So, I was at a local music store today and I found a few BC Rich's hanging on the wall. One that really caught my eye was the Mockingbird and the dual split pick ups. I took if off the hanger and started playing the living hell out of it. I played 4 full songs and it didn't go out of tune, the volume and tone stayed exactly the same, nothing changed while I was playing it. I was playing SOOOOO fast too, I even amazed myself. I swear, I could probably play the solo to Maxwell Murderer if I want to. The neck is so sleek and fast. The pick ups sounded really good, but I think I'd switch them out with EMGs. But, I have no idea if they're actives or not. I just want to get your guys opinion on this bass. Is it worth buying?
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
If you like the sound and the feel of it, go for it. IMO there are better basses for the money, but I base that entirely on personal preference. The Mockingbird is one of the better BC Rich's out there, in a completely different league then the dreadful low end stuff BC Rich churns out. Plus its not a metal monstrosity that could double as a axe or a mace (no offense intended to anyone who likes pointy basses).

If it "clicks" with you, and it's within your budget, whats not to love?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The pickups were my only problem. I have a feeling, since they're stock, they'll die pretty fast and I have no idea if they're active or not. I tried going on BC Rich's website, Musicians friend, and guitar center and they just said "2 BC Rich P Style Pick ups". I want to switch them out with EMGs because...mostly just because I feel more comfortable with EMGs and I think they'll last me a lot longer.

Edit:
And another reason I'm unsure of putting in EMGs is because there's two sets of split pick ups, and I have no idea how the hell I'm going to set it up.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Last edited by Nolanrox at Jul 17, 2010,
^ there shouldn't be anything wrong with the stock pickups. Pickups are just magnets and wire, its not like they're going to wear out unless they've had years to corrode and degrade. If you really wanted to switch them out to EMG's you could probably find wiring diagrams online somewhere, or you could always take it to a tech.

EDIT: I'd assume the stock pickups are passive. The Mockingbird does have an active EQ though.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jul 17, 2010,
I'll probably have to take it to a tech. But thanks for your opinion Tosti. Always glad to have it.

Edit:
If I get actives, I probably have to switch out the EQ. I'm just going to buy two sets and take it to a tech and say "Do your thing."
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
I always wanted to try the 5-string Mockingbird bass. Never found one, though. The 4-string version I played was very nice. As others have said, it is light-years better than the really low-end basses that B.C. Rich is (unfortunately) known for.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
My guitarist is like "You can never decide what kind of bass to get, and BC Rich sucks, blah blah blah." So I'm all sad and I can't figure out if I really want it now =\
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
I would go for it. They're the only BC Riches I can stand to play.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
I like getting your opinion, six, I'm not gonna lie. You seem like you have a lot of experience.
But on a lot of reviews, they've said that the body was lighter than the neck and head, so it makes a big nose dive and you have to keep the neck up yourself, or get a really heavy duty strap. So that kinda turned me away from it. Mostly because it was like 5 reviews that said it. Not 1. I think I'm going to get the ATK still.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Don't do it... Reviews do say that neck diving is a problem, and that's a living hell if you're going to play live. BC Rich make very big and heavy basses, something I don't like.
The long and short of it is if you like it get it. We can't decide what's good for you as a bass player because as bass players ourselves we're all different. Personally it's rare you'd find me looking at anything other than fender jazz basses but I'd doubt that you were so in to them.

Just go back to the shop and play it a few more times. If you still feel the same about it after the second and third trial of it then it's clearly the bass for you.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by FatalGear41
I always wanted to try the 5-string Mockingbird bass. Never found one, though.

I think you have to buy a custom one to get a 5 string version.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by skater dan0
The long and short of it is if you like it get it. We can't decide what's good for you as a bass player because as bass players ourselves we're all different. Personally it's rare you'd find me looking at anything other than fender jazz basses but I'd doubt that you were so in to them.

Just go back to the shop and play it a few more times. If you still feel the same about it after the second and third trial of it then it's clearly the bass for you.

I love Jazz Basses. And I love Precision Basses. I like the (what I call) PB&J bass. The split coil on top, and jazz bass single coil on the bottom. I'm really thinking of saving up for a Mark Hoppus bass because they have the split coil with a jazz bass body, and they have one in pink! =D
But really, if I could afford a Jazz bass, a good MIA jazz bass, I'd definitely get one. But I really don't have the money for that. Plus the Mockingbird was on sale for $600. And the ATK is $500. So I really wasn't look on spending much, mostly because I don't have a lot of money. But like I said. I'm also looking at the Mark Hoppus bass, any reviews on that?

EDIT:
The Mark Hoppus bass as pretty much everything I could ask for. Jazz bass body, split coil pick up. The pick ups is a bassline SPB which is just what I was going to switch it out with anyway, and it just has a volume knob. So I can mess around with the tone on my ODB-3 and maybe get like...a Bluebeard or a Sansamp in the future.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Nolanrox; I'm sorry to go a bit off topic here but I'd like to ask you if Ibanez SR300's are good or not... I mainly play Death Metal, sound is no big deal for me, my amp / pedal handles that, I'm looking for comfort and speed. Is the action on it good for speed? Is it not to big / heavy, and is it comfortable to play live or does it have neck diving? I'll be joining a serious band soon and really need to get rid of my BC Rich, because it really is holding me back on my skill and speed.

As for the Mockingbird, skater dan0 is right. Go back and try it out for a while, play some songs on it and if you still love it get it. Try everything on it, the store is fine with you trying it out - unless they are disgusting bastards like in a store I know... If you're not sure, don't get it and look into other basses. All I can tell you is that I am not 100% satisfied with my BC Rich.
I'm not a big fan of the 300. I like the 600 and the 700 a lot more. A few reasons I don't like the 300 is because it's heavy, the pick ups are curved so you tend to hit them a lot when you play with a pick. The neck is a little awkward too. Medium frets are not my thing, since I have long fingers, I over shoot frets. Personally, I don't like the SR. But you might think other wise.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Hellhammerr

All I can tell you is that I am not 100% satisfied with my BC Rich.

thats cause you admitted it was a bronze and incorrectly setup the mockingbirds in this case especially are totally diffrent beasts and the playability on them are brilliant their the best of the BC's and they totally slay a lot of bassists from the likes of Kim Gordon to Dave Ellefson used them :P They suit a lot of diffrent genre's aswell :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Razgriz_101

thats cause you admitted it was a bronze and incorrectly setup the mockingbirds in this case especially are totally diffrent beasts and the playability on them are brilliant their the best of the BC's and they totally slay a lot of bassists from the likes of Kim Gordon to Dave Ellefson used them :P They suit a lot of diffrent genre's aswell :P

OMG Stop stalking me!!!
Quote by Hellhammerr
OMG Stop stalking me!!!

lol everytime i see you in a topic related to a bc rich you post a similar drone-ish reply based off the bronze.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
my old bassist had a mockingbird and his only complaint was the fact thats its neck heavy. meaning that when he let go of the bass with a strap on it would even its self out. but it was really solid. for the punk/trashy band we we're in. his only set back was his behringer half stack. but thats a different story.

so: GETITIFYOULIKEIT
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10