Okay, so I want to buy some new gear soon and I'm basically deciding between the POD X3 and the Peavey 6505+ 1x12 Combo. I like the recording possibilities of the POD (especially the dual tone thing), but I've also heard that the Peavey is like a 5150. I really want to get the tone of the band 'Black Pajent'. Here's their MySpace link so you can hear this tone that I'm talking about: http://www.myspace.com/blackpajentband. I specifically want to get the tones from the songs "The End", "The Prodigal", and "With These Hands". They use Peavey 5150 heads with Basson 4x12 Cabs. I know that they've used these ever since they started. Okay, once again, I would just like to know if I could get the guitar tone from those songs (or something very close) by using either the Line 6 POD X3 or the Peavey 6505 1x12 Combo. I can't thank you people who help me out enough. I've asked this many times in many places and have never gotten an answer.
Tone wise, the Peavey should nail it dead on if their current amplifier is a 5150. A POD can recreate it alongside with effects and as you've stated, obvious recording possibilities. My opinion? I'd get the 6505 but consider this:

Need to record soon?
Neighbors will handle the Peavey's growling volume?
Need effects?
Need different tones for different styles?
Are you a tone-purist?

Etc, etc.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by RR787
Tone wise, the Peavey should nail it dead on if their current amplifier is a 5150. A POD can recreate it alongside with effects and as you've stated, obvious recording possibilities. My opinion? I'd get the 6505 but consider this:

Need to record soon?
Neighbors will handle the Peavey's growling volume?
Need effects?
Need different tones for different styles?
Are you a tone-purist?

Etc, etc.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply. I live out in a more rural area of Montana, but I still got neighbors. They just ain't super close. I have a depressive black metal solo-project entitled, 'Gurut'. I have just gotten signed to a label so, yes, I will be recording a little more often from now on. I'm sure that the neighbors, however, would be okay with the Peavey's volume. The only effects that I really use are a slight chorus (sometimes), reverb, and delay. Although, I do like to have the option to use more if I would desire to do so. Yes, I would need different tones for different styles. I have a thrash/speed metal side project that I do with some friends, I do blues, black metal, metalcore (and various other 'core's), and death metal. I wouldn't consider myself a tone 'purist'. I am not biased to any particular kind of amplifier or processer. I just want something that sounds good. So, what are your final thoughts now that I've given some more information? POD or 6505? Thanks again man.
well, w/ the pod you would need a way to amplify it if you want to play with other people. 6505 combo doesn't have an effects loop, i don't think, so using the effects you metioned wouldn't really work, but you could add them after you record; you just couldn't use them live.
My advise is to look up clips of both on youtube, or where ever, just to hear what you like. the 6505 is really made for _JUST_ metal, it can do other things in a pinch, but not very well. So i'd say check out the POD and all of it's sounds, and maybe look at other modeling units. And try to use them yourself, if at all possible.
Quote by dark__echoes
well, w/ the pod you would need a way to amplify it if you want to play with other people. 6505 combo doesn't have an effects loop, i don't think, so using the effects you metioned wouldn't really work, but you could add them after you record; you just couldn't use them live.
My advise is to look up clips of both on youtube, or where ever, just to hear what you like. the 6505 is really made for _JUST_ metal, it can do other things in a pinch, but not very well. So i'd say check out the POD and all of it's sounds, and maybe look at other modeling units. And try to use them yourself, if at all possible.

I don't have any stores for a couple hundered miles where I could try this stuff. I've been listening to the clips of the POD and the 6505 on YouTube and they both do sound very good. You're right though, the 6505 is basically made for just metal. I'll have about $800 to $900 when I buy something. That way, if I were to buy the POD, I could start getting a PA put together. Until then, I would be able to run the POD through my amp. I don't play with other people all too often though. Even when I'm not recording for my solo-project, my other 'band members' never help me record. They just help co-write small portions of the songs.
Just that I'd add that if anyone who has a POD (X3 preferably) that has this tone or a tone very similar, could you please link me to a clip of that tone? On YouTube or whatever. Thanks.
Or if anyone finds clips that have that guitar tone that I talked about. A link to that would be great too.
if you're playing with a band/gigging then i'd get the actual amp, the peavey. if you're recording and playing at home the pod would be a better option, for its recording capability and versatility
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
if you're playing with a band/gigging then i'd get the actual amp, the peavey. if you're recording and playing at home the pod would be a better option, for its recording capability and versatility

Okay, man. Yeah, I won't be gigging for a while. Not until I finish high school at least. So, tone wise, the POD would be a little more versatile and have great tone still right?
line 6 vetta ftw
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Gurut
Okay, man. Yeah, I won't be gigging for a while. Not until I finish high school at least. So, tone wise, the POD would be a little more versatile and have great tone still right?

yeah
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
line 6 vetta ftw

This.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
In terms of quality of tone, and assuming the neighbors aren't going to be complaining about the noise, then the 6505 combo will probably serve you better.

The POD does, as has been previously, mentioned have a ton of effects presets, but if you don't have any intention of ever using them, then what's the point of getting a POD?

Also, while the POD can come close to emulating a tube amp, it's certainly not a replacement for one. If, on the other hand, you lived in an apartment where noise was a concern, then the POD would be a very good alternative.

I'm using GuitarPort/POD Farm atm because I can't use an amp in my current location, but I plan on getting a Blackstar H-5, or something similar, and running it through a 1X12 iso cab in the future, as the POD tone just can't compete w/ the tone generated from a tube amp.
^ This is true, I have the xt live and it´s great, but I also have a mesa boogie stiletto ace which the line 6 can not compete with. The pod´s are great but a tube amp is better.
Quote by sstony
^ This is true, I have the xt live and it´s great, but I also have a mesa boogie stiletto ace which the line 6 can not compete with. The pod´s are great but a tube amp is better.

I heard this tone test some guy posted awhile ago using a small Mesa combo, and the tone he was getting out of that thing w/ just a TS in front to boost was better than anything I've heard anyone do yet w/ a POD.

Again, if you can't run an amp in your own place for whatever reason, then a POD is definitely the way to go. But, if noise isn't going to be a prob for you, then get a real amp.

To the OP, I don't know what Peavey puts in their combos for speakers, but assuming they aren't already using V30s, you might want to replace the stock speakers w/ those.
Quote by sstony

I'd just like to remind you guys that I'm trying to get something close to that Black Pajent tone. I've gotten something close with my Line 6 Uber Metal distortion pedal by turning down the mids and the bass and gain and turning the treble up a little. So maybe that could help you guys a little, I don't know. Here's what that sounds like. (Yeah, the video's stupid, but I just recorded it and my friend made the video). I'm running it thru my Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 on the clean channel (duh). Don't remember the settings on that though. But once again, I'm trying to get that Black Pajent tone. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DeathMetalAngel123#p/a/u/0/Ltxy35jCRcE
Quote by RR787
This.

Expensive... I got up to about $800 that I'd be able to spend.