that said, neither her music or her voice do all that much for me.

Forget straw man, I didn't even present an argument! I just made a tongue in cheek reference to her ass, because as someone pointed out, people perceive different people in different ways. For me it's her character and her presence in the scene, she has touched on everywhere from the mainstream to backpack rap.

And forget the video, I will take it down, if that's all you are going to talk about. Eric Clapton (to quote someone's 'legend' in here) once said 'We are a white country. I don't want fucking wogs living next to me with their standards.'So does that make him a tacky racist twat? No, stop being so sensitive.
Quote by Malakian88

Indeed.
bumpin' because i'm prepared to say that New Amerykah Pt 1 was the best album that came out in 2008.

plus, blues and jazz is a slow forum. at least people got fired up before, even if it was in a negative way.