I was wondering the same thing myself.

Here's what I found a while back:EMG comparison

To me the EMG 81X sounds muddier and the EMG 85X sounds brighter when compared to the normal EMG 81 and 85.
Last edited by guitaristren at Jul 16, 2010,
EMG X's effectively defeat the purpose of having an active pickup. (imo.)

They are similar to SD Blackouts, and at that point it's just preference. I can't see myself getting either the EMG X's or the Blackouts.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
EMG X's effectively defeat the purpose of having an active pickup. (imo.)

They are similar to SD Blackouts, and at that point it's just preference. I can't see myself getting either the EMG X's or the Blackouts.

Well, technology marches on. A new preamp design after 25 years is a good thing. Plus, actives are way quiet compared to a passive.

I have a regular 707TW, and the single coil mode doesn't suffer a huge volume drop like tapping a passive humbucker coil.
^yeah, I'm not saying it's bad, and obviously a lot of people like them, I was just stating my view on them.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I like em, a friend of mine put them in his C-1, they sound better through an SS amp too. I might put a pair of 81X's in my LTD.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
if the EMGx sounds a bit more "organic" why not do the 18v mod on the standard EMG pickups? Doesn't that do the same thing?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun
if the EMGx sounds a bit more "organic" why not do the 18v mod on the standard EMG pickups? Doesn't that do the same thing?

The X's sound more natural than the 18V mod, or so I read.

Also, it's not easy to fit 2 9v batteries in a guitar, especially one that wasn't even designed for one.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The X's sound more natural than the 18V mod, or so I read.

Also, it's not easy to fit 2 9v batteries in a guitar, especially one that wasn't even designed for one.

i had a hard time fitting one 9v in my rg lol
Quote by colgo889
i had a hard time fitting one 9v in my rg lol

Yeah man, I have a regular TW in the neck of my 7621. I routed out the cavity to fit 2-batteries, but that pull pot takes up a lot of space. If I get 2-707TWX's, I don't think I'll be able to swing the 18 volts, but I'll try. The new solderless pots prolly take up even more space.

Quote by midnightlaundry
Yeah man, I have a regular TW in the neck of my 7621. I routed out the cavity to fit 2-batteries, but that pull pot takes up a lot of space. If I get 2-707TWX's, I don't think I'll be able to swing the 18 volts, but I'll try. The new solderless pots prolly take up even more space.

Solderless pots? I was not aware of these.
Quote by colgo889
Solderless pots? I was not aware of these.

Yeah... EMG's have solderless connections, or at least most of them do now. That's why you find them in so many more guitars these days, and they're pretty cheap.

That's basically the reason why the new Schecter Damien Elite series starts at $500, and the the Schecter Hellraiser Special's are $600.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Yeah... EMG's have solderless connections, or at least most of them do now. That's why you find them in so many more guitars these days, and they're pretty cheap.

That's basically the reason why the new Schecter Damien Elite series starts at $500, and the the Schecter Hellraiser Special's are $600.

I think i like solder too much. Its just so much fun to melt down a whole thing of it on to cardboard and play with it.
even with the "solderless" connections, id still connect them and dab some solder on them to ensure the absolute best connection

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
what if someone did the 18 v mod to the emg x's? what would that be like?
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by primusclaypool1
what if someone did the 18 v mod to the emg x's? what would that be like?

The world would explode.

.... Well no. I doubt there would be much of a difference. If anything, it might sound worse.

I'm pretty sure the X series EMGs are supposed to be like what EMG's would sound like with an 18V mod.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
The world would explode.

.... Well no. I doubt there would be much of a difference. If anything, it might sound worse.

I'm pretty sure the X series EMGs are supposed to be like what EMG's would sound like with an 18V mod.

Not exactly. From what I can find, the preamp has been tweeked for lower gain internally so you can get more range without cliping. Comparing specs to the old design, the X's single notes put out the same voltage. But when strumming chords, the output is nearly doubled compared to the old design. This should be good.

According to the tech notes, each time you double the power voltage, you double the dynamic range. So an 18v X-pickup might be totally insane.

http://emginc.com/content/wiringdiagrams/Power%20Tips%200230-0197A.pdf