Poll: In a religious debate..
Poll Options
View poll results: In a religious debate..
I'm religious, i'm willing to accept i might be wrong about god
19 10%
I'm not religious, i'm willing to accept i might be wrong about god
115 63%
I'm religious, i'm not willing to accept that i might be wrong about god
11 6%
I'm not religious, i'm not willing to accept that i might be wrong about god
39 21%
Voters: 184.
Page 1 of 3
This question is to both religious and non religious.

Given that most religions teach any kind of doubt in God as a sin, when you take part in a debate with an atheist or anyone arguing against the existance of god , do you go into the debate with the mindset that you can't be wrong and your opinion will never be changed? Basically, are you willing to have your mind changed in a debate if the opposition make good points against you?

This also applies to the other side, if you are in a debate with a religious person, would you be also willing to accept that you might lose? Even if you really think you won't?

I ask this since i really feel that when debating any subject, you should go into the debate with an open mind or at least be willing to accept that you MIGHT lose the debate, you might be wrong. If you can't do that then why bother debating? You'd obviously never change your mind anyway so it's pointless.

I'm gonna put a poll up in a minute so we can get a better idea of how things pan out.

edit: in short (and this applies to both sides too), would there ever be a point in the debate where you would admit defeat? Is there anything at all that can be done that would make you say 'okay, you're actually right about this and i was wrong'?

edit2: please read the OP, this isn't a debate about god being real or not, it's about your mindset and if you're willing to have your mind changed..
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jul 16, 2010,
You can't be wrong nor right about something you can't prove.

Also, I'm not religious and I'm not willing to accept I'm wrong but I'm not saying I'm right when I argue. I'm just giving my opinion on the subject.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Ah, the age old debate is now getting old.

I don't want this to be people debating religion, i want this to be people debating their attitudes towards a religious debate. If they are willing to accept that they're wrong if indeed they lose the debate.
I'm open to the idea that I could be wrong about my beliefs. So far, I haven't seen a reason to think this.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I don't want this to be people debating religion, i want this to be people debating their attitudes towards a religious debate. If they are willing to accept that they're wrong if indeed they lose the debate.

I know, but you and everyone else who see's this thread knows where it's gona head, straight to UG hell.
the fact is no one loses or wins this debate. the question simply cannot be answered.
Really, if you aren't willing to accept that you could be wrong as an atheist you're kind of a moron. There's no real reason to believe in god but there's definitely no way to be sure there isn't one.
I certainly have a pretty set opinion in my anti-theist views, and that makes me a non-sceptic in a way, because sceptics demand to be proven wrong, to see opposing views and consider them equally. I try not to get into religious arguments anymore. They are frustrating to the point of tears, and every single person has not been able to rationally argue, or stop the conversation the second proof starts coming into it. All of my friends from my old Catholic school are convinced that I am a test sent to them by God to see how strong and unwavering their faith is. Most frustrating part? They havent, nor can I get them to, read the Bible. And they take it literally, right down to the sun revolving around the Earth bit.

It's a stalemate, and all atheists can hope for is to remove all of the church's power over social and political matters. Making them nonbelievers is too frustrating to bother.
...In my opinion.
I'm not that religious but I look at it as God is just another word for conscience.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Oh jesus...

He doesn't exist, prove me wrong.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
Really, if you aren't willing to accept that you could be wrong as an atheist you're kind of a moron. There's no real reason to believe in god but there's definitely no way to be sure there isn't one.

You can't prove there is a deity in a debate. So you could go into a debate knowing you can't be wrong but you can't think you'll be right either.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
You guys this isnt a religious debate. Its a debate about a debate on how we debate. Debate
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by RockGuitar92
You can't prove there is a deity in a debate. So you could go into a debate knowing you can't be wrong but you can't think you'll be right either.

This is true, but the question in the poll is asking if you accept that you could be wrong about god.
Quote by damian_91
He doesn't exist, prove me wrong.

He does exist. Prove ME wrong.

There, ya see, everybody? That's basically how it works.
I'm atheist, but I could be wrong. I'm wrong all the time, I don't see how I could't be wrong about this. My belief may get me reincarnated as an ant or perhaps just sent to hell but eh
sure, I'd be willing to accept that I'm wrong.

if that happened, I'd probably start worshiping Lilith.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jul 16, 2010,
My stance on the god issue is neither "YES, HE EXISTS, DON'T DOUBT IT!" nor "God doesn't exist, dummy". I believe that we don't KNOW FOR A FACT one way or another, so belief is not a bad thing, and neither is a lack of belief. I'm tolerant of other people's religions and religious views, but I am not tolerant of intolerance of other people's religions and religious views.

