I'm bored so I'm thinking of taking on the task of building a Mustang with a warmoth body with a Fender neck that has jumbo frets instead of the standard short scale neck. What I'm wondering is what kind of bridge should I put on it if I actually follow through with this project? I don't want a fender bridge and I'm kind of iffy on the TOM bridges. I realise the bridge is the biggest problem with this Mustangs.

Oh and watch me make this guitar for less than a 65 reissue Fender Mustang!!!!!
Warmoth's Mustang bodies are strictly 24" scale and only come with the typical Mustang bridge rout. If you phone 'em up they'll amke you a Mustang body with no bridge rout so you can rout and fit the bridge yourself, but that's the closest you'll come - it will still be 24" and a ''regular'' Fender neck won't work with it. An actual 25.5" scale Mustang with whatever bridge is a proper custom order, I'm sure they could make it but you would need to supply them with very precise, perfectly to-scale designs and be prepared for it to cost a lot.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you get the body with no bridge route, you can put the bridge where you want and have a 25 1/2 scale mustang. Doesn't sound like you are committed to having a trem, so all you need to do is to drill few holes where they need to be. (Precisely where they need to be, but that's easy to look up.)
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Quote by Ratraisin
If you get the body with no bridge route, you can put the bridge where you want and have a 25 1/2 scale mustang. Doesn't sound like you are committed to having a trem, so all you need to do is to drill few holes where they need to be. (Precisely where they need to be, but that's easy to look up.)

Yeah I have no qualms about drilling into the mustang body myself, I can do all of that on my own. Also no I'm not, I don't use whammy bars in my playing so it's no biggie and if need be I can just use my strat for that. As for the neck, I can't just plop any fender neck on there?
Last edited by SmokeJs at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by SmokeJs
Yeah I have no qualms about drilling into the mustang body myself, I can do all of that on my own. Also no I'm not, I don't use whammy bars in my playing so it's no biggie and if need be I can just use my strat for that. As for the neck, I can't just plop any fender neck on there?

I'm not certain the standard heel size matches the pocket. Warmoth could tell you that and make the pocket to fit. The more you get them to do, though, the pricier it gets. I've never bought from them, But I've played with the neck builder a few times and the price get crazy.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Quote by Ratraisin
I'm not certain the standard heel size matches the pocket. Warmoth could tell you that and make the pocket to fit. The more you get them to do, though, the pricier it gets. I've never bought from them, But I've played with the neck builder a few times and the price get crazy.

I could probably extend the pocket myself and move down the bridge as nessicary. Afterall, it is a project guitar.
Second question.. would it just be better to buy a Fender Mustang body rather than a Warmoth one?
Quote by SmokeJs
Second question.. would it just be better to buy a Fender Mustang body rather than a Warmoth one?

no considering the mustang guitar in general is shitty ass guitar that deserves to be called a squier. fender just throws their mustang together with plywood and cheap parts, slaps a vintage 65 sticker on it and sell it for 1000usd. at least with warmoth you get a quality tone wood.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Skagasm
no considering the mustang guitar in general is shitty ass guitar that deserves to be called a squier. fender just throws their mustang together with plywood and cheap parts, slaps a vintage 65 sticker on it and sell it for 1000usd. at least with warmoth you get a quality tone wood.

Alder would probably fit on a mustang style body yes? I want to make a super stang' because I love the tone they can get and I love the phase switches on them while boosting the pick-ups output with redlace sensor pick-ups or hot rail pickups. Maybe I'll keep the short scale neck because I hear that effects their tone.