So I have a Schecter Strategy with a 25.5" scale length. I keep it tuned in C standard, and it has a tremolo bridge and locking nut. I use 9 gauge strings. Are these too thin for my tuning? How thick should the strings be? Please don't say "whatever feels right", there has to be some sort of accepted convention on this.
I would think that something around .11s at least if not higher. but ya know whatever feels right to ya . Only kidding, but I think it will sound much better with a much higher string gauge, espcially with that tuning.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
the accepted convention is whatever feels right to you.

my advice is you should be playing a baritone

my other advice is that i'd be using 13s.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Agreed on 13s.
I use 12s in D standard and that feels right.
I'll try .11s. I talked with one guy who knew his stuff, he said that i should use a low string gauge because of my thin fingers.
i would say you def. need bigger strings. i use 11s. and play in standard.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Also, is my low string gauge hurting my playing because the strings are too loose? How is it affecting my sound?
Quote by AcousticMirror
the accepted convention is whatever feels right to you.

my advice is you should be playing a baritone

my other advice is that i'd be using 13s.

A baritone for Drop C, I think you have gas man. I keep my Strat in Drop C all the time, cause I'm lame like that.

For Drop C .011's is what you want, should be the same tension of .009's in standard.

I like to use a Jazz/Blues Rock gauge of strings, which has a .049 top and and .011 bottom.
Quote by ethan_hanus
A baritone for Drop C, I think you have gas man. I keep my Strat in Drop C all the time, cause I'm lame like that.

For Drop C .011's is what you want, should be the same tension of .009's in standard.

I like to use a Jazz/Blues Rock gauge of strings, which has a .049 top and and .011 bottom.

ya he said said c standard. that's why i said baritone...
plus I already got one.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
ya he said said c standard. that's why i said baritone...
plus I already got one.

Oh, drop C Standard, that's a whole nother world or hurt.

Yeah, .012's or .13's would be best.

I've gone down to Drop A with my Strat, using .010's, had to play very lightly, but I had EMG's when I did it, so the attack was insane.
Well the tone will probably be more clear and chunky in the lower tuning if you have heavier gauge. I say .12 for C standard.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5