I DO believe that religious communities can offer great comfort and welcome to people in their times of need, and when people try to flaunt their atheism by claiming that all the bad in this world is because of religion, I get upset.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by ethan_hanus
He doesn't exi.....wait a minute, I'm a Christian. Stupid mind games.

HA! I win! He exists!

...wait. I'm an avid atheist....

F*CK!
Quote by stratdud39
Obviously he doesn't exist. He's dead.

I know it's a Nietzche reference, but I don't know anything beyond that he at one point said, "God is dead." Could you please explain it for me?
I try to keep my points in a religious debate short and sweet. I don't go barging in to tear people down just for the hell of it. I never insult the person, I question them..

I don't have a problem with people wanting to practice religion, its totally in human nature, I just don't have respect for any kind of church/temple/synagogue/whatever. Its all one corrupt mess, thats why I don't like to identify with it. But what also bothers me is people that go to church but don't do it for faith, they do it for the clubs/activities/community service

I do try to keep and open mind and be respectful, even though sometimes tolerance is hard when you have never been to church and understand what someone else believes.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
This is true, but the question in the poll is asking if you accept that you could be wrong about god.

In the OP he talks about when debating though. So...
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by guitarsftw
My stance on the god issue is neither "YES, HE EXISTS, DON'T DOUBT IT!" nor "God doesn't exist, dummy". I believe that we don't KNOW FOR A FACT one way or another, so belief is not a bad thing, and neither is a lack of belief. I'm tolerant of other people's religions and religious views, but I am not tolerant of intolerance of other people's religions and religious views.

I DO believe that religious communities can offer great comfort and welcome to people in their times of need, and when people try to flaunt their atheism by claiming that all the bad in this world is because of religion, I get upset.

I don't have problem with beliefs, I have problems with believers. Not average every day believers mind you, but extremist groups like the extreme Muslim and Israeli groups, or the Westboro Baptist Church.

Actually, after some thought, I've come to a realization. Bhuddists and Hindus are the only major religion that never bomb shit or generally act like dicks to people who don't think what they believe. I think that makes them correct in some manner.
Quote by SeveralSpecies

no, its not. i was going to say that to him, but then realized that he WAS crucified. WASN'T HE?! You would be right if he had said that jesus NEVER existed...then again, if you count god as an existence then I'm wrong...but I'm not saying Jesus is god...there's no way for me to know whether or not he is...
But that' where the non religious people have the upper hand! Christians say that Jesus is god. There's no real proof that he's god. There's also no real proof that he isn't god, but then i could just say that I think Scooby Doo is god and you wouldnt be able to prove me wrong. All I'M saying is there's no way to know whether or not he's god. there's no way to find out who he is. AND I'M RIGHT. But then again, the main debate is atheists vs. non-atheist...
I feel like I answered wrong, because I said I am not willing to accept that I'm wrong, but I am willing to accept I'm wrong, just not in debate. I am not going to let someone tell me that their religion is right and mine is wrong, that's just stupid. But then I won't say that theirs is wrong. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, respect it.
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
i dont believe in god, or any religion for that matter, but im a 'see it to believe it' kinda guy, and its all opinion i suppose, and belief, but really, a book doesnt justify there being someone in the sky for me
Quote by SeveralSpecies

I asked first.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by guitarsftw

And likewise, I hate it when certain religous people lash out at atheists, its not fair either way. There will always be the inconsiderate nubs who need attention. Bad comes from alot more than just religion, but still some bad does come from it. The problem is everyone will not be able to accept differences ...
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by stratdud39
no, its not. i was going to say that to him, but then realized that he WAS crucified. WASN'T HE?! You would be right if he had said that jesus NEVER existed...then again, if you count god as an existence then I'm wrong...but I'm not saying Jesus is god...there's no way for me to know whether or not he is...
But that' where the non religious people have the upper hand! Christians say that Jesus is god. There's no real proof that he's god. There's also no real proof that he isn't god, but then i could just say that I think Scooby Doo is god and you wouldnt be able to prove me wrong. All I'M saying is there's no way to know whether or not he's god. there's no way to find out who he is. AND I'M RIGHT. But then again, the main debate is atheists vs. non-atheist...

Errrr. Wat?

Quote by damian_91
I asked first.

.....I uhhh.....hmmm.....

Look! A bear!

*runs*
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by cornmancer
I know it's a Nietzche reference, but I don't know anything beyond that he at one point said, "God is dead." Could you please explain it for me?

read my other post and see if i kind of answered your question in any way.
I'm willing to accept I may be wrong (I'm not religious), but honestly I really don't think anyone could ever convince me in a debate. It's really not about winning or losing for me, I like collecting thoughts, my own as much as those of others, so as long as theirs aren't complete bullshit I'm more than willing (and will surely like) to debate.
Page 1 of 3