Hey, so I've had a guitar for a little while and taught myself basic techniques, skills, and stuff like that, but I'm really starting to get serious into learning now, so I was wondering if any of you more experienced guys out there could give me some advice on what to focus on learning, how to learn it, etc... I unno if this sounds dumb, but im really into learning on my own, but my problem is that I dont exactly know lmao... So any advice would be awesome

Thanks
im self taught as well and if your like me and you can play little riffs and things but you really wanna work on shredding and speed go ahead and learn some scales and just play them over and over again starting at a slow tempo till you master that speed then move up the tempo and eventually u can start linking scales and making a solo of some sort.
your welcome man. i asked the same question and i haven't really been working on it a hell of a lot but ive been working on sweep picking and i practice my scales and i have become a better lead player. i got rhythm down but i want my lead to be stronger. you know?
1) Use the internet to your advantage. There's boatloads of information out there if you just search for it. Always remember to cross reference because there is bad information out there.
2) Learn what's most important for you at the moment. For example, if the music you really want to play uses a lot of alternate picking but you're not that good at it, work on that a lot.
3) Keep an eye on your technique at all times. Just remember the less tension you have in your body and the smaller motions you make, the better. It's hard not to develop bad habits when you're self-taught because you have to be the judge of your technique. So stay relaxed when you play.
4) Pretty obvious one but sometimes overlooked: Pain is bad. If you feel pain then you're doing something wrong and you should take another look at how you're playing or post a video of you playing in the technique analysis thread.
This is not to be confused with a burning sensation, which is good because it means your hands/fingers are getting stronger.
5) I find Freepower's Videos are good for self-taught people. He teaches the important things (posture, technique, and even a small bit of theory).

Well that's all I can think of for now... Cheers.
i was self taught and used online guitar lessons , i got to a decent standard then started going to open mic nights, these are great as you meet loads of different players and you can get tips off them and learn a load through jamming with others.

I've got my own band now and i love it ... who says ya gotta spend a load of money on lessons!!
Don't teach yourself.
Look up a good teacher, let him guide you technique-wise, let him teach you theory and then kick him out and start building upon yourself.
Once you learn how to play the technique excercises keep practicing until you improve, the most important part is learning theory though.
So let him put you on the right track and then fly away.
Get a real teacher, a good teacher before you develop too many bad playing habits, I tried self taught then finally after about a year I got a teacher and it was hard relearning some technique, and then later when I got to university (majoring in jazz guitar) I admit: my private teachers destroyed me and I had to almost completely relearn all of my technique and it was brutal, all because I didn't properly learn it originally.

And after all the effort, finally having proper technique makes playing so much easier, makes my hands feel more comfortable playing, I sound better, I play better, I feel better. Long story short.. get a teacher, start right, feel good.
If you really can't get a teacher, then I say the best advice is discipline. At least that's my case. And a key to technique is to listen to yourself, and make sure you find your weaknesses and strenght, you have to really evaluate yourself.

If you can, record yourself, and pay attention to your mistakes. Also keep the recording all the time you do so, you can listen to yourself later and see the progress you have made.

It's important that you don't take shortcuts. If something doesn't sound perfect to your ear, make it sound perfect. There's no "Oh ok it's that bad". It must be perfect. That's very important.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 18, 2010,
Basically everything thats been said in this thread, but if you can't get a teacher, practice, practice makes permanent, perfect practice makes perfect.

I'm self taught, been playing for a few years, and my technique isn't horrible, or so others say. It's all about practicing correctly, learn the theory behind the technique, and when you're actually learning the technique (for arguments sake, lets say you're learning palm muting or something like that), actually play songs that use the technique. Scales and things get boring very quickly, as will little exercises for each technique. If you can find a song that makes heavy usage, or at least features the technique you are learning, it makes the whole learning process much more interesting, not to mention you start to build up a repetoire of songs you've learnt, and can then play